1. Oil Temperature Gauge fluctuating A4 2.4 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was driving on the motorway last night and noticed the oil temperature gauge was indicating HOT, next moment it dropped to normal again, 30 seconds later it was reading hot again, I dont see how the oil temperature would vary so much.

I have recently had the top engine gaskets replaced due to an oil leak, but I dont think this should have an effect?

Anyone any ideas?

Thank you for time.

0 1 0

2. Re: Oil Temperature Gauge fluctuating A4 2.4 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Anyone? I have the same issue here and I am not sure of what could be the cause.

Thanks in advance

0 0 0

3. Re: Oil Temperature Gauge fluctuating A4 2.4 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have done another 10000 miles since, I now find it my be the charcter of the engine, as the water temp doesnt get hot i wouldnt worry about it to much. I have a the problem of the engine leaking oil in a few places, but the calue of the car doent warrant spending a grand rebuilding the engine and it runs fine.

0 0 0

4. Re: Oil Temperature Gauge fluctuating A4 2.4 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey,

Thanks for taking the time to come and post your comment here. I am not worrying too much about it but I usually do like to understand what is going on

Thanks

0 0 0

5. Re: Oil Temperature Gauge fluctuating A4 2.4 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had this issue when I first bought my 2.4, the oil temp went up when I gave it some gas, and then returned back to normal when I was going downhill.

After my full service/repair, both temp gauges now stay constant (the oil temp might move a tiny bit during really hard driving, but it's hardly noticeable).

As far as I know, I had the following work done (in addition to a lot of other stuff!):

Thermostat
    Temp Sensor
    Radiator
    Water Pump
    Timing Belt & Tensioners
    Fan Belt & Tensioners

My electric radiator fan is faulty, so the air con doesn't work well in traffic in the summer, but it hasn't affected the engine temperature. I need to get this fixed before springtime though.

0 0 0

6. Re: Oil Temperature Gauge fluctuating A4 2.4 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the water temp is constant and the oil temp rising quite high it coul point to a faulty oil temperature sensor located around the bottom of the engine which can be replaced quite easily - I never bothered. I was quote about £100 inc off fitting. I have heard these can become faulty giving false readings.

0 0 0

7. Re: Oil Temperature Gauge fluctuating A4 2.4 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mr Joshua - That service must have cost a small fortune.

0 0 0

8. Re: Oil Temperature Gauge fluctuating A4 2.4 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surferireland View Post
    Mr Joshua - That service must have cost a small fortune.
    Thermostat
    Temp Sensor
    Radiator
    Water Pump
    Coolant
    Timing Belt & Tensioners
    Fan Belt & Tensioners
    Clutch & Release Bearing
    Oil & Filter
    Rear Brake Discs and Pads inc Wheel Bearings
    Rear Passenger-Side ABS Sensor

£1250 inc VAT

The car was only £1000 though, as I knew that most of the above needed doing on it, so I bartered the guy down from £2000.

I also bought 4 new Goodyear Eagle NCT3 tyres for about £400, and a track-rod-end for £60 fitted.

The only other things were rear lower-door rubber bits which were probably about £25 and I had my dents removed too for £80.

So, what should have been a cheap runabout for a few months while I decided what new car I wanted to buy, has had almost everything that needs doing, done - and I've decided to keep it for as long as possible! I really like it a lot!

December 1998 Audi A4 2.4 SE in Volcano Black Mica
    155000 Miles (now done 164000 Miles)
    Full Audi Service History until 3 Years old.

Total spent including purchase: £2815... Probably more than it's worth in the book, but at least I know it's had everything done.

Anyway, really sorry for the thread hijack!!

0 0 0

9. Re: Oil Temperature Gauge fluctuating A4 2.4 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oil temp sensor seems suspect, my prob is the fule gauge, its doing the same once i go below half tank... traced it to sender unit in tank.. £38 from dealers.. just time needed to take tank off.... anyways let us know how u get on.

0 0 0

10. Re: Oil Temperature Gauge fluctuating A4 2.4 V6 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the a year Black 2000year 2.4 which i think it was one of the last ones before they changed the shape.

Things that have broken:

Rear wiper motor failed £70 for the part

CV Rubber boot split - possibly will need a new drive thingy as there is a slight clicking when you turn the steering left and drive

Oil leak on two rocker covers - replaced gaskets £250

Another oil leak split hose - cheap fix

2 x lower arms (things with bearing in them) - £100 fitted

Other than that its fabulous.

Its nearly 8 years old and really does drive like a new car.

I have a Saab as well which creaks and grones alot. The Audi in comparison is so solid - I have the Avant model which i thought might be noisy but isnt.

Its a little thirsty. On board computer says i average 26mpg.

I have kept away from Audi dealers which has meant my servicing is really quite cheap.

I would consider another one - possibly 2.8 quattro model with cream leather. I live in a rural area and when it snows here i have had to park a half a mile from my house because i cant get up the hill.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast