Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    Check the connectors and pins then the wiringAttachment 9700

CHECK THIS AGAIN ITS IMPORTANT
    Group 004
    [Go!]
    Field 2: Power Supply (Terminal 15), Specification: "Term. 15 ON"
    [Done, Go Back]
    [Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
    just checked it term 15 is on and in field 3 it says relay on, in field 1 it says the system status is 4????

so by the looks of it it is as it should be, but what is the system status and is 4 great, ok or very bad?

i cant complain to much ive had the car 8 months and done 15,000 miles and up to now i havent had any major issus's i hope this is something im doning wrong lol

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

2. Re: Steering torque sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    one other thing whilst checking the term 15 the steering light started at red and then went to yellow and i have powersteering altho the light is still on, im sure this is a coding prob and fingers crossed not a rack prob,

Thank you Rob you have been great with all your help and advise, A8 tech your a star hope the info i got from the car makes some sence to you?

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

3. Re: Steering torque sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    status 4 will indicate the torque setting for the steering rack resistance for sporty,normal or disabled drivers etc altering the feel of the steering to suit
    Ok clear the fault codes and drive the vehicle in straight line for 20 meters and see if the light goes out, if goes from yellow to red you need to set the full lock basic setting

clear codes if possible and follow this

in this order

[Select]
    [44 - Steering Assist]
    [Coding-II - 11] or if that function is not available then use [Sec.Access - 16] instead
    Enter 40168, to enable the basic setting.
    [Do it!]
    [Basic Settings - 04]
    Group 060
    [Go!]
    Activate the Basic Setting.
    [ON/OFF/Next]
    After a successful basic setting, field 1 should say "OK".
    [Done, Go Back]
    To make sure the basic setting was succesful, check the sensor again.
    [Measuring Blocks - 08]
    Group 007
    [Go!]
    Check field 1, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 °.
    [Done, Go Back]
    [Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

Note: After successful basic setting, the Steering Limit Stop needs to be adapted too.

Special Procedures
    Steering Limit Stop Adaptation

(Engine still running)

* Center steering wheel (±10°) and hold it centered for 5 seconds.
    * Turn steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for a second.
    * Turn steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for a second.
    * Center steering wheel (±10°).
    * Switch OFF engine and ignition.
    * Switch ON ignition.
    * Wait 5 seconds.
    * Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF. If it doesn't, perform a short test drive.
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

1 0 0

4. Re: Steering torque sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thank you A8 Tech, i followed that and as if by magic it worked, even doing the angle settings, everything was perfect, so i take it for a 15 mile test drive, driving in different styles to try and get the yellow or RED light to come back on, anyway all was going well until i hit a pot hole and the light and bong done there thing and the power steering went, so i plugged in Robs lead (took laptop with me ) and it throw up the same fault code of steering torque sensor, so i erase the code and have p/steering again and drive home, once home i check the measuring blocks again, making sure the torque figure moves when moving the steering wheel, it does, then i make sure term 15 is on, it is then i read that if both of those are correct then its a wire or connector fault, which goes with the implausable signal, so i take it i should get under the car and check all the wiring to the rack?? if it was a wire or connector fault that would explain lossing the steering when i hit a pot hole?

this is all i have thought about for the last 3 days and im at the point where even tho it is all pointing at a broken wire or connector i need someone else to agree or send me in another direction as my brain has shut down lol

I would like to say a massive thank you to Rob and A8 tech, both have helpped me out big time

1 0 0

5. Re: Steering torque sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Hi Phil, it does suggest the plug is damaged or the wiring or the pins in the plug are loose.
    You need to drop down the steering rack to access the plug as its difficult to access.
    The wiring shown earlier is the sensor to the steering rack motor, I would suspect the pot hole but should indicate the connector is loose.Keep us updated
    vag diagnostics, retrofits and general repairs

1 0 0

6. Re: Steering torque sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sounds like a great training course, every car that comes in with steering rack issue will be yours from now on!!!!!

Please stop thanking me for use of the cable, I bought it for these situations.

At least you now close to a solution

VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0T 2015 - Awesome snow churning 4x4 GTI 😉

1 0 0

7. Re: Steering torque sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    ive just had one of those moments, you know where you think about everything you done and then remember something, well A8 tech what are your thoughts on this, as already mentioned i changed both hubs as well as the shocks, that included bleeding the brakes, anyway ive just remembered when i topped up the brake fluid i spilt abit (ok a fair amount) while i have a s/h rack on a subframe in the shed and had a look at it, and after checking where the torque sensor wiring plugs into there is a very strong chance the plug got covered in brake fluid, could this be the problem im getting? also the torque sensor wiring goes from the rack to column part to a motor on the back of the rack, i didnt have any bars or levers in there so all i can think is the brake fluid or it is just coincidence i now have the implausable signal? and just to put my mind at ease can you confirm that a implausable signal is a broken wire or loose connection rather than a knackered sensor?

im not being thick, i just seem to have lost the plot on this one lol

0 0 0

8. Re: Steering torque sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onzarob View Post
    sounds like a great training course, every car that comes in with steering rack issue will be yours from now on!!!!!

Please stop thanking me for use of the cable, I bought it for these situations.

At least you now close to a solution
    as and when we get another golf in with steering problems im going to take a week off lol, i did call a vw indy in plymouth today to ask if i was doing anything wrong all he said was drop it in at some point and he would set it for £45 and it would be fine, now im not a fan of paying someone to do what i should be able to do so i gave it a go and im 100% sure its not setting so tomorrow i will be under my car checking all the wiring and plugs, fingers crossed my saga is getting towards the end, one things for sure, i will make sure i use a funnel next time i top up my brake fluid

0 0 0

9. Re: Steering torque sensor 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    the saga is now over, i checked the wiring and all seemed fine, so i had a rack on a subframe in the shed, i didnt know anything about the rack and didnt fancy paying £600 for a new rack, tonight me and my mate danny set about fitting the subframe with the rack, with the idea that i couldnt lose anything, so 4 coffees 5 fags and 2 hours later (plus annoying the neighbours with my nut gun) i now have my power steering working as it should after a 10 mile test drive making sure i went over speed bumps fast all seems well, the only think is i have to track the steering and set the steering wheel straight, at the moment its abit left hand down, then i have to set the steering angle again as its pulling to the right due to the s/wheel postion, all in all im happy and have learn never to use a hammer near a mk5 rack, im sure that when i used a hammer to break the TRE's rather than a ball joint seperator its that, that caused the rack fault, a big thank you to Rob and A8 tech your info has helped loads

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah. Perseverance pays off. Well done mate

VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0T 2015 - Awesome snow churning 4x4 GTI 😉

0 0 0

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast