1. To flush or not to flush? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    No not pub/bar toilet etiquette. Just wondering whether you bother using an engine flush as part of your oil change routine? If you do any particular brand of flush?

Also, my Haynes manual says I need 4.5 litres of oil in my 1.9TDI AVF engine. I trust Haynes but just wanted to check that is right? Seems like a lot of oil. Am I ok just to pour in 4.5 litres or should I pour it in stages, checking the dipstick as I go?

Thanks for the help to what are probably daft questions.

Cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: To flush or not to flush? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The only flush i would use is FORTE motor flush, ive posted a few times about this and after using it for almost 20 yrs can whole heartly say it works a treat, as for oil i would pour in 4 lts then dip it just to make sure you dont over fill it

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

3. Re: To flush or not to flush? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Cheers Phil, looks like Camskills have it at decent price. I'll do as you say and fill to 4 and dip it from then on.

When you use the Forte flush do you add it to the oil, run the engine and drain? Or is the engine run on just the flush after the dirty oil is drained (not keen on this one)? Couldn't find any technical information on the Forte website.

In terms of oil I've always used the Synta stuff from VAG parts depot. What's your choice on oil?

Ta
    Last edited by Boat_face; 22-12-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Info

0 0 0

4. Re: To flush or not to flush? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    When using the Forte flush just add the bottle to the old oil, and leave the engine running for about 15/20 mins then drain as normal, then add the new oil, as for oil to use getting it for the dealer is always a good idea, if using a motor factor just check it has the VW AUDI code 505 or 507 iirc to make sure its ok to use in yours, if you have any problems getting the forte flush let me know, i can always send you a can

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

1 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Another vote for forte here, works a treat, and the advice on refill is spot on.
    You could also use a good aftermarket oil as long as its correct spec, castrol or mobil.
    In my tt i use an ester based oil Motul xlite 8100
    Audi A6 C6/4F 3.0 V6 TDI Quattro S-line - BMK

1 0 0

6. Re: To flush or not to flush? 
    Kidderminster, Worcestershire and Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure the AVF engine (I have one) is 3.6ltrs with an oil change, according to autodata, tho I have a feeling 3.9ltrs is more like it. My old AFB engined 2.5 always took exactly 5ltrs with an oil filter change. That would take it to max on the dipstick, yet Audi always charge for 5.5ltrs when they serviced it. They must spill a lot!
    I bought 25ltrs of 507 spec oil from http://www.lubetechshop.co.uk/produc...products_id=38 for £102 delivered. Even tho it's the longlife oil I change it at 10k miles.
    2007 A6 2.7TDi Avant Manual S-Line
    2003 A4 B6 Avant 1.9 TDi Quattro Sport, Manual -Sold
    1999T A6 C5 Avant 2.5 Auto, 244k -Sold
    2005 STM Phoenix R1 powered, 1988 205 Gti 16v tarmac rally car . . and a few motorbikes

0 0 0

7. Re: To flush or not to flush? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Cheers for the offer of getting me a can. Most kind. I'll get in touch if I get stuck.
    Might consider some decent after market oil in future. I hear good things about castrol. Just looked at Motul website & it looks like very professional stuff.

Will probably fill to 3.5 litres and then slowly top it up and check from then on!

0 0 0

8. Re: To flush or not to flush? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Just buy the Audi brand Quantum longlife 111 oil, its cheap at under £30 and is Castrol oil anyway. Its what a main Audi dealer would use.

0 0 0

9. Re: To flush or not to flush? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    hi mate the oil capacity is 4.5 litres recently done mine and had exactly half a litres left out of a 5 litre bottle . that said i always suck every last drop out with a suction pump pipe down in the oil filter housing if you are just emptying the sump you will always leave some of the old oil behind so as said before put 4 litres in run the engine for a few seconds say 10 turn off and let it settle then top up . as regards the engine flush i dont bother with these modern synthetic oils changed regularly i think it is a waste of money as the detergent package in these oils keep your engine clean enough . also i would not wish to loosen any crud that may be in there

0 0 0

10. Re: To flush or not to flush? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    All the 1.9TDI engines I've seen either have 4.3 or 4.5 Litres.
    Even my daugher's 1.4TDI has 4.3 Litres !
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast