1. AUDI A4 1.9 tdi 2002 - clutch replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have AUDI A4 1.9 tdi 2002 with 82000 miles, I think my clutch needs replacement - pedal release at the top.

Could somebody advice if I need to replace fly-wheel as well ?

Cheers, Dan
    Audi TT 1.8T Quattro 225 - Sold , AUDI A4 1.9 TDI 130 AWX - now

0 0 0

2. Re: AUDI A4 1.9 tdi 2002 - clutch replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dan, I have a 2002 A4 1.9 tdi avant that has now done 210,000 miles on the original clutch. The clutch does release near the top of travel. I bought mine five years ago with 85,000 miles on the clock and wondered then how long the clutch would last, well it's still going with no signs of slipping. I spoke to a mechanic friend when I bought the car about clutch life expectancy and he told me that there is no definate age/mileage at which a clutch would wear out it is purely down to driving style and the type of roads covered e.g. motorways use less gear changes. Based on this I decided to suck it and see although I'm now begining to think that it must go soon as the pedal does seem to release higher than when I had it as far as I can tell. Normal practice when changing a clutch is to change the clutch cover and release bearing along with the clutch plate. the flywheel should only need changing if it is badly scoured.

I know this doesn't help you in deciding if it's time to change the clutch but it's food for thought.

Regards,

Graham

0 0 0

3. Re: AUDI A4 1.9 tdi 2002 - clutch replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linesgraham View Post
    Dan, I have a 2002 A4 1.9 tdi avant that has now done 210,000 miles on the original clutch. The clutch does release near the top of travel. I bought mine five years ago with 85,000 miles on the clock and wondered then how long the clutch would last, well it's still going with no signs of slipping. I spoke to a mechanic friend when I bought the car about clutch life expectancy and he told me that there is no definate age/mileage at which a clutch would wear out it is purely down to driving style and the type of roads covered e.g. motorways use less gear changes. Based on this I decided to suck it and see although I'm now begining to think that it must go soon as the pedal does seem to release higher than when I had it as far as I can tell. Normal practice when changing a clutch is to change the clutch cover and release bearing along with the clutch plate. the flywheel should only need changing if it is badly scoured.

I know this doesn't help you in deciding if it's time to change the clutch but it's food for thought.

Regards,

Graham
    Hi Graham,

thank you for your reply.

I just bought a car on Sunday. The clutch slipped only once during 3 hrs journey - 5th gear - 2000rpm and I pressed pedal fully down.... it didn't slip if I pressed pedal lightly. It is not slipping on any gear at the moment.

The previous owner was lady, therefore I assuming clutch is a bid bad.

Anyway I hope it will keep as yours :-)

Dan

0 0 0

4. Re: AUDI A4 1.9 tdi 2002 - clutch replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    if you can get it to slip, then its gone, and will only get worse. it is recommended to fit a new dmf when fitting a new clutch though, or a solid flywheel conversion. its a big job to do a clutch and a shame to do it again a few months down the line when the dmf fails.
    Audi 80 tdi avant with 360,000 miles...

0 0 0

5. Re: AUDI A4 1.9 tdi 2002 - clutch replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zollaf View Post
    if you can get it to slip, then its gone, and will only get worse. it is recommended to fit a new dmf when fitting a new clutch though, or a solid flywheel conversion. its a big job to do a clutch and a shame to do it again a few months down the line when the dmf fails.
    Totally agree! Any sign of slippage will only get worse over time. 2000 rpm is in the peak torque range of your engine and any slipping here in a high gear is a tell-tale sign of a worn clutch.

Definitely replace the flywheel when you replace the clutch. Otherwise, chances are, you'll regret it. It costs less for the the extra parts (Dual Mass Flywheel) than the labour of taking everything apart again if the DMF fails (and it probably will).

It may seem counterintuitive to replace parts that seemingly don't require it, but much like replacing your water pump when you change your cam belt, it'll give you piece of mind and it's just smart maintenance at the end of the day.
    Embisix
    Current: 2010 A4 2.0TDI Quattro S line Executive Saloon (Sepang Blue Pearl)

Previous: 2004 A4 Avant 1.9 TDI Quattro Sport (Atlas Grey)
    Previous: A string of (mainly) DOHC VTEC flavoured Hondas

0 0 0

6. Re: AUDI A4 1.9 tdi 2002 - clutch replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Embisix View Post
    Totally agree! Any sign of slippage will only get worse over time. 2000 rpm is in the peak torque range of your engine and any slipping here in a high gear is a tell-tale sign of a worn clutch.

Definitely replace the flywheel when you replace the clutch. Otherwise, chances are, you'll regret it. It costs less for the the extra parts (Dual Mass Flywheel) than the labour of taking everything apart again if the DMF fails (and it probably will).

It may seem counterintuitive to replace parts that seemingly don't require it, but much like replacing your water pump when you change your cam belt, it'll give you piece of mind and it's just smart maintenance at the end of the day.
    Thanks for all replies. I understand it properly, only issue is money (water pump cost £30 - dual fly-wheel cost double of price of clutch kit).

0 0 0

7. Re: AUDI A4 1.9 tdi 2002 - clutch replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sabikeuk View Post
    dual fly-wheel cost double of price of clutch kit).
    Granted, it stings a bit, but for that you get a nice heavy piece of precision engineering and half the labour cost. Also, the old one will clean up nicely and you could turn it into a clock for your garage wall .
    Embisix
    Current: 2010 A4 2.0TDI Quattro S line Executive Saloon (Sepang Blue Pearl)

Previous: 2004 A4 Avant 1.9 TDI Quattro Sport (Atlas Grey)
    Previous: A string of (mainly) DOHC VTEC flavoured Hondas

0 0 0