Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Engine smoke - whilst AC on (ECON off)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Engine smoke - whilst AC on (ECON off) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1.9TDI SE – 55 Plate – 116K

Hi Guys,

One day last week when I got into my car it was raining and the windows got steamed up, I then switched on the front windscreen heater (blows AC full blast at the screen) and then drove off whilst the car was cold. About 3 minutes later when stopped at the traffic lights noticed smoke coming from the engine bay, checked it out and found nothing, it was clear smoke (no smell) but couldn’t pin point where it was coming from in the engine. Started the car up again 2 mins later and drove (AC off) no further smoke.

Same thing has happened again this morning (in the rain), only had the normal AC on and the smoke came out from engine, switched off AC and carried on driving and all was ok.

Do I have an A/C leak somewhere or could it be the pump etc?
    There doesn’t seem to be any smell or loss of AC power (yet).

Please let me know what it could be and where it could be located so I can check it when it happens the next time.

Thanks.
    Rehman

0 0 0

2. Re: Engine smoke - whilst AC on (ECON off) 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Smoke or steam, ac leak is a gas so you hear it rather than see it, hth

0 0 0

3. Re: Engine smoke - whilst AC on (ECON off) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSG4ME View Post
    Smoke or steam, ac leak is a gas so you hear it rather than see it, hth
    Hi DSG4ME, it's smoke. Only happens when the AC is on.
    Anway I'll take it to the local garage on Tuesday where they can put it on the ramp to see whats causing it. I'll keep u posted.

0 0 0

4. Re: Engine smoke - whilst AC on (ECON off) 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Looking at that I'd GUESS either a leak on the exhaust system, or ring wear, and if your really lucky it will be a split breather hose somewhere.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

0 0 0

5. Re: Engine smoke - whilst AC on (ECON off) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi DSG4ME. I took the car to the local garage today and I tried to replicate the issue by having the AC on and guess what? NO SMOKE this time, mixed feelings on the way back home as I took a day off and everything but on the other hand no money spent (yet)
    I'm guess it's got something to do with when it's very cold? As today the car was showing 6c midday compared to last week where it was -2c.

Lets see if it happans again..just annoying thats all.

0 0 0

6. Re: Engine smoke - whilst AC on (ECON off) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you spotted the issue when the temp was -2c, it's not the aircon.

Aircon won't function below 4c.

I'm not sure if the b6 passat has the same system, but I know the A4 had an auxillary heater system, perhaps you're seeing the exhaust gases from that?

0 0 0

7. Re: Engine smoke - whilst AC on (ECON off) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys,

Hope you are having a great time in Xmas.

Update to this thread:
    Couple of days ago the car developed a smell of fumes from the vents and the dreaded sound of humming from underneath (like the one when the Fuel pump is on the way out).
    I took it to the garage again and they pinpointed the problem to the exhaust downpipe which will need replacing (there is a split in the pipe). They've said the part will cost over Ł400, so i've declined for now to have it done and been looking on the net for a used part.

Does anyone know if the part is the same for the 1.9TDI as 2.0TDI?

Thanks,
    Rehman

0 0 0

8. Re: Engine smoke - whilst AC on (ECON off) 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Looking at that I'd GUESS either a leak on the exhaust system, or ring wear, and if your really lucky it will be a split breather hose somewhere.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Looks like I nailed it eh, having a good day today, fixed a blokes PC on forum, now your puffa pipe, wonders if I can make it 3 in a row

0 0 0

9. Re: Engine smoke - whilst AC on (ECON off) 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tobetrue123 View Post
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know if the part is the same for the 1.9TDI as 2.0TDI?

Thanks,
    Rehman
    Can't say 4 sure, I would imagine not though, although they are both labelled PD, they are very different engines.

If it helps get you out of a jam, you could try fitting a glove on it, you get them at car shops, simply sleeve it round the pipe and do the clamps up, might wanna put a bit of gum gum at each end to seal the edges.

0 0 0

10. Re: Engine smoke - whilst AC on (ECON off) 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can't say 4 sure, I would imagine not though, although they are both labelled PD, they are very different engines.

If it helps get you out of a jam, you could try fitting a glove on it, you get them at car shops, simply sleeve it round the pipe and do the clamps up, might wanna put a bit of gum gum at each end to seal the edges.
    Hi DSG4ME,

I don't know where the split is on the pipe but I'm thinking of getting it welded by a mate. Do you know if that'll be ok in the long term?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast