Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf VI GT TSI 160 DSG 7speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Golf VI GT TSI 160 DSG 7speed 
    Jacktherat Guest
    After a year with a Scirocco GT TDI, I still feel a lot of discomfort on getting out of the car due to an old back injury. I've made an enquiry for a factory order on a new Golf GTD with DSG and have been quoted a 6 month delivery.
    The next best petrol I think would be a Golf GT TSI 160 with DSG 7speed. Do any forum members have views on this combination........good or bad!
    The GTD is a looker but a 6 month wait?!

Thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf VI GT TSI 160 DSG 7speed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Similar mpg but nowhere near the same performance. Hang on for the gtd or consider a octavia vrs of Audi a3 with the same engine (£8k less in the case of the skoda!)

2010 Golf Mk6 TDI105 SE - now departed, replaced with A3 Sportback

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf VI GT TSI 160 DSG 7speed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Well I've never driven a GT TSI 160 with DSG 7speed so I can't compare, if fact I never driven a DSG. I can't tell you what the performance difference is between a 160PS petrol and 170PS diesel, the petrol may have a slight edge but the economy will be halved.

Waiting 6 months for the GTD, I think its the same for any Golf if you search on here for delivery times, this is stupid. If you want somethng sporty then the new Seat Leon is worth a test drive and they may deliver a lot quicker. I think its the same engine as the GTD plus you used to get the extras as standard on them cruise control, folding mirrors on the 2005 Leon you did. Thats not paying VW's daft prices to have them fitted as an option.
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf VI GT TSI 160 DSG 7speed 
    Jacktherat Guest
    Thanks for the replies. VW seems to offer the 170 TDI only in the GTD guise and I think they are really taking the **** with their pricing. I had a '56 GT 170 TDI with DSG and the spec of the GTD hasn't moved on much but the price has and by a hefty margin, nearly £6K.

I'll have a look at Seat and maybe BMW.

Cheers.

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf VI GT TSI 160 DSG 7speed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My car is that exact combination, and I love driving it and of course it all depends on how you drive the car as to its performance and fuel economy.

In normal "D" it a very low revving engine and will give you good fuel economy for a petrol. Changes up/down gears very quickly and you dont feel it changing. However I have the steering wheel gear paddles and use them alot in this mode.

In Sport "S" its is a very different car. It will hold the gear until into the red line when accelerating hard etc and when slowing down ie. for roundabout the gearbox keeps the engine at its optimum revs for a quick acceleration. It blips the revs as it drops gears. But this does effect the fuel consumption. I have the ACC set in sport mode when using sport as well

My overall fuel consumption is average 34mpg and very happy with the performance. Motorway trip I get 42-44mpg, town driving 29 - 36mpg.

What I will say is that it does not have to mid range torque you get with a diesel engine. The difference is that the power just keeps increase as its revs increase and it swops from the supercharger to the turbo.

I test drove both the petrol and diesel GT DSG back to back before ordering mine. I would suggest you do the same.

Hope this helps
    Collected:- 27th Feb 2010

VW Golf MK6 GT 1.4 TSI 160PS DSG 5 Door Georgia Blue, 18" Vancouver alloys, Air conditioning '2Zone', ACC, RCD510 Radio, Luxury Pack, Winter Pack, DSG Paddles, Parking Sensors, Supagard

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf VI GT TSI 160 DSG 7speed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacktherat View Post
    After a year with a Scirocco GT TDI, I still feel a lot of discomfort on getting out of the car due to an old back injury. I've made an enquiry for a factory order on a new Golf GTD with DSG and have been quoted a 6 month delivery.
    The next best petrol I think would be a Golf GT TSI 160 with DSG 7speed. Do any forum members have views on this combination........good or bad!
    The GTD is a looker but a 6 month wait?!

Thanks.
    I have the GT TSI 160, albeit in manual form, and I think you would be very disappointed in its performance compared to the GTD. The issue is torque, or lack of it. The TSI would feel utterly gutless in comparison, with little or no mid-range shove, unless you absolutely thrash it in every gear.

If you are no too concerned about fuel consumption, get the 2.0T petrol version, as fitted to the Golf GTI, Audi A3 2.0T and Octavia vRS. That engine is a completely different animal, and will completely outclass the TSI 160. And because it is so torquey, the fuel consumption will only be a few mpg less than the 160.

I used to own an A3 2.0T, and have regretted not getting the same engine in the Golf.
    Golf 1.4 GT TSI ACT, Pacific blue, Shetland alcantara, Climatronic, Winter pack.

0 0 0

7. Re: Golf VI GT TSI 160 DSG 7speed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My advice is to get a 2.0 gt tdi, such as http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...us/1?logcode=p and get it chipped to a 170 bhp using one of the site sponsors on here.

Much better value for money and the cost to change will be minimal.

0 0 0

8. Re: Golf VI GT TSI 160 DSG 7speed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, here are my thoughts and experiences:

1. Definately try a GT160, the seats are different compared to the Scirocco, I think the Alcantara base and back is a little softer, might be better for you. I find them excellent, the only thing better being the GTD/GTI ones!

2. If you're not high mileage, then yes definately consider a petrol, unless you like the charactistics of either fuel.

3. I looked in VW Driver magazine, sprint figures are very close for the GT160/GTD170, however the GTD is quicker by 0.5 to 1.0 in their rolling figures

4. I'd recommend the GT160, especially if you do lots of town/stop/start driving. I think the diesel lacks refinement here, they are pretty equal once crusing.

Overall, go and try the GT160 seats!

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf VI GT TSI 160 DSG 7speed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by david25 View Post
    I'd recommend the GT160, especially if you do lots of town/stop/start driving. I think the diesel lacks refinement here, they are pretty equal once crusing.
    I find that low speed driving in town is where the GT160 is at its worst. The problem is the supercharger switching in and out at ~1500rpm, which leads to very jerky progress.
    Golf 1.4 GT TSI ACT, Pacific blue, Shetland alcantara, Climatronic, Winter pack.

0 0 0

10. Re: Golf VI GT TSI 160 DSG 7speed 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think the characteristics 1.4 TSI 160 engines suits the 7 speed DSG gearbox very well. Its is very smooth, quiet and the DSG gearbox ensure that engines is at the right revs at all times.

Its seem like there is a big difference between the manual and the DSG.

There again I guess it also comes down to individual driving styles.
    Collected:- 27th Feb 2010

VW Golf MK6 GT 1.4 TSI 160PS DSG 5 Door Georgia Blue, 18" Vancouver alloys, Air conditioning '2Zone', ACC, RCD510 Radio, Luxury Pack, Winter Pack, DSG Paddles, Parking Sensors, Supagard

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast