1. I've lost 40 hp!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello all, I'm after some advice as I'm at the end of a very long tether!
    I recently had a recon turbo fitted after 6 weeks of owning my car. At a massive cost to myself. (It is a 2004 S-Line 190) Since I had it back I wasnt convinced it had the same pulling power as before the turbo went faulty. It took me a while but I finally got it on a rolling road and it shows that the car is giving 150 bhp on the fly wheel. Until then I didnt say anything to the guy who did the recon in case I was wrong. with this I called him and gave him a few days to look into it as he doesnt do the recon himself. Basically, he doesnt know why this is so, all that was done was the innards replaced so there is no way that there is an issue with wrong turbo which was what I thought it was. I havent got a clue and all I want is my 190 ponies I was promised!!! Gutted. Any ideas would be appreciated, I know its a long one but wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks.
    I know this has already been on but I really am after some ideas so I don't throw even more money at it to solve my problem

0 0 0

2. Re: I've lost 40 hp!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it may not be the turbo
    also maybe
    what rollers did you have it on etc

0 0 0

3. Re: I've lost 40 hp!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can't remember the details to be honest, I have the paperwork here and can't see any reference to the type. On the paperwork it says DynoPlot but I dont know if that is the name or the job title etc. On the website it says that the rolling road is accompanied by SUN testing equipment. Other than that I dont know anything else. Do you have any ideas??
    Much appreciated, thanks, Nat.

0 0 0

4. Re: I've lost 40 hp!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    in what way did the turbo fail?
    if the seals went,then it may have pumped oil into inlet and exhaust,possibly
    causing a sensor fault,or a blockage?
    if it's the 18T,were the spark plugs cleaned?
    simple things such as those can give big problems,
    if the bearings failed,and the wheels contacted the housing, then the turbo housing may have incurred damage,possibly giving too much clearance between one,or both wheels and housing,
    not very likely,i hasten to add,
    regards,
    stewy.
    first time i was up a ladder i was down a well
    4th cog,--two to go

0 0 0

5. Re: I've lost 40 hp!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Stewy,
    Here goes, the first time the turbo went, it just stopped working halfway down the M5, the car ran fine apart from the turbo, sluggish as expected but normal enough. I replaced the turbo but when the car came back I was away and my wife was using it for at least a week before I came back and realised it was still not working, I was in the car for about an hour before it started ******* white/blue smoke from the exhaust. It went back to the garage who sent back the turbo, the report from that was that it had traces of water in it so it was suspected either head gasket or oil cooler. So, I replaced the oil cooler and the turbo. The garage pressure tested the system to make sure it wasn't the head gasket before I took my pride and joy back. 2 turbos and an oil cooler down (approx £1000 lighter) I've had the car a month or so but suspected it still wasn't as fast as it was when I first got it, but had been too busy and skint to get it on the rolling road until now. And as suspected, I have lost 40hp at the fly wheel. I think that is all! And yes its a 1.8T and yes, the plugs were replaced. i appreciate your time already, my mechanical knowledge stops at a push bike so am well out of my depth.... Cheers, Nat

0 0 0

6. Re: I've lost 40 hp!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    post the print out you got from the dyno
    also what engine code is it

0 0 0

7. Re: I've lost 40 hp!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    will do, thanks.

0 0 0

8. Re: I've lost 40 hp!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    img003.jpg

img004.jpg

img005.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    post the print out you got from the dyno
    also what engine code is it
    Hello mate, I hope I've managed to attach the printout, its only taken me all night.... The engine code is BEX. Cheers, Nat

0 0 0

9. Re: I've lost 40 hp!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, just realised that it's all over the shop, wish I'd looked before I posted it....
    Nat

0 0 0

10. Re: I've lost 40 hp!!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You've given a lot of information, but one vital piece is missing. What boost pressure is being generated?

I don't know what the stock values are for these cars, but i'm sure somebody here will. Your problem maybe as simple as a disconnected, or incorrectly fitted hose, and knowing what boost pressure you are generating will give an indication of whether this is the problem and whether the turbo is working correctly.

It may be that the boost pressure is shown on one of the attachments you uploaded, but they're too small for me to read.

On balance I think you need to find a more competent garage.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast