Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Everyone

Fisrt post here so apologies if this has been on before- I couldn't see it in the search I did.

The front fog lamps on my Golf have both misted up badly. The dealer says that this is normal because of the type of seals used and that there is no problem to rectify. BUT, I just can't believe that this is what VW had in mind when they installed them!

Any similar experiences?

Thanks.

Rob

0 0 0

2. Re: Foggy Front Fog lamps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Scotland View Post
    Hi Everyone

Fisrt post here so apologies if this has been on before- I couldn't see it in the search I did.

The front fog lamps on my Golf have both misted up badly. The dealer says that this is normal because of the type of seals used and that there is no problem to rectify. BUT, I just can't believe that this is what VW had in mind when they installed them!

Any similar experiences?

Thanks.

Rob
    Its a common issue these days - lots of foglights are now vented, so are more prone to condensation than sealed units. They should clear after a few minutes use. I'd imagine the problem is worse if you have the lights on immediately as you park up. Turning them off a little earlier may cool them sufficiently to minimse the problem.

2010 Golf Mk6 TDI105 SE - now departed, replaced with A3 Sportback

0 0 0

3. Re: Foggy Front Fog lamps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Never noticed it on the Mk6's I ve seen, but I'm sure I will in time.

However, The MK 5 I owned for 4 years must have had both fog lamps discolouring and misting up over time, without me noticing. I had to change the passenger side fog lamp due to it cracking (dealer quoted £80 for labour only and having trawled some forum's, I did it myself in 10 minutes (£50 for the part). After that, the new light was sparkling and clear and the old one stood out like a sore thumb. If I was keeping that car, I would definitely have changed the driver's side aswell. Most fog lights on the Mk5's (early one's) I see now, seem to be discoloured / misted from the inside.
    Golf 2.0 TDi Match (140) - MY 2011
    Metallic Paint, Dynaudio, Luxury and Protection Packs.

0 0 0

4. Re: Foggy Front Fog lamps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its stated in the manual that the headlights might have condensation in them and this is perfectly normal and will clear not long after they are turned on. I'd imagine the same would be true with the fog lights.

0 0 0

5. Re: Foggy Front Fog lamps 
    Vincent Vega Guest
    It's not just VW. I had misting up rear brake lights in my Mini. I got the dealer to replace them, but the replacements were just as bad.

0 0 0

6. Re: Foggy Front Fog lamps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah, the front fogs on my leon used to fog up, dealer said it was normal but replaced them anyway.
    Golf MkVI GT TDI 140, Pearl Black, 18" Vancouver's, Biege Alcantara, MFSW, telephone prep, Supaguard, Convenience Pack, GAP Plan.

0 0 0

7. Re: Foggy Front Fog lamps 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a new one for my car which I have not fitted yet and there 2 vent pipes in the back part, one in the bottom of the reflector and one in the side of the black part, you can see them if you look close, so if you have been driving in the heavy rain it is quite likely that some water has got in, put them on for 30 mins or so they should dry out.
    Golf mk6 GT TSI 160 3 door Black with convenience pack

0 0 0