1. Boot will not close - now fixed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For some time now I have been having problems with my boot not locking shut, so today I managed to do something about it:

1. Removed boot lining (very simple - just remove 4 screws and pull it off - then disconnected the manual release).

2. Remove the lock mechanism - 2 nuts and one electrical plug.

3. Removed the top section of plastic housing which encloses the lock mechanism. This was a little tricky and required 5 plastic snap-in tabs to be released.

Inside, I found that the motorised lock mechanism (driven by a small motor and set of plastic gears) was not operating freely due top a lack of lubricant. What was there had dried-up - so the release mechanismwould not retract fully after an unlock motion.

I greased-up the mechanism using white lithium grease and reassembled.

Now the lock functions perfectly.

1 0 0

2. Re: Boot will not close - now fixed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for this... My dad had the same issue recently on his B5.5... Think it is quite common but nice to see it can be fixed yourself.

Well Done
    2017 Audi A5 (B9) Coupe 2.0 TDI S-Line Quattro S Tronic

0 0 0

3. Re: Boot will not close - now fixed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    ideal, we have a 56 plate passat that the boot lock is releasing all the time, even when the key is in your hand, it goes tick tick tick and flattens the battery, ive checked the wiring thro the boot all is fine and ive replaced the boot catch but still the same any ideas?????

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

4. Re: Boot will not close - now fixed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phil miller View Post
    ideal, we have a 56 plate passat that the boot lock is releasing all the time, even when the key is in your hand, it goes tick tick tick and flattens the battery, ive checked the wiring thro the boot all is fine and ive replaced the boot catch but still the same any ideas?????
    That sounds different to my problem. In my case, the latch would just not close, but sometimes it would eventually close/lock if you just held it down. I was quite surprised to find an electric motor inside the mechanism, so maybe there can be a condition where the motor is constantly trying to lock/unlock the lid and drains the battery.

0 0 0

5. Re: Boot will not close - now fixed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just wanted to add that I had to strip-down and re-lube the boot latch. It looked like the lube I used last time had all dried-out and it was not functioning correctly. This time I used an LM grease which should be great in all temperature conditions and will not dry-out. I also stretched the spring a little.

Warning - I had to bring the lock inside and warm it on a radiator to split the plastc case. This was because it was so cod the plastic was very brittle.

The result was a fully functional latch.

0 0 0