Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Am new to the site and will be soon in the running for a used Q7 3.0tdi.

Couple of Qs:

Is there anything in particular that I should look for?
    What sort of range would I get out of a tank? - mostly motorway mileage

Your help and answers would be greatly appreciated

0 0 0

2. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In reverse order!

Computer gets close to 600 miles range shown after a fill-up. Say 585 miles. Tank is 20 gall and close to 30mpg is possible on M-way.

Many, perhaps the majority, of UK Q7s seem to be S-line spec. which have totally black interiors including the headlining and personally I find it all a bit gloomy.

I chose a high spec. used SE with beige leather and grey/beige trim. Carpets are a curious mottled beige/grey which Audi regard as top quality. Overall a much more cheerful environment. Paint is mid grey, by the way.

Cheers, Andy
    Last edited by andynpz; 13-01-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    2007 3.0TDI SE Condor Grey with all the bells and whistles

0 0 0

3. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    20 Gallons.

What does that take to fill up then?

0 0 0

4. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure as I'm out of UK right now, but it's about 90 litres.

Doesn't hurt so much if you fill up with about 200 miles to go!

Cheers, Andy
    Last edited by andynpz; 13-01-2011 at 10:56 PM.
    2007 3.0TDI SE Condor Grey with all the bells and whistles

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    90 litres of diesel would cost £117.90 (going by my local rate)

The 3.0TDI is a great engine. Lots of torque and power. I can usuay get high 30's mpg in my A6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

6. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The tank is 100 litres, so upwards of £125 to fill it.

I usually get 550 miles to a tank if it's mostly motorway and not loaded with people / luggage. The reading is around 29MPG usually.

If the Mrs uses it for local stuff it's under 500 miles before the red light comes on.

I had a DTE tuning box on it and got mid 33 to 35MPG and an extra 40BHP which was well worth the investment. Sadly it suffered water ingress (live & learn ) but I would have another one.

I would definitely have an S-Line with technology pack as this will help resale.

Tyres are a real consideration. Running the standard 275 45 20 setup my Goodyear F1's lasted just over 15k miles of mostly motorway.

I swapped for a set of Hankook Ventus and they lasted 50k miles, so check the tyres!! At upwards of £200 a corner, they can put a dent in most people's wallets.

Discs & Pads are costly. I've replaced mine twice so far, and they cost over £700 through a dealer (the first time )so check the history.

Mine is 5 years old in June and in that time I've put 125k miles on it

1 0 0

7. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    very pricey then

0 0 0

8. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rather than start a new thread it'll keep it tidier if I post in here.

I'll be receiving my 2007 4.2TDI Q7 tomorrow, anybody on here drive one of those? What sort of MPG am I looking at? I know the book says 25MPG but my last car said 21 and I barely saw over 18.

Jam Man, how do you find the Hankook's? Do you feel you lose any grip running them? How are they in the wet?

Is parking the thing ever a problem? I presume multi story car parks can be a bit of bother.

I'm away working for the next 2 weeks so it'll be a while before I get to play with my new toy. Looking forward to figuring out how everything works, think I might have to go against my life rule of never read an instruction manual.

0 0 0

9. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've recently fitted another set of Hankooks and unless I really shove it into a roundabout there's no noticeable difference.

Certainly no lack of confidence in the wet, and we regularly go loaded with 2 kids and luggage. if there was a feeling of compromise on safety we simply wouldn't risk it.

I managed to pick up a nearly new set of Eagle F1's on the last change (after Hankook set #1) and felt very little difference other than they wore out so bloody quickly!

It could be said that you don't buy a Q7 to thrash around the twisty stuff?!

Also guessing that the 4.2 weighs more than the 3.0 so would potentially chew the edges off the tyres a bit quicker.

Multi storeys are no problem height wise but definitely an issue with the tight corners on the up & down ramps. The rear inside alloy has been clipped on ours a few times by me and Mrs Jam on the high kerbs in multi storeys. Also the sheer width means that the parent and child spaces are a must or it's difficult to find a space where you're not at risk of a ding on a door.

As said, We've topped 125k in ours over 4 years and can only see us having another one for the sheer comfort and practicality it's given us with a growing family, so don't let people put you off one. You get what you pay for and "pound for pound" we've found it good value. Now that used prices have dropped off it's probably better value than we've enjoyed.

Would definitely recommend a DTE tuning box though. Around £2-300 for the extra Oomph and MPG all in one.

1 0 0

10. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Jam Man, really helpful.

At some point I was planning on looking through the pages here to see what everyone thought of a tuning box. I work with a guy who just got one put in this 3.0TDI A8 and he says it's incredible. My only concern would be that the drivetrain might not be specced to cope with the extra torque over a long period of time. How long have you been running with the tuning box?

It's an RS6 I am trading in for the Q7 and it was similar in the multi stories, well it wasn't so bad in the bays but sometimes taking the tight corners took a lot of concentration, it is 4.8 meters so not far short of the Q7. Sounds like the parent and child spaces are going to be a godsend.

The Q7 has new tyres on it just now but they are just cheap rubbish, I expect them to go down very quickly. Once they have I might just look out for Hankook's. If you don't mind me asking what sort of price are they and what size of wheel do you have Jam?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast