Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,
    Could anybody help with a problem i have with the boot closing on my A4. Every year when the temperature drops to approximately zero degrees the boot will not shut, on occasion it takes about a dozen attempts to close the boot before it closes on the latch. It doesn't matter if we shut it gently or slam it reasonably hard, it still will not shut.

Throughout the warmer months it works perfectly - Any suggestions please.

Thank you

Steven

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steviega4 View Post
    Hi All,
    Could anybody help with a problem i have with the boot closing on my A4. Every year when the temperature drops to approximately zero degrees the boot will not shut, on occasion it takes about a dozen attempts to close the boot before it closes on the latch. It doesn't matter if we shut it gently or slam it reasonably hard, it still will not shut.

Throughout the warmer months it works perfectly - Any suggestions please.

Thank you

Steven
    It might be the rubberseal when cold might not be flexible enough it has gone stiff in the cold as they are a tube and it won't let air out when you close the tailgate

1 0 0

3. Re: Boot closing problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Saloon or Avant?

0 0 0

4. Re: Boot closing problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, Its the saloon.

0 0 0

5. Re: Boot closing problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same problem yesterday morning. got angry with it and it shut in the end but i bet my neighbours weren't very happy as it was 4am.
    Audi A4 saloon, 2.0L tdi s-line. Retrofitted cruise control, DIS and MFSW. VCDS user.

1 0 0

6. Re: Boot closing problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

I have exactly the same problem with my 55 plate A4 saloon. As soon as the temperature drops the boot wont shut and i look like a massive nob! I tried a shot of lube into the mechanism which did absolutely nothing. I'm considering dismantling the mechanism this weekend to have a look see. Has anyone had a result with this one yet?

Many thanks Paul

0 0 0

7. Re: Boot closing problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Same thing on my boot lid, 05 plate saloon, did it twice within 10 mins this morning, very anoying indeed. Had wondered if anyone else had this issue, now I know I'm not the only one. I tought it was the lock , so sprayed some penetrating oil with silicone into the lock last time it occured a few weeks back but it looks like it made no difference. The strange thing is I don't remeber this happening over the last 3 years I had the car, its only started doing it recently since the frosts have started. It didn't happen last year when we had all that snow & cold, weird

0 0 0

8. Re: Boot closing problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bettsie83 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have exactly the same problem with my 55 plate A4 saloon. As soon as the temperature drops the boot wont shut and i look like a massive nob! I tried a shot of lube into the mechanism which did absolutely nothing. I'm considering dismantling the mechanism this weekend to have a look see. Has anyone had a result with this one yet?

Many thanks Paul

Thanks for that - that made us laugh anyway - at least I'm not the only one that looks a nob!! I've looked a massive nob for the last 3 years good luck!! Steve

0 0 0

9. Re: Boot closing problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This has happened to me this morning, very cold, opened the boot and now doesnt want to close.

Havent tried banging it or anything. Will try again tomorrow.

Hopefully it closes. First time its happened since this cold spell.

0 0 0

10. Re: Boot closing problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have sort of found a way to get mine to shut when i have problems with it.
    With the boot lid open, i operated the lock by closing it with a screwdriver then pressing the release button. Then slam the lid and it shuts.
    Not ideal but it's got me out of trouble a couple of times last week.
    Audi A4 saloon, 2.0L tdi s-line. Retrofitted cruise control, DIS and MFSW. VCDS user.

1 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast