Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s1dnk View Post
    Thanks Jam Man, really helpful.

At some point I was planning on looking through the pages here to see what everyone thought of a tuning box. I work with a guy who just got one put in this 3.0TDI A8 and he says it's incredible. My only concern would be that the drivetrain might not be specced to cope with the extra torque over a long period of time. How long have you been running with the tuning box?

It's an RS6 I am trading in for the Q7 and it was similar in the multi stories, well it wasn't so bad in the bays but sometimes taking the tight corners took a lot of concentration, it is 4.8 meters so not far short of the Q7. Sounds like the parent and child spaces are going to be a godsend.

The Q7 has new tyres on it just now but they are just cheap rubbish, I expect them to go down very quickly. Once they have I might just look out for Hankook's. If you don't mind me asking what sort of price are they and what size of wheel do you have Jam?
    Hi,

Just chipping in...

I Have a Q7 S-line with 20" wheels. Good Year F1's were brand new on the car when I got it and they lasted 18 months/ 17,000 miles which I thought was / think is quite good for a car of this bulk?

I replaced them with the same tyres in September 2010 and shopped hard, getting an all inclusive supply, balance and fit price of £750 for the 4 tyres (2 from a national tyre company for £350 and 2 from my Audi dealer at £400. I bartered with both and did get the price down significantly from their first quotes... the tyre company only had 2 in stock and I needed them to be fitted straight away, hence using two suppliers... However, the tyre company - well I say it was the tyre company - damaged my under sill at one side though; but that's a different story).

As an aside, I've also got a new shape Mondeo estate (my first ever Ford and a great car too) with 18" wheels. in September 2010, I replaced all 4 tyres on that with 'Uniroyal Rainsport 2' tyres for an all inclusive price of £500, which again was a good price after hard comparisons between national tyre suppliers. I've just returned from a weeks holiday in Aviemore/ North of Scotland where the roads were badly affected by snow and persistent heavy rain. In my experience, since having them fitted, these tyres are superb in all conditions. The Uniroyals seem to be wearing well so far, although it might be too early to really comment. If they wear well and if they do them in 20" size, then I would definitely use them on the Audi in the future.

I picked the Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres after careful consideration via a Ford forum and from a very useful tyre review website called 'mytyres uk'.

Hope you find this some help.

1 0 0

2. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pld118 View Post
    Hi,

Just chipping in...

I Have a Q7 S-line with 20" wheels. Good Year F1's were brand new on the car when I got it and they lasted 18 months/ 17,000 miles which I thought was / think is quite good for a car of this bulk?

I replaced them with the same tyres in September 2010 and shopped hard, getting an all inclusive supply, balance and fit price of £750 for the 4 tyres (2 from a national tyre company for £350 and 2 from my Audi dealer at £400. I bartered with both and did get the price down significantly from their first quotes... the tyre company only had 2 in stock and I needed them to be fitted straight away, hence using two suppliers... However, the tyre company - well I say it was the tyre company - damaged my under sill at one side though; but that's a different story).

As an aside, I've also got a new shape Mondeo estate (my first ever Ford and a great car too) with 18" wheels. in September 2010, I replaced all 4 tyres on that with 'Uniroyal Rainsport 2' tyres for an all inclusive price of £500, which again was a good price after hard comparisons between national tyre suppliers. I've just returned from a weeks holiday in Aviemore/ North of Scotland where the roads were badly affected by snow and persistent heavy rain. In my experience, since having them fitted, these tyres are superb in all conditions. The Uniroyals seem to be wearing well so far, although it might be too early to really comment. If they wear well and if they do them in 20" size, then I would definitely use them on the Audi in the future.

I picked the Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres after careful consideration via a Ford forum and from a very useful tyre review website called 'mytyres uk'.

Hope you find this some help.
    I had previously always used Vredestein Ultrac tyres on my S4 when I had that but I couldn't get them on the RS because they didn't go up to 19" so ended up using Khumo's which were ok for a fairly cheap tyre. The Vredesteins were excellent though, a little road noise but superb grip especially in the wet. Will check out the website you posted though thanks.

On a side note Aviemore is a lovely place, only a couple of hours from me. Hope you enjoyed the skiing

0 0 0

3. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Skiing is a sore point... Am from Scotland but live in Bolton. Took the kids out of school for the week to go skiing in Avi but couldn't do any due to the high winds all week. Managed 1 day at The Lecht on Wednesday... all very disappointed and looks like next week would have been a better bet... need to polish that crystal ball a bit more instead of my cars!

0 0 0

4. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rather than start a new thread it'll keep it tidier if I post in here.

I'll be receiving my 2007 4.2TDI Q7 tomorrow, anybody on here drive one of those? What sort of MPG am I looking at? I know the book says 25MPG but my last car said 21 and I barely saw over 18.

Jam Man, how do you find the Hankook's? Do you feel you lose any grip running them? How are they in the wet?

Is parking the thing ever a problem? I presume multi story car parks can be a bit of bother.

I'm away working for the next 2 weeks so it'll be a while before I get to play with my new toy. Looking forward to figuring out how everything works, think I might have to go against my life rule of never read an instruction manual.
    A couple of points.

I have a 4.2 TDI. I typically get about 20mpg on an average tank. On a motorway run I get about 25mpg. Typically then between 380 to 450 mpg on a full tank of 100 litres which costs around £125 to fill up at the time of post.

I previously had the 3.0V6 version and believe me the V8 is a different animal. The V6 is not underpowered but the V8 is in performance terms a full on sports car (mine has has been chipped by Superchips and is approx 370bhp . My mate has a Porsche Boxster and up to a 100mph my car is neck and neck with it.

I am enjoying it while I can! Not sure they will allow cars like this for much longer!!

0 0 0

5. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Jam Man, really helpful.

At some point I was planning on looking through the pages here to see what everyone thought of a tuning box. I work with a guy who just got one put in this 3.0TDI A8 and he says it's incredible. My only concern would be that the drivetrain might not be specced to cope with the extra torque over a long period of time. How long have you been running with the tuning box?

It's an RS6 I am trading in for the Q7 and it was similar in the multi stories, well it wasn't so bad in the bays but sometimes taking the tight corners took a lot of concentration, it is 4.8 meters so not far short of the Q7. Sounds like the parent and child spaces are going to be a godsend.

The Q7 has new tyres on it just now but they are just cheap rubbish, I expect them to go down very quickly. Once they have I might just look out for Hankook's. If you don't mind me asking what sort of price are they and what size of wheel do you have Jam?
    I ran the tuning box for 50k miles until it suffered water ingress, my fault probably and from memory it went fron 235 to 270 BHP or thereabouts. Main benefit was for overtaking and good pickup on the motorway, plus the MPG as a secondary bonus.

I bought both sets of Hankooks from ebay from liquidated stock so got one full set for £200 and the most recent for £300.

Tyre size is 275 45 20 109V

1 0 0

6. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's some good prices on tyres Jam, I've never bought tyres from ebay before but it's something I'll look into when mine are due replacing.

What's peoples thoughts on running winter tyres and summer tyres? Is it worth the hassle?

wsamuel, have you had any trouble from chipping you Q7? How many miles have you put on it since it has been chipper? Althought the added performance would be great I think I'd be happier with the added MPG, I had my fun in the RS6 and now I just want to relax as I drive, makes me wonder why I didn't buy the 3.0TDI actually!!

Hope you get better weather next time you are up pld. Last time I was at the Lecht I attempted snowboarding for the first time in my life, very painful especially as the snow had turned to ice!

Anyway got a couple of pics of the Q7 in an album, wont get to drive it for a while yet as I'm not due home until the 16th so I have to make do with pics from home.
    Last edited by s1dnk; 06-02-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: additional info

1 0 0

7. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No problems. Done about 17k now and running perfectly. Marginal improvement in mpg, massive improvement in torque and bhp.

One point regarding chipping. Bear in mind that car manufactures do change the ecu in engines intra year so it is advisable to go with a remap based on a reading of your specific chip. This is why I would not buy one of the web for a '2008 Q7' as they might have used different ecu's during that year of manufacture.

Also bear in mind that the 4.2tdi is also used in the A8 with a different state of tune.. So you want one a mapping for the Q7.

No what you mean regarding the driving style. It encourages you to cruise and and 80mph I am only ticking over. Still it is great having the power when you need/want it!!!!!!!

1 0 0

8. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry guys but I'm going to pester you all with one more question (I'll no doubt think of more questions as time goes on).

Anyway the next service that's due is the 80,000 (higher milage I know but it was motorway miles it had done). I'm struggling to find and info from Audi on the 80,000 mile service and as I'm not at home I can't look through my manual. What is all included in the 80,000 mile service and what sort of price should I expect to pay?

0 0 0

9. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My new 4.2tdi arrives at the end of March and wondering whether it's worth chipping with super chips. Main concern is whether it will invalidate the warranty and asset protection from Audi. Also will it hike up my insurance massively? I'm totally over excited as it's my first ever new car and is replacing my 13 yr old A6. 2.8.

0 0 0

10. Re: Potential Owner 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bingobango78 View Post
    Hi all,

Am new to the site and will be soon in the running for a used Q7 3.0tdi.

Couple of Qs:

Is there anything in particular that I should look for?
    What sort of range would I get out of a tank? - mostly motorway mileage

Your help and answers would be greatly appreciated
    Ive just ordered my 2nd Q7 at the mo i run a 59 plate clean derv motorway driving fully loaded 38 mpg round town 25 I love them but ot hurts when you fill a 100litre tank up but you get used to it make sure the car you buy has had the air suspension sorted out as the big Q eats tyres

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast