1. Bonnet won't close 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    JUst gone to put some screenwash in the golf (mk5) and the lever was stiff when I opened it. The bonnet gone stuck closed about 2 years ago and thanks to this forum, it was 'bounced' open.

Fearing the same problem I sprayed some WD40 on the lock and now it won't close. The lever in the foot well is in the correct position, but the bonnet just won't click shut.

Had the car washed today and I'm wondering if the jet wash has jammed some crud in the lock mechanism.

Any ideas?

0 0 0

2. Re: Bonnet won't close 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Try working the bonnet release lever at the RHS of the front footwell backwards & forwards quite a few times . This should then allow the cable to go fully back to allow the bonnet to close. This worked on my daughter's MK5.
    The release cable mechaism does seem to stick if it's not used much . I never have this problem as I do weekly engine compartment checks .
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

3. Re: Bonnet won't close 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had this problem recently and after a little investigation found that it was caused by the end of the bonnet release cable rusting inside the lock mechanism causing it to seize. Squirting WD40 inside the lock mechanism and exercising the bonnet release might free it up a bit for a quick fix but for a more permanent solution you need to take the lock mechanism out and clear out some of the rust. Then your car's bonnet release will be as good as new!

I wrote an article on my web site will all the details and some photos if you are interested: http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfm...ing_bonnet.php

Hope that helps,
    Stuart
    http://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5

0 0 0

4. Re: Bonnet won't close 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I,ve had just the same issue a couple of times now.

First time was in the spring, I open the bonnet to check the oil and found I could not close it. It turned out to be the catch/latch cable going to the the catch in the plastic slam panel.
    What caused the issue was a poorly designed cable carrier that clips into the bonnet catch, it unclips loosing pressure on the cable which in turn will not hold the bonnet catch correctly( you will also find the release lever in the car will be a bit floppy).

To cure this issue remove the grill 2 tx 25ish screws the unclip the grill and pull the top away and the bottom will follow.

Then you will see 3 tx27ish screw heads, remove these and gently extract the latch.

You will need to take care of the wires on the latch sensor.

You will then find the latch cable feeding into a black plastic carrier that clips into the underside of the latch mech.

It is a bit of a tight fit but you will need to re clip the cable carrier(2 tabs) onto the latch mech(it will probably pop off several time but after a few goes it should go back on). A few squirts of wd40 into the cable and onto the latch spring will probably help too.

Then re assemble all fixings and re fit the grill and fingers crossed it will be all good.

Yesterday I opened my bonnet and found the lever stiff so I cleaned it out using wd40 but like you even after freeing up that lever I still could not close the bonnet.

I had to do as described above and re attach the cable carrier back onto the latch mech in the slam panel.

Not what you want to have to do of a Saturday evening

Oh for the record I tried to order a new slam panel latch mech from VW in the Spring and at the time the chap at the trade counter told me VW knew of the issue however the part was on back order because there was an issue with the parts manufacturer,mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Obviously a lot of people have had this issue in the past, in my opinion VW should recall all the MK5 golfs and replace these defective slam planel latch mech's before the bonnet flys up and some one gets injured or killed!!!!!

Strong words but my honest opinion

Cheers

0 0 0