1. Clutch / DMF time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As a coupe of you may recall, my 170TDI estate I purchased in July has a slight disconcerting whirring noise when engaging the clutch on occasion.

My mechanic has now managed to expereince this, which please me in itself, as I think it's the first time I've ever had an intermitent issue witha car that has actually showed up when the mechanic's driven it!

However, much less pleaseing is that he has confirmed that it sounds like the beginning of the end for the clutch or more likely / specifically the DMF.

He advised that it's not deadly urgent just yet, but if and when it gets much worse she'll hacve to come in for replacement. Reckons I'd get another two or three months in before it gets chronic.

However, I'm wondering if there is any point in delaying?

On the off chance that the whole thing disintegrates on the motorway next week, taking God-knows-what with it, I'd feel a right **** for not having got it done. And it's not like I'm suddenly going to find the cost of replacement much easier to afford in a couple of months.

So, a couple fo questions:

Should she go straight in for surgery, or can I try and save my pennies for a couple of months?

Will it be the whole clutch & DMF combo that needs replacing? Do they effecticely come as a team?

What costs can I expect at best, and is there any way to save money on this?

0 0 0

2. Re: Clutch / DMF time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've just ordered a DMF and clutch kit online, ginuwine one, very, very cheap and brand new!
    IMO I would change it asap, otherwise it could cause more damage, if you leave it very late.

Mine is about to go, therefore I've booked it in next Monday!

Is yours a 2.0 TDI?
    For Sale: VW Passat 2.0 TDI Sport

1 0 0

3. Re: Clutch / DMF time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Zeb, will take a look at that.

It is a 2.0TDI, yes. Presume the 170 has the same DMF as the others?

0 0 0

4. Re: Clutch / DMF time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A1Dan75 View Post
    Cheers Zeb, will take a look at that.

It is a 2.0TDI, yes. Presume the 170 has the same DMF as the others?
    Great! I aint too sure about that, but I'm sure there will be someone else with a little more info on that.

0 0 0

5. Re: Clutch / DMF time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the 170 could possibley have a more heavy duty clutch than the 140's to cope with the extra torque? Not sure though.

Keep us posted as I'm thinking of changing mine soon as I'm getting paranoid it's going to suddenly go on me and cost me like £1200 to fix :| lol
    06 Vw Passat 2.0TDI SE Wagon. Daily
    89 Vw Polo Cl Saloon. Project
    03 Seat Leon TDI. Gone.

0 0 0

6. Re: Clutch / DMF time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The parcel arrived today, it's made from a company called SACHS. Came with 6 bolts, everything included!

I will keep you guys posted! It's booked in for next week Monday

0 0 0

7. Re: Clutch / DMF time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    The parcel arrived today, it's made from a company called SACHS. Came with 6 bolts, everything included!

I will keep you guys posted! It's booked in for next week Monday
    Sachs, German company, used to make engines for scooters, among other things, if my memory serves me.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

8. Re: Clutch / DMF time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On my B5.5 passat when I had faulty DMF it took 24H and 120 miles to kill it when down motorway started to getting noise whent to VW and they saying that they need to have a look, ask them if safe to drive they said yes, whent down about 120 miles to pick my mate up parked up at home could not start the car next morning, VW assistant come out try to tow start the car no result the Starter motor, Clutch and DMF was F...... total bill £1600 only paid £600 and the rest VW for there advice saying yes, there is no time limit or milage that DMF can't go what I can remember the last think when the car was running it sounded like hammer banging on gearbox, if you have the cash do it asap.

0 0 0

9. Re: Clutch / DMF time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    SACHS make good quality items. On my old car I was planning on putting in a SACHS organic clutch, but never got round to it lol
    06 Vw Passat 2.0TDI SE Wagon. Daily
    89 Vw Polo Cl Saloon. Project
    03 Seat Leon TDI. Gone.

0 0 0

10. Re: Clutch / DMF time 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brightside View Post
    SACHS make good quality items. On my old car I was planning on putting in a SACHS organic clutch, but never got round to it lol
    I'd second that. LuK are also good.
    I've got a coffee theme going here...
    '58 Passat Highline Est. - Mocha Anthracite with a Latte Interior

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast