Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I've been trawling through this site and been reading about cleaning the VNT on the turbo and checking actuator arm operation. Out of curiosity I went out and tried to move the actuator rod on my turbo and it was solid!

I manged jam a spanner under the adjuster nut on the rod and gave it a good old heave, after a few attempts it finally moved. I exercised it up and down and the range of movement kept increasing. It's hard to tell what the actual range of movement is as it's hidden beneath the actuator itself.

I wasn't aware that the car (1998 1.9 Tdi, AFN) was running poorly. I've only had it a month and thought the apparent lack of power was because I've been driving a BMW 523 for the last 2 years. I've had a A80 1.9Tdi and A6 1.9Tdi in the past but coldn't remember how they felt when accelerating.

Anyway, the car now feels like it revs a lot more freely, don't have time to take it for a drive today, plus the roads are snowy/icy!!

I have VCDS-lite and have scanned the car three times since I got it, the only codes showing are the ABS ones, which I'm in the process of rectifying, nothing regarding boost pressure etc.

So even if you don't think you have a problem, go check out the turbo actuator rod for freedom of movement, it does take a fair amount of force to get it moving but should noticeably and smoothly.
    Thanks to this forum I've fixed a problem I didn't know I had

Cheers, Leigh

0 0 0

2. Re: Freeing up Turbo Actuator - 1.9Tdi AFN 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there,

Thanks for the info, and Good work!

Have you our anyone on here got a picture or diagram of a turbo showing where the Actuator arm is at all?

Also how do i find what engine type i have (AFN, etc)

Many thanks

0 0 0

3. Re: Freeing up Turbo Actuator - 1.9Tdi AFN 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    EdgeyA4,

The engine code can be found either on the sticker inside the spare wheel well, the same sticker is inside the front cover of the service booklet and there should be a label on the timing belt cover too.

On the AFN engine the actuator is just above the turbo towards the front of the turbo. It has a small vacuum hose going vertically into the top of it. The actuator rod comes out the bottom of the actuator to a linkage in the middle of the turbo housing. It's not visible from above but if you shine a torch through the gap at the side of the radiator an move a hose out of the way you will see a rod coming out of the bottom of the actuator. The rod is threaded at the top, there is a locknut/adjuster nut further down then a knurled section. The rod at rest will be at the bottom of it's travel. You are looking to pull the rod upwards to exercise it through it's range. It does take some force and has to be done mostly by feeling your way around.

Hope this helps, Cheers, Leigh

0 0 0