1. overcome the deadlock on the rear doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    After a lot of frustration seraching the net with no success, I tried my own approach to removing the deadlock from the rear NS door of my 53 plate Passat. Plaese see the attached and be warned that it involves drilling holes...
    Attached Files

6 1 0

2. Re: overcome the deadlock on the rear doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good effort dude. I found that with the door armour (inner skin) removed that smacking the lock while my beautiful assistant locked and unlocked the doors using the key got the lock to actuate so I could then open the door and service the lock. Its worth a try before you drill holes.

0 0 0

3. Re: overcome the deadlock on the rear doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Believe me it was tried... Last thing I wanted to do was drill holes but nothing else had worked. Thanks for the response.

0 0 0

4. Re: overcome the deadlock on the rear doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 9931stevem View Post
    After a lot of frustration seraching the net with no success, I tried my own approach to removing the deadlock from the rear NS door of my 53 plate Passat. Plaese see the attached and be warned that it involves drilling holes...
    I have a R reg 1997 Passatt and although the diagram was different the drilling and removal of the screw was the same. The screw needed a hexaganal screw remover to unscrew it. Worth making the hole big enough to see through.
    Without your brilliant advice I think I would have ended up by cutting the whole lock out !!! I have left the door so that it is not locked but will sort that when I have some more energy and time. I am not sure that a garage would have even attempted it without quoting £200!!!!
    Best wishes
    Ian

0 0 0

5. Re: overcome the deadlock on the rear doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    hope someone can help,
    I followed the instructions in the pdf and the notes above.
    The screw is now removed and the springs and levers came apart.
    When I pull either the exterior door handle or the cable that went to the interior door handle, nothing happens, the cables just move exactly as they did before I removed the screw.
    Any suggestions are appreciated
    Craig

0 0 0

6. Re: overcome the deadlock on the rear doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi is there no way to disable the deadlocking system from the electronics system(my bro's mondao can be disabled by a set sequence of movements with the key in the ignition ) before this problem occurs ?would be nice as both my passenger side doors have now jammed tight seperatly over 4 months

0 0 0

7. Re: overcome the deadlock on the rear doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by craigowen View Post
    Hi,
    hope someone can help,
    I followed the instructions in the pdf and the notes above.
    The screw is now removed and the springs and levers came apart.
    When I pull either the exterior door handle or the cable that went to the interior door handle, nothing happens, the cables just move exactly as they did before I removed the screw.
    Any suggestions are appreciated
    Craig
    Craig. I was in exactly the same position last week and ended up with a locked door with two massive holes in it to add to my woes. I ended up smashing the lock with a chisel from the inside and the door sprung open half way through. I fitted a second hand spare lock and all was well until i used the central locking again, and the door locked itself! I was close to crying. I unlocked the door again and thumped the door handle and it opened. I took the old lock to bits and realised that when you unlock it, a small plastic 'key' falls into place between the levers that are operated by the outside and inside door handles. This key can get easily stuck with old grease or the door handle cables having any tension on them. Mine wouldn't open cos after i repaired the window, i re attached the cable to the outer door handle too tight. My advice would be to ensure there is no tension on these cables, unlock the door (central locking as well). then thump door handle (this is the right direction to dislodge the sticking key). dont lock it in between thumps. try the outer handle after a couple o thumps.. give it a good try. If this doesn't work, then the next step is to get some pay back with the chisel! If the door does open be sure to slacken the outer door handle cable on reassembly.

0 0 0

8. Re: overcome the deadlock on the rear doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you dont need to drill to remove the door card, the 3 screws are accessible when its shut. the 2 behind the handle and the 1 at the bottom. at least i could get to it,
    then pull the card up at the top, towards the rear of the car and remove.

1 1 0

9. Re: overcome the deadlock on the rear doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    O/S rear door wouldn't unlock on my 03 reg Passat. After being quoted £200 by a garage, I was about to have a go myself - following the advice on this forum. I tried the thumping suggestions first to no avail. I then tried using the central unlock button in the driver's door with the engine running (with a view to adding vibration and increasing the voltage to the lock motor). It worked! The lock is now working normally. But for how long ...?

1 0 0

10. Re: overcome the deadlock on the rear doors 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TFFT! The tapping / thumping with the motor running and AC turned off worked. I locked / unlocked a few times using the drivers door central lock. I had the childlock on so I'm glad I didnt have to drill or go to the repair shop.

1 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast