1. Post Change the headlamp bulbs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Last night I had a tortuous time changing all 4 H7 bulbs in my Valeo headlamps on my 2008 Passat.

I bought some new PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs for the main beam, and some of the brand new Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs for the dipped beam.
    Changing the main beam was pretty easy as the bulbs just pop out of the holder after a bit of a wiggle. One came out with the connector attached, the other I had to remove the connector and wiggle the bulb myself.
    As always being very careful not to touch the bulb at all (wrap it in a rag as you remove it).
    The dipped beam projector housings are a LOT more difficult to access, especially the driver side as its obscurred by the washer fluid bottle. I discovered that the bulb holders twist to remove for these bulbs. Seemed easy enough to remove the passenger side (the one I started with) so I was at that point optimistic. However, I didnt pay enough attention to how the bulb holder came out! I then struggled for over an hour trying to line up the bulb holder with the 2 metal lugs, without bashing the new bulb on the housing, without trapping the wires that run inside the headlamp unit, and without touching the bulb. I eventually managed to get one side twisted back on but couldnt do both. I went for tea
    After tea and in the dark (which makes no difference as you cant see in the headlamp housing anyway so its all done by feel) I tried again with no initial success. I then managed to get my hand into the driver side housing, past the washer bottle, to see how the bulb holder was oriented. The cables were pointing downwards. After rotating the passenger side holder so the cables pointed downwards the bulb holder twisted on pretty easily.
    With one done I felt confident enough to try the tricky drivers side and now I knew how to do it, I changed the bulb in about 90 seconds!!

So, despite VW not putting ANY instructions in the manual, and there being precious little information about the process on the web, it is a pretty straight forward process for both dipped and main beam bulbs.

However, a couple of things to remember:
    Dont rush it
    Pay attention to the orientation of the bulbs and holders as you remove them
    Never touch the bulbs
    When twisting the dipped beam holders back into the mountings, you need to push quite firmly as they are spring loaded.

Hope this helps someone, and prevents you spending money to get the dealer to change the bulbs for you. Now I just need to change the sidelights for white LEDs so they match the whiteness (no blue tinge here) of my new bulbs

p.s. The new Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs (http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H7-...bulbs-NEW-pair) are currently only available from www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk and their service has been impeccable
    2008 Passat Saloon Highline Spec
    2.0 Tdi 140ps
    Upgraded stereo to RCD510
    Want to improve Premium Telephone, add MDI (not stupid ipod dock), and add front fog lights.

0 0 0

2. Re: Change the headlamp bulbs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Of course, the manual instructs you to go to a qualified delearship to get the bulb changed.

I'm surprsied they are allowed to design cars that don't allow for an easy bulb change, since driving with a defective bulb is an offence.

If you're on a long drive at night, for example, what do VW expect you to do if a bulb goes?
    06 Passat 2.0 TDi 140 SE Estate, Reflex Silver, 125,000 miles

1 0 0

3. Re: Change the headlamp bulbs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I've got two very detailed pdf. files (10pp. with lots of pics.) on replacing Valeo and Hella bulbs. Can't think where they came from though - anyone else got them and a link?
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

4. Re: Change the headlamp bulbs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you have them can you attach them to this thread?

I totally agree with you Stuart W. The same applies to driving in Europe where it is an offence to have a defective bulb. Here you are more likely to be given a warning, if the police can be bothered!! I can just imagine driving in the middle of nowhere in France, your bulb goes pop, it 10pm and there is a traffic cop down the road. What do you say/do? Sorry officer I have booked it in with the VW dealer in England for their next slot in 2 weeks time!! Probably wont win too many friends with the Gendarmerie
    2.0 Tdi 140ps
    Want to improve Premium Telephone, add MDI (not stupid ipod dock), and add front fog lights.

0 0 0

5. Re: Change the headlamp bulbs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I can't put them on the board, the link to where I originally got them now gives me 404 errors, and they're copyright, so I'm guessing it's not for me to put them in the public domain

I've been poking about on the VWvortex board, and reading there and your original post makes me wonder if the files would add a great deal - and I should have said 'diagrams' not 'pictures'.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

6. Re: Change the headlamp bulbs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's a shame as some good technical diagrams would probably help a lot of people. I am pretty technical but the hassle in changing some headlamp bulbs did frustrate me somewhat.
    I too poked around vwvortex and passatworld and couldnt find any relevant info about 2008 B6 Passat headlamps. The diagrams were posted for the B5.5 somewhere, but they are different units completely. Someone had posted back in 2008 with lots of photos but they are no longer visible. I do find this problem with all forums as the photos arent stored by the forum due to space and cost constraints, so if 3rd party hosted they will likely dissapear overtime and suddenly the knowledge is lost.
    I am looking at buying ElsaWin and Etka from Ebay as they arent much money and have ALL the information a VW owner could ever want about taking the car to pieces, and all part codes for replacement parts. No more waiting for the dealer to work out which part it might be
    2.0 Tdi 140ps

0 0 0

7. Re: Change the headlamp bulbs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I noticed that the pics had gone, and it's interesting that all links to the pdfs have disappeared too - mine have 'Copyright VW of America' on them so I'm guessing that's the reason.

Be careful if you go for Elsawin on ebay, there's some dodgy ones about. Might be worth doing a search on here because there have been comments, some from Martin1810 if my memory serves me, so well worth a read.
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

8. Re: Change the headlamp bulbs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darksprout View Post
    Changing the main beam was pretty easy as the bulbs just pop out of the holder after a bit of a wiggle. One came out with the connector attached, the other I had to remove the connector and wiggle the bulb myself.
    The main beam holder should seat in one side and clip in the other.

When you grab hold of the bulb holder you need to pull it sideways as though you are trying to snap the bulb in half and it will unclip and release.

Putting the bulb back in first seat one side of the bulb then press the other side in and it should click in position.

Ben and shark performance gave me a very informative how to sheet with pictures, sounds just like the ones mentioned earlier.

Cheers
    Lee
    2010 VW Passat 2.0CR TDi DSG, Parking Sensors, RCD510 with Media-In Interface and bluetooth, Leather, Cruise, TPM, Auto Hold, 17% Tints, Candy White.

0 0 0

9. Re: Change the headlamp bulbs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've not looked at mine yet, but as I'm getting HID's soon, I might have to have a go tommorow...

In the eternal words of top gear.. How hard can it be?
    06 Vw Passat 2.0TDI SE Wagon. Daily
    89 Vw Polo Cl Saloon. Project
    03 Seat Leon TDI. Gone.

0 0 0

10. Re: Change the headlamp bulbs 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brightside View Post
    In the eternal words of top gear.. How hard can it be?
    A RIGHT FAFF!

Got there in the end but a mirror does help and when you've done it once it sort of make sense. A bit like replacing the batteries on a sky remote.... One bulb 28 minutes of frustration!

Thanks for the tips above why VW couldn't have made it easier is beypnd me - more dosh for the dealers I guess?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast