1. Intake Manifold Flap Fault Codes and Cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi have had the engine management light come on recently (55 plate Golf TDI 140) and after reading / VAG com scan it appears to be the intake manifold flap seized open:

19557 - motor for IMF (v157): open or shorted to gnd
    p3101

19558 - motor for IMF (v157): No signal
    p3102

My plan was to take it off and give it a clean next week. Does anyone know the exact tools I would need, as my toolbox is limited now I have moved away from my dads place? Heard its only allen keys, but uclear what size.

Carb cleaner sounds like the reccomended fluid to use, can anyone cofirm this?

Thanks
    2006 Golf 2.0L GT TDI

0 0 0

2. Re: Intake Manifold Flap Fault Codes and Cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    5-mm allen key. I think you will find it a waste of time cleaning it, I know other people have succeeded but it has never worked for me. Don’t forget to replace the blown fuse.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Intake Manifold Flap Fault Codes and Cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, might clean the EGR valve and manifold while i'm there.

Will let you know if I have any luck mate ta, fingers crossed!
    2006 Golf 2.0L GT TDI

0 0 0

4. Re: Intake Manifold Flap Fault Codes and Cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    ive never had any luck cleaning them, GSF sell them for £165 which is a fair amount cheaper than genuine

VCDS HEX+CAN CODE READING AND RECODES

OWN A MK5 GOLF TDI JOIN THE GROUP https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/group.php?groupid=23
    2004 mk5, Viezu 140bhp Re-map, GTI front bumper, side skirts, GTI 18in rep wheels, Jamex coilovers, R32 speedo cluster, MFSW, White Roose Motorsport coolant hose's, GTTDI interior, centre consol armrest and ipod dock, leather handbrake lever

0 0 0

5. Re: Intake Manifold Flap Fault Codes and Cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Cleaning the EGR valve and manifold is worthwhile, I use paint stripper and traffic film remover plus a lot of hard scrubbing. In my experience you will have to fit a new manifold flap.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

6. Re: Intake Manifold Flap Fault Codes and Cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I cleaned both the IMF and the EGR valve the other day. Do I need to replace the fuse again to check if it has made any difference?

When I took it to a local indep VW garage for the VAG com scan they replaced the blown 10amp fuse with a 15amp. Is this likely to have blown?

I didn't have time to take the manifold off. Is it easy to remove? Looked like there was about 8 hex bolts to losen on the front of it, it is as easy as that?

I think the gasket on the EGR valve to manifold connection is a bit stretched as there is a slight hiss of escaping gas. Will probs replace the gasket when I take the manifold off and/or replace the flap motor.
    2006 Golf 2.0L GT TDI

0 0 0

7. Re: Intake Manifold Flap Fault Codes and Cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Roughly how long will it take to change the manifold flap assy?
    I guess it would make sense to clean the egr valve too while I'm there, what gaskets would need to be replace when removing the egr(I would like to replace the if required to save any further strip downs)?

Oh what is best to clean the egr valve something like carb cleaner or petrol?

Cheers

0 0 0

8. Re: Intake Manifold Flap Fault Codes and Cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Take the flap and egr off together and split them on the bench its easier that way,as above, the flap gets oil carry over in the electrics and screws up the signal back to the brains,its not the crap in the visible areas, its behind the crimped cover.its easy to do with minimal tools.

0 0 0

9. Re: Intake Manifold Flap Fault Codes and Cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzoff View Post
    Roughly how long will it take to change the manifold flap assy?
    I guess it would make sense to clean the egr valve too while I'm there, what gaskets would need to be replace when removing the egr(I would like to replace the if required to save any further strip downs)?

Oh what is best to clean the egr valve something like carb cleaner or petrol?

Cheers
    Its pretty quick, I reckon I could do it in less than half an hour now I know what I am doing.

Take off the engine cover, remove the air intake pipe to give extra room, unclip hose from bottom of IMF assembly. There are 2 cap screws secruring the EGR valve to the manifold, 2 securing IMF to EGR valve and 1 big one at the back that goes through both parts and in the the manifold.

I cleaned mine with paint stripper and a few squirts of WD40, though I hear traffic film remover is good. I saw a bottle of this in the local pound store the other day so might use that next time when I replace the IMF.

As far as gaskets, there is one between the EGR valve and manifold that I need to replace. Called the dealer and he needs a serial number to determine which one. If you buy a new IMF I believe it comes with the gasket for between that and the EGr valve.
    2006 Golf 2.0L GT TDI

0 0 0

10. Re: Intake Manifold Flap Fault Codes and Cleaning 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for that, I guess I will need a new gasket between egr and the manifold if I am stripping it all down?
    Regarding "traffic film remover " is that available for the usual outlets such as euro, gsf or halfords (will it be found in the car cleaining area)?

Oh I have also found this on the web, looks very helpful:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-...i-solve-2.html

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast