1. MMI 3G Satnav (DVD) backup to SDHC card 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have just taken delivery of an A4 SE Technik 2.0 TDIe which has the MMI 3G Satnav which is DVD based. The MMI operating manual states that the DVD Navigation data can be transferred to an SDHC card, minimum 8GB and used in either SD1 or SD2 memory card slot. I have purchased a Sandisk Class 4 SDHC card 8GB capacity and when I try to copy the navigation data through the MMI, I get the message that the card must be 8GB minimum followed by the message that the card I have inserted has insufficient capacity!
    The card shows 7,939,784,704 bytes free when I insert it in the card reader of my laptop and if I copy some MP3 files on to it the MMI will play them back in the car ok. the card has been reformatted and I have tried several times to copy the Navigation data through the MMI but I still get the same insuffiicient capacity message.
    Before I get a 16GB card to try can anyone else confirm they have managed to backup the 2011 SatNav DVD on to an 8GB SDHC memory card ok?

0 0 0

2. Re: MMI 3G Sat Nav (DVD) backup to SDHC card 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In the absence of any replies I purchased a 16GB SDHC card and copied the files from the Sat Nav DVD using my laptop rather than copying in the car through the AMI as waiting 1 hour for it to copy did not appeal to me. It still took around 35 minutes to copy but I can report it works perfectly and indeed faster with the SDHC card. Pity I now have around 7.5 GB of space going spare that I cannot use for anything else, but fortunately the SD2 slot is now occupied by the original 8GB card I purchased and I have enough music copied on to it to never listen to the same track again in the next 12 months of driving!
    No needs for the iPod interface cable that Audi kindly included in the glove box as standard.
    Last edited by jonesey; 15-12-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Typo

0 0 0

3. Re: MMI 3G Satnav (DVD) backup to SDHC card 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

Just taken delivery of the same car and have succesfully copied the Sat Nav to SD card as your instructions using my laptop. Went like a dream and is working fine. Have also transfered music to a 16GB SD card so have plenty of space left.
    Not sure why Audi don't just put the Sat Nav on a SD card to start with, as its rather stupid to have a CD unit that you cannot use for music CD's because the Sat Nav is needed.
    Anyway thank you for your info it helped a great deal

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pkdiver View Post
    Hi

Just taken delivery of the same car and have succesfully copied the Sat Nav to SD card as your instructions using my laptop. Went like a dream and is working fine. Have also transfered music to a 16GB SD card so have plenty of space left.
    Not sure why Audi don't just put the Sat Nav on a SD card to start with, as its rather stupid to have a CD unit that you cannot use for music CD's because the Sat Nav is needed.
    Anyway thank you for your info it helped a great deal
    You can save the route then removed the nav disc and play music whilst using your pre recorded route

or copy the lot to sd and use the dvd drive for music etc

A1 uses the sd to read nav data on 3G+

Sent from my iPhone using
    My fat fingers
    Last edited by a8 tech; 24-05-2011 at 05:50 PM.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

0 0 0

5. Question Re: MMI 3G Satnav (DVD) backup to SDHC card 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I have just taken delivery of my A4 Avant Technic and came across the same problem with the 8GB SD card so I bought a 16GB, spent 1hr 20min usiing the AMI and it didn't work. Did this for a second time and still no joy. I then used my PC to copy and all looked good as it showed all the files and it had used 7.44GB so I thought I had cracked it. However, it doesn't work when I put it in the SD slot, it shows as no data. Am I doing something wrong.....!!!!!!

0 0 0

6. Re: MMI 3G Satnav (DVD) backup to SDHC card 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I too have an Audi A4 advant TDi 57 plate which operates the Sat Nav through the DVD. Only problem is my Disc 1 for the UK is now showing a malfunction in Red print. Disc 2 works fine so I don't think it's anything to do with the drive. so the dilemma is do I buy a new Disc set from Audi at £180.00 or attempt to do either one of two things, 1) burn a copy from an identical car or 2) copy from the identical car onto a SD 16gb card. Option 1) requires a dual layer disc writer i'm told??, so I tried option 2) and it didn't work, same result as Andygold. So did Andygold sort it or is the problem the age of the car or the fact that I used a SD'HC' card as I read somewhere that HC don't seem to work??? Can anyone help.

0 0 0

7. Re: MMI 3G Satnav (DVD) backup to SDHC card 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you ever overcome the SD no data problem, and what age is your car? I too have an Audi A4 advant TDi 57 plate which operates the Sat Nav through the DVD. Only problem is my Disc 1 for the UK is now showing a malfunction in Red print. Disc 2 works fine so I don't think it's anything to do with the drive. so the dilemma is do I buy a new Disc set from Audi at £180.00 or attempt to do either one of two things, 1) burn a copy from an identical car or 2) copy from the identical car onto a SD 16gb card. Option 1) requires a dual layer disc writer i'm told??, so I tried option 2) and it didn't work, same result as Andygold. So did Andygold sort it or is the problem the age of the car or the fact that I used a SD'HC' card as I read somewhere that HC don't seem to work??? Can anyone help.

0 0 0

8. Re: MMI 3G Satnav (DVD) backup to SDHC card 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    In my experiencing only 2011 data will copy successfully to sdhc and its best to do it via pc than the mmi 3g

Also if you purchase the latest mapping data then it needs to be activated via the dealer (ALSO YOU NEED TO PURCHASE A LICENSE PIN) as you will find if you try 2011 data the nav screen will show data blocked after a short time

What ever you do, DONT BACK FLASH THE DATA TO 2010 AS THIS WILL WIPE THE CONTROL UNIT

0 0 0

9. Re: MMI 3G Satnav (DVD) backup to SDHC card 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I managed to sort my problem by using a pc to copy the sat nav disc and it now works a treat. I had to use a 16gb sdhc card as it would not accept the 8gb even though it has only used 7.44gb of memory on the 16gb card...hey ho..!!! I did find that if I put my copied sd card in slot 2 it didn't read it but it does in slot 1 and i can still use slot 2 for music which it reads....weird eh... hope this info helps.....Cheers

0 0 0

10. Re: MMI 3G Satnav (DVD) backup to SDHC card 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you ever manage to get it to work? I’ve just copied mine to sd card and doesn’t work?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast