1. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just wanted to update you.. not done anything with the fifth gear whine as it doesnt seem so bad most of the time since I have been using the car. (Think it may have been stood before I bought it). Did the release bearing get rid of the whine or just the sticky gears? Instead I have just had an injector failure which needs sorting.

0 0 0

2. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    New release bearing just got rid of sticky gears for me. Sorry to hear about your injector failure. I've had numbers 1 and 3 injectors fail on me too. On top of all the previous problems, I've just replaced oil pump and balance shaft module. £890. Got that fixed but turbo has seized now. Still to price that up but the car is on it's final written warning !! Surely can't be much more to go wrong with this f****** thing!!

0 0 0

3. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bit of an update on this one guys. Just got new clutch, release bearing and gear oil fitted and whine still exists. If anything, it's getting noisier and seems to be gradually happening in 6th gear too! This would seem to suggest that it's NOT a clutch problem but can't be sure. Might be as well asking the man from Del Monte. He say yessss!! I'd put the car into vw but they'd charge for stripping the gearbox down, methinks. Until I win the lottery I don't think I'll bother. Good luck guys.

0 0 0

4. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just noticed this with my B6 2.oltd diesel sport over the last few days and wondered what everyone else thought. only happens in 5th when off throttle slowing from 60ish I.e when coming up to a lot of traffic on the motorway sort of thing.

Any help appreciated.
    Adrian

0 0 0

5. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mine still baulks into second, and whines at times too - to be honest, these have joined the list of 'traits' that I won't worry or do anything about until something physically fails or I trade up (whichever comes first).

Lang may yer lum reek!

Current: '09 Audi A4 Avant SE TDI (143)
    Previous: '56 VW Passat 2.0TDI SE - I survived 'BKP' ownership!

0 0 0

6. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fat controller View Post
    Sorry to tag onto this, but I have noticed that my gearchange into second is really 'baulky' when the car is cold - it clears up once the car gets up to temperature, so I am wondering if it could be gearbox fluid level or the oil needing changed?
    Hi, i too had this, well still kind of do. I got my oil changed and since that i had trouble with 1st to 2nd when cold, felt really stiff and would sometimes crunch (similar to yours) anyhow i took it somewhere else and got a second opinion and was told all is well with clutch and dmf so 2nd oil change. seems a lot better but still not 100% but weather is miler now so maybe that has an effect.
    07 passat estate 2.0 TDI sport

0 0 0

7. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When I first got my Tdi Sport I had a problem with baulky and sometimes slightly crunchy gear changes when the car was cold. It was just as if the synchromesh was very weak. Since the car was only a year old and under warranty I took it back to VW. First time they said the linkage was stiff, greased it, and said it was fixed. I could not detect any difference!. Second time they admitted that there was a recognised gearbox design issue called "cold clash" which effectively makes the makes the synchromesh less effective when the oil is cold and thick. They changed the gearbox oil to a different grade, and the change improved noticeably. It's been acceptable ever since.

Mike

0 0 0

8. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what grade did they change to? mine currently is running on 75w 90 as oppose to the 75w 80
    07 passat estate 2.0 TDI sport

0 0 0

9. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    jmm86. Sorry, but I was never given details of the different oil. The work was done under warranty, and the only paperwork is a Warranty Note which states "Replaced Gearbox Oil".

Mikecb1

0 0 0

10. Re: 5th GEAR WHINE 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My car has just started doing this, only whilst releasing the clutch pedal whilst changing into 5th gear. Noise sound similar to driving over the white rumble strips at the edge of a motorway/ dual carriageway and lats a microsecond. If you dip and release the clutch the noise presents itself again. THIS ONLY HAPPENS IN 5TH GEAR. Anyone discovered a fix?

0 0 0

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast