Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Lock microswitch problem / Door-open signal failure / Car may lock you out / May affect other VAG vehicles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Re: Lock microswitch problem / Door-open signal failure / Car may lock you out / May affect other VAG vehicles 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Good stuff, Sarah. The info on Saia-Burgess microswitches looks very useful. I see there are plenty of UK stockists, so hopefully should be straightforward to buy a close match. If anyone succeeds in doing this, and installing it, I hope they will post details.

I’m in awe of your "relatively easy half-hour installation". I seem to be alone in finding removal and replacement of the lock a difficult and time-consuming business. Perhaps I’m doing it the hard way - (wouldn’t be the first time). I’m struggling a bit to reconcile your description with how I remember it, but if I ever need to repeat the operation, I’ll try and put your method to the test!

David Gilson

0 0 0

2. Re: Lock microswitch problem / Door-open signal failure / Car may lock you out / May affect other VAG vehicles 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi David,

I've decided that if I can't get a second hand lock for £30 or less then I'm just going to go for a new one from Audi. I'm not willing to pay much of a percentage of the new cost for something that might not last very long and as annoyed as I am about the original microswitch not being easily available, I'm satisfied that I'm saving the fitting cost by doing it myself.

I want to try and explain how I removed the lock. Basically once the door is stripped down and the black plastic cover removed I reached in to detach the metal rod that links to the handle on the oustide of the door. This is done by sliding the little circular cover down until it clears the rod and then popping the rod out of the black plastic it sits in. The rod is threaded at the bottom and retains it's location within matching threads inside the plastic part it clips into. The little cover simply slides upwards to make sure the rod can't pop out of the cover. So that's the handle disconnected without having to touch the top part which would be very difficult to access.
    The next bit was to disconnect the wiring connector which is straightforward. I then undid the XZN bolts on the door edge and wiggled the lock down and then out.
    DSC06715.jpg

Putting the lock back is trickier because there is a little plastic part attached to the lock barrel that has to slot into the lock mechanism and this is hidden behind what the haynes calls a 'security cover' which I assume is there to stop people unlocking the car using the coathanger type method down the side of the window. According to the Haynes, this cover can be removed but I wasn't sure about how many plastic tabs it had that I couldn't see near the top. So to refit the lock I moved it into position and then used my other hand to guide the lock barrel connection into it's location in the lock. This is fiddly and requires some patience but the barrel part is attached to something flexible and if you line it up well beforehand it only takes perhaps 5 minutes to get it right. I then did the bolts on the door edge, then plugged the connector back onto the lock and used my key in the lock to make sure the connection had worked and the key activated the central locking. Then I just popped the little rod to the handle back into it's holder (worth marking the position of this before removal or be prepard to adjust it before re-assembling the door) and that was it. The handle rod, XZN bolts and wiring connector are all simple - it's just the barrel connection thats awkward, although had I worked out how to take the security cover off then it would probably have been easier. Holding the lock in position with my right hand I found there was just enough space to get my fingertips around the back of the security cover to guide the lock back into position.

Tried to add some photos but it only let me add one - not uploaded any before so not really sure what I'm doing. I'll perhaps take some better pics when I install my new lock and then look at trying to upload them for people to see.

I hope that's of some help to someone anyway, and I look forward to getting my lights on warning sound and puddle lighting back as soon as I get my new part

1 0 0

3. Re: Lock microswitch problem / Door-open signal failure / Car may lock you out / May affect other VAG vehicles 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Many thanks for that, Sarah. Your excellent description is pretty well how I remember it. I agree that the tricky parts are reconnecting the lock to the lock cylinder and to the outer handle. I think my clumsy aging fingers didn’t help - I’m sure younger, more nimble fingers make a big difference!

Anyway, good luck with fitting the new lock. Should be a piece of cake now.

For uploading pictures, this link should help. https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...-a-walkthrough.

Regards

David Gilson

0 0 0

4. Re: Lock microswitch problem / Door-open signal failure / Car may lock you out / May affect other VAG vehicles 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Interestingly I had exactly the same problem as outlined in the original post, on my 2002 A6 Avant 1.9TDI, at around 93000 miles. The window regulator failed on my drivers door so when I fixed that I decided to tackle the door sensor problem aswell. As described by djgilson, the plastic on the door closure cam had worn and was interfering with the action of the microswitch. I too cut off the plastic and noticed that the cam then was too far away from the switch. Rather than raising the base of the microswitch mounting I superglued a small piece of plastic over the '***' of the switch to extend it so that it was in contact with the cam as required. It took a little bit of trial and error to get the length right but it did work and still works. Audi must have seen hundreds of these, I have heard of others with a similar problem. I'm not sure but I believe they have released a redesigned door handle with a different part code - assumably to rectify this issue.

1 0 0

5. Re: Lock microswitch problem / Door-open signal failure / Car may lock you out / May affect other VAG vehicles 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I vaguely remember a post that detailed he had found a supplier of these microswitch in Germany. It was a long time ago. Regards Peter

0 0 0

6. Re: Lock microswitch problem / Door-open signal failure / Car may lock you out / May affect other VAG vehicles 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello, from Canada! I just joined the forum. I was brought here from a Goggle search for the drivers door locking problem on my daughters 2007 Jetta City. It sounds similar to the other problems in this thread. Her drivers door will not lock using the key fob, but will lock if using the key in the door. We have also found that all the doors, except the drivers', will display the door ajar light if left open...the drivers door gives no such warning if left open and the car started. I have not removed the door latch mechanism to check on these microswitchs mentioned, but this thread has been very helpful in where and what to look for when I do get to it. Thanks to all who have posted here, and I will post my results after the procedure.

Darwin
    Victoria BC
    Canada

0 0 0

7. Re: Lock microswitch problem / Door-open signal failure / Car may lock you out / May affect other VAG vehicles 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi guys anyone on here a bentley tech

0 0 0

8. Re: Lock microswitch problem / Door-open signal failure / Car may lock you out / May affect other VAG vehicles 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi
    I have same problem to my car SEAT CORDOBA 1.4 2003 101HP , when I go out of my car and close the driver door ,the doors locked by itself without my key. Also I have problem with window switches on driver doors, maybe i need new one set.
    Do they have anybody any experience about those problems;

Στάλθηκε από το SM-G900F μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

0 0 0

9. Re: Lock microswitch problem / Door-open signal failure / Car may lock you out / May affect other VAG vehicles 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    At a guess, maybe you need to check the door wiring harness at the hinge:
    Cannot open driver door at all
    Cannot open driver door at all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Previous: 2005 A3 1.9tdi SE
    2009 Audi A3 2.0tdi 138bhp SE

0 0 0

10. Re: Lock microswitch problem / Door-open signal failure / Car may lock you out / May affect other VAG vehicles 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi djgilson

Like many others on this forum I wanted to give you a huge thank you for doing this write up.
    Following your instructions my door lock is working a lot. It just took several cups of tea and your fantastic explanation.
    Really appreciate you taking the time to explain the steps, you're a star!

Iain

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast