1. Question Auto, multitronic or tiptronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am about to buy an A6 Avant and want an "auto". My funds will only stretch to a car between 2001 and 2003. I have read on this forum many threads about the problems with an auto box which I understand can`t cope with the power.
    I don`t want a manuel so is the "auto" or "tiptronic" boxes reliable compared with the "multitronic".All opinions will be appreciated. Thanks Jack.

0 0 0

2. Re: Auto, multitronic or tiptronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    There are two auto boxes available:

The 2WD cars came with the mutlitronic, or multichronic as it is affectionatley known.

The quattros came with the tiptronic box.

I wouldn't say completely discount the muti box, I have one with 117K and have never had any problems with it. It is a risk though. However there are a number of independants arround know who can fix the multi problems.

The tip box is more reliable, so if you don't want to risk the multi then go for that, it is just if your budget can stretch to a quattro.

0 0 0

3. Re: Auto, multitronic or tiptronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a year 2000 A6 C5 Avant with 63K on the clock. It is front wheel drive but .... has a Tiptronic Box. Touch wood it has always been reliable although by the mileage it doesn't get a lot of use. However, in the last 9 years we have towed a caravan for much of this when it must have had quite a hard time when driven at high temperatures to the South of France.
    I have mostly used the automatic side with occasional use of the sequential side when a bit more power is needed. I have been caught out several times when pulling up at lights when it automatically moves into 1st gear. When you pull away it is easy to forget while the car revs up to30 + in 1st gear - oops ! Thankfully, always on my own

0 0 0

4. Re: Auto, multitronic or tiptronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    All the Autos used to be Tip boxes, then sometime around 2000/2001 the 2WD cars changed to multi when it was introduced. Certianly 2001 and after 2WD cars will all be Multis

0 0 0

5. Re: Auto, multitronic or tiptronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you all very much for your very helpful replies. I don`t think I can stretch to a quatro so may I assume that from 2000/1 onwards all autos are multitronic and if so have Audi improved the box. Thanks again Jack.

0 0 0

6. Re: Auto, multitronic or tiptronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello folks
    I have just had the gearbox oil changed on my 2002 2.0 A6 Avant multitronic at 39000 miles and what a difference it has made.
    Before the oil change the box was a real pain, pulling away when it felt like it, if it felt like it, bloody change of underwear at some junctions situation :-(
    When they changed the oil (£140) they also cleared the memory and now it is a lot more lively and soooo smoooth, it is like a different box.
    i will see how she does, i still have 5 months left on the garantee, if it starts playing up again i will ask for a new box, mind you i can not get the wife to drive it as she says that it is too long and too wide for Guernsey roads, so a lot of the time it just sits in my drive as i use my old Volvo 240 estate for work.
    Now that is a lovely gearbox, 4 speed auto, smoother than a smooth thing,1992, 114.000, miles, never missed a beat.
    regards
    Tank

0 0 0

7. Re: Auto, multitronic or tiptronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Audi did improve the box, some failed ones or even working ones may have been replaced by one with a 7 plate clutch (as opposed to 6) which is understood to have, remedied (or at least improve) the reliability issues.
    2016 VW Transporter T6 2.0 TDI Highline SWB
    2011 Jaguar XFR 100 5.0 V8 Supercharged

0 0 0

8. Re: Auto, multitronic or tiptronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've got a '99 c5 2.5tdi with the tiptronic box and....touch wood.....no problems yet at 278000 miles oil topped up 3000 miles ago. Really scared it will fail but who knows. Hoping to keep till 300000 then look for another one.

0 0 0

9. Re: Auto, multitronic or tiptronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Paul, thanks for that. Would you know what model year Audi fitted the 7 plate. Have I got this right; up to about 2000/1 autos were either tiptronic fitted to quattros or the multitronic fitted to 2wd. After that date all autos are multronic. Jack

0 0 0

10. Re: Auto, multitronic or tiptronic 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dunno when they went to 7 plate multitronics. But as far as I know all auto's up to about 2000 were tiptronic then 2wd went multitronic.

1 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast