Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    test
    Last edited by Greggo; 05-08-2015 at 05:53 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: paint bubbling on wheel arch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    It is only covered for perforation (e.g. MOT failure) not cosmetic rust.
    Is it the front wheel arches? Others have reported a foam wedge above the liner which holds water and salt to keep this area permanently damp.
    It might be best to take the liner off and look, maybe soak the foam in waxoyl or similar?
    Audi A8 - 2015 - 3.0TDI

0 0 0

3. Re: paint bubbling on wheel arch 
    Chipped2 Guest
    Send me your email before you do anything!

0 0 0

4. Re: paint bubbling on wheel arch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I took the arch liner off last weekend as a preventative measure before winter sets in. There is indeed a foam arch moulding (I think it's there for noise supression).

I urge every b5.5 (and possibly b5) owner TO TAKE THE FOAM MOULDING OUT!!

When I removed mine, I noticed the tip of the foam touching the arch had rust stains on it. I decided to clean the area and treat it with rust-proof paint. I think eventually (or inevitably), the arch will rust through from the inside. Therefore you won't notice until it's too late.

0 0 0

5. Re: paint bubbling on wheel arch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    test
    Last edited by Greggo; 05-08-2015 at 05:54 PM.

0 0 0

6. Re: paint bubbling on wheel arch 
    Chipped2 Guest
    VW Bodywork Warranty is for 12 years with no inspections needed as with other makes. Best to start a claim before you start removing wheel arch liners and painting with rust proof paint yourself. Once you start the job yourself you will probably invalidate your Warranty.

Is there an acoustic panel on both sides or just on the drivers side?

0 0 0

7. Re: paint bubbling on wheel arch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipped2 View Post
    VW Bodywork Warranty is for 12 years with no inspections needed as with other makes. Best to start a claim before you start removing wheel arch liners and painting with rust proof paint yourself. Once you start the job yourself you will probably invalidate your Warranty.

It says in my manual that the 12 year corrosion warranty is for perforations from the inside. Pretty rubbish really.

Also, see
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...osion-Warranty
    Audi A8 - 2015 - 3.0TDI

0 0 0

8. Re: paint bubbling on wheel arch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipped2 View Post

This is an interesting one. I thought about going to VW about this issue before painting (remember, there are no signs of rust actually evident from the outside - I only saw traces when i removed the foam cladding). My main problems were, A, there is no VW approved paintshop in my area (have to travel 35 miles to the nearest one) and B, I have seen the fate of others on here who have gone to VW and the excuses they come out with to evade paying for the work.

In my opinion, prevention is better than the cure so I painted the inside of the arch. I'd rather have this setup than the hassle of having to go to VW when the paint does eventually rust through and them maybe not carrying out the work.

0 0 0

9. Re: paint bubbling on wheel arch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi there, vw will deny there is a problem with the front arches bubbling up/ rusting.i was lucky enough to get mine sprayed under warranty and told my work companion to get his done also, as his are bubbling also.he was told at one point that"all cars rust" he pursued the case further and got no result and was even told that my passat was repaired by my mistake and should never have been fixed. it's funny how v.w are denying any knowledge of the arches rusting/bubbling up when there was even an article in a well known car magazine about it last month.

0 0 0

10. Re: paint bubbling on wheel arch 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    test
    Last edited by Greggo; 05-08-2015 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling

0 0 0