Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi john,

If you take a look at the fault code I posted at the top, you'll see some percentages for duty cycle.

1 of them is 88%

If you go to VCDS and Select control module. look at engine 01 meas. blocks 36 (bank 1) and 37 (Bank 2), you can see what is happening as you run the car.. Blip the throttle and the actual duty cycle will drop to approx 20% which is wide open inlet flaps. The working range is 20 -80 %

For me bank 2 was always at 88% when it failed. but would work normally IF it initialized at startup.

Since the WD40 I have had no problems.. only 1 day... but the car was started and stopped 6 or 7 times, so something worked.

The insides of the motor contain a cog on the motor a reducing gear and a spring loaded final gear that is the output. The spring return it to open position in the event of motor failure.. meaning the car will run OK

The parts are not lubricated at all.. The gears are a PTFE plastic mix that seems to be designed to be maintenance free and self lubricating.. but i wonder.

You are correct about VCDS.. there is not a ton of info, and that is mostly because the 3.0TDi is not sold in USA. I did discuss with them on Touareg 3.0TDI, but the measurement blocks and adaptations don't seem to match the A4. The Q7 is too new in US for them to have any meaningful data, and all the Audi forums have limited info on the bigger engines .

But the more I dig the less of a mystery it becomes. There are a number of very poor designed parts on there that are typically cheap and plastic or low tech but not available separately... To me it looks like a marketing decision to get you back to the dealer, to try to flog you a super expensive repair or offer what appears to be a reasonable trade in considering the car needs an expensive (for you) repair.

I tried Audi to repair mine , but having been lied to parts charged for that weren't replaced etc etc.. i have decided to keep away from them.

They also suggested my car was VERY old and that it wasn't worth fixing and I should consider a new one. It's 2005 < 100000 miles and I'd just bought it. So you can imagine I wasn't bet pleased.

Anyway, it's a great motor , but if it gives me any serious issues again I will get rid of it. 3ltr diesels should be doing 1/2 a million kms without problem.. Like the Merc E class 320CDI taxi I was in the other week. 450k kms and running like new. That's what i expect.

cheers

WJAM
    Last edited by wjam; 09-01-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typo

0 0 0

2. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks again wjam,

I will check my motor when work allows and have a look at the cog, i might be able to design a stronger cog, maybe out of aluminium, i work as a toolmaker by trade and have access to a wire eroder, you may know but this will shape complex cogs etc.
    If it proves sucessful i will see what i can do for you.

Because of work load it won,t be for at least two months, but i will investigate, i,ll pm you the results.

By the way audi cardiff quoted me £198, not sure if that includes vat for the motor, i would have gone for that, but wasn,t sure it could be calibrated, apparently audi set them with a dedicated audi tool, maybe ex audi technicians can comment on that.

Here are the duty cycle readouts my scan reveal, engine not running.

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 882 /min
    Torque: 113.1 Nm
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Voltage: 13.98 V
    Duty Cycle: 8.3 %
    Duty Cycle: 80.9 %
    Duty Cycle: 80.9 %
    Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Anyway thanks for taking the time to reply.

john
    2007 A4 saloon 3.0Tdi Tdv QUATTRO.
    Phantom black - Xenons, Bose, Heated Valcona, Cruise, Colour DIS, Satnav, front and rear sensors.
    Hex-USB+CAN VCDS, with a lot to learn.

1 0 0

3. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok thanks... No hurry my end, as it's working, but I'd be interested to see what the possibilities are on the gear. I think bank 2 close to turbo gets a fair bit hotter than bank 1 and the plastics get brittle.

Your scan is saying 8% so that's an electrical or component issue... Maybe not serious (such as a voltage a bit low or something) hence no dash light.

I'd just start the car and watch the motor. It should move slowly down/up a bit and then quickly take up a position somewhere close to closed (on bank 2 that's the actuator pushed down)

s your fault is showing electrical / electronic, it's pretty certain a motor will fix it. Like I say 5 minute job

3 Allen screws and the pop the linkage with a flat screwdriver. Disconnect the electrics with the motor loose.. much easier that way.

cheers

WJAM

1 0 0

4. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, i would be tempted to have a go at a new motor, but was put off by a reply given by crasher that it would need some kind of audi tooling to reset the limits on the actuation, i suppose it must need to know how far to close/open, or is it a simple case of when it reaches resistance it shuts down, maybe a forum member out there who has completed the job sucessfully.

On a different note we spent some time in france last july, 3 weeks of awsome driving and touring down the atlantic coast, can,t wait for this july.
    2007 A4 saloon 3.0Tdi Tdv QUATTRO.
    Phantom black - Xenons, Bose, Heated Valcona, Cruise, Colour DIS, Satnav, front and rear sensors.
    Hex-USB+CAN VCDS, with a lot to learn.

0 0 0

5. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Holy thread resurrection..!

OK I have the same issue.... have changed the swirl flap arms and ball joints but the issue still comes back.... this is what my scan revealed:

1 Fault Found:

004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2)
    P1018 - 001 - Lower limit not reached
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01100001
    Fault Priority: 0
    Fault Frequency: 170
    Reset counter: 255
    Mileage: 126203 km
    Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 0 /min
    Torque: 0.0 Nm
    Voltage: 12.01 V
    Duty Cycle: 20.5 %
    Duty Cycle: 88.8 %

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

I'm going to go for it and change the offending manifold and maybe new actuator..... there is a supplier on ebay in Germany (autosmotorcraft) who seem to have a good range of options.... has anyone here used them?

Also, which is Bank 2 as you sit in the drivers seat? Left of Right?

Many thanks
    James

Edit: Via my VAGCOM and disconnecting each actuator one at a time and scanning the faults, I believe Bank 1 is on the Right Hand Side of the car as you sit in the driver seat (ie nearest the turbo).

ALso, I swapped the actuators over and can confirm they are exactly the same units & part number if that helps others.

The Bank 2 which was showing the fault above definitely feels looser compared to the inlet flaps on the other bank.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JLBmatic; 16-09-2015 at 11:18 AM.

0 0 0

6. Re: 004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2): Lower limit not reached 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when logging on vag.com group 36 and 37 , is it requested vs actual? the field names?

had bank 2 fault:

004120 - Intake Manifold Runner (Bank 2)
    P1018 - 001 - Lower limit not reached
    Freeze Frame
    Fault Status: 01100001
    Fault Priority: 0
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 255
    Mileage: 260149 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2017.05.02
    Time: 14:07:16

Freeze Frame
    RPM: 0 /min
    Torque: 0.0 Nm
    Voltage: 12.54 V
    Duty Cycle: 88.8 %

Ive did some video logging on vcd, if any one can check if anything wrong .

idle to Fast Rev Test

Output Test Bank 1

Output Test Bank 2

Thanks in advance

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12