Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Infor i learned from the vw assistance bloke / why not to remap + warranty

1. Exclamation Infor i learned from the vw assistance bloke / why not to remap + warranty 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had cause to call upon vw assistance yesterday 16/06 and have posted about that elsewhere.

I took the oppurtunity to get as much info as i could remember out of him purely for postings sake.

About his kit. i asked if it was vagcom - he told me not to swear and informed me that his box of kit is £8000 worth it must of been 18" x 12" x 5". He cleared a whole host of problems caused be water ingress in to the fuse box - eeek

WHY YOU SHOULDN'T REMAP. I asked him about remapping as i've read alot about it and he agreed thet you may notice differences and is simple enough to do as explained by one of VWAF associate tuning companies.

VW CAN TELL VERY EASILY if you have had a remap. how? like this...

When your car was built the ecu is loaded up and a copy of every cars ecu program is stored (mine is identified with a number, 72 i think) on the VW database wherever that is , if you have a remap and later take the car to a dealer for some warranty work, they will plug the car in to their computer which has a live link to the VW mainframe. This automatically compares the version of your ecu with the copy original back at source. If they differ, hey presto invald warranty, deffo on anything to do with the engine, and possibly all electrics, if not the whole car. Any other ecu prog other than the one that VW uploaded at source will have a different identifying number. the number 72 is not unique to my car, it will apply to all cars of that type.

I won't be gatting a remap.

I also spoke about the MAF. and said what i'd learnt on here, ref the pierburg being better than bosch, not much comment was made as the conversation was quite fast going and he was busy but he did say that the bosch website is a good source of tecci info but i've not looked there yet.

I also askes of towbars - the have to be 'keyed in' to the ecu so that it knows its there. this is to do with the extra voltage required by trailer equipment. if it just tapped in to the indicators and light clusters at the rear of the car there is a possibility of so electronic damage being done
    ther term CANBUS was used in his description.

Thats all i can remeber at the mo.

ben

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So if you want to keep your warranty, dont re-map but if your out of warranty/not concerned with it all then you neednt worry?
    Jim Morrison - "Expose yourself to your deepest fear, after that fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free."

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Basically, yes i suppose. Its entirely up to you. If in doubt, don't do anything that may invalidate the warranty. Some areas of the car may have a longer warranty than others tho.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well i guess you could say iv already invalidated it by changing the wheels and if your really picky the grill? I only had Dealer warranty anyway and it wouldnt be going anywhere near them anyway, they cant be trusted to communicate with each other and mislay service paperwork!

I think i will have mine re-mapped but it will for sure be done at Jabbasport, iv only heard good things with regards to thier work, price may be more but thats not the issue.
    Jim Morrison - "Expose yourself to your deepest fear, after that fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free."

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Each to there own at the end of the day, however as a weak point / example, You can swith your wheels back to the originals (if you still have them) for free as many times as you like. Not so easy with a remap i'd imagine.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    If you remapped vehicle is recalled for software updates the server in germany will still down load the flash update but it may destroy your ecu as it has with me when carrying out the latest 2.0 diesel egr update and guess what the dealer wont pay for the ecu or the remap after the ecu has been replaced.You can decline any software updates but a registration form must be completed so the manufacturer has proof of your decline acceptance.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLFMK5GTTDI View Post
    Each to there own at the end of the day, however as a weak point / example, You can swith your wheels back to the originals (if you still have them) for free as many times as you like. Not so easy with a remap i'd imagine.
    I do, but like i said, its out of warranty in August. Im gonna do a bit more digging, see if i can find out what the dealers round here reckon to it all, not that they will be too talkative on the subject!

0 0 0