Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help?

I have a 2002 Passat Estate. The Tailgate seems to have a mind of its own.

The switch on the drivers door only seems to operate if the tailgate is already open - when shut if you pull the switch it is dead - when open you can hear the solenoid working?

The tailgate button on the key fob does nothing (thoigh it makes the indicators flash)and opening the boot via the rubber strip above the number plate only works sometimes. I often have to resort to using the key itself.

The Luggage compartment light is not working (bulb is fine) and the dashboard warning light does not come on when I open the tailgate?

I did have an issue very recently with the rear wash pipe coming off and soaking the inside of the tailgate - but I have dried it all out and drowned all the conections in WD40.

If anyone has any tips please let me know.

Many thanks

Derek

0 0 0

2. Re: Tailgate Opening Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    A faulty microswitch in the lock mechanism can give these symptoms as can damaged CCM wiring. As you have had washer problems I would look to the lock.

1 0 0

3. Re: Tailgate Opening Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I replaced the microswitch/lock today and now my luggage compartment light works as does the warning light if I leave the tailgate open.

However, the remote locking on the key fob and the tailgate release on the drivers door still do not work.

Any suggestions please?

Many thanks

Derek

0 0 0

4. Re: Tailgate Opening Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    That could be the connecting wires on the ccm under the passenger seat. The remote unlock/lock works via the ccm. Wires are here. https://sites.google.com/site/1810martin/b5-ccm-wiring

0 0 0

5. Re: Tailgate Opening Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to update....

Pulled up the passenger side front and rear carpet this weekend. Was very wet and smelly but not swimming.

Thankfully the CCM box was bone dry! All the wiring and connections are ok so I think I caught it about right.

Have now dried and aired it out thoroughly and reassembled everything. Combination of rented wet vac and trusty fan heater.

Last weekend I unblocked the Plenum Chamber drains so hopefully I'm sorted. Though there was little eveidence of any 'flooding' in there? I also re-fitted the scuttle panel today as it was proud of the windscreen - had to clean out the little slot at the foot of the screen that it clips into. Am wondering whether or not to run a thin bead of black sealant along it as a belt & braces measure?

I felt around the base of the pollen Filter housing and the foam gasket appears to be nice and dry - bit baffled by this given the wet interior? Does it get in anywhere else? The musty smell under the carpet makes me think it got wet some time ago however - so I guess the plenum chamber could have prevously flooded and eventually drained. The car is not used every day!

Re the tailaget opening - on the Audi I drive at work and on my wifes new Fiesta pressing the release button on the fob 'pops' the boot open - I wrongly assumed that the Passat would behave in the same way. I have now learn't that it simply unlocks it! So actually it is ok after all that. The interior Boot release button is still not popping the boot open properly (sets it ajar - but thats it) - but I'll live with that for a while.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice so far.

Derek.
    Last edited by audicab26; 03-10-2010 at 05:04 PM.

0 0 0

6. Re: Tailgate Opening Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update...

I thoroughly dried out the front & rear passenger side last week end - the car is having a new pollen filter seal fitted next week.

However I am a bit baffled. I have not moved the car all week - the plenum chamber is fairly dry - yet I have a soaking wet passenger side interior again - even in the rear?

I know we have had a lot of rain this week - but the pollen filter housing can't have leaked that much - can it?

Am I missing something? There is a lot of water in the car.

When I opened the n/s/r door the sill was very wet - but lifted the rear carpet up and attacked the door with a hose, no sign of water ingress there as far as I could tell.

Is it likely to be down to the pollen filter or should I look elsewhere? Wits end now on the horizon!!!!!!

Thanks for any tips.

0 0 0

7. Re: Tailgate Opening Problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Pollen filter can leak badly if not well sealed. It may be door armour seal. I would try the hose on the doors for longer. Or strip the trim off the door inside first to get a better look.

1 0 0