Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Technically speaking the typical damage in this area is only covered by the three year paint warranty, the corrosion warranty only covers perforation rusting from the inside out and this is more inside, then under and up the other side. Why some plonker specified an absorbent foam for this task is anyone’s guess, total stupidity probably caused by a penny pinching accountant and a young engineer who did not understand rust, only NVH.
    Outside influence by a rubbish design hey. Stopped the vibrations a treat but friction, grit and salt with water as the sponge pushes the plastic sharp inner wing against a lightly protected inner side of wing is never going to work.

On my second Mk5 Golf before it started I whipped the sponges out, treated them with primer and pained in inner wing with some Epoxy Mastic. Far better than what VW did on my first Golf. Then adjust inner wing so it doesn't rub.

As for inside that often means from under the paint outwards, not inside of the wing to outside either through or down and around.
    '08 GOLF GT TDI 140

0 0 0

2. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Please be aware that a body shop repair carried out by a VW dealer is only guaranteed for 3 years paint & workmanship) and parts are only guaranteed for 2 years. I have just had a damaged front wing replaced by a VW body shop through a VW dealer . I was surprised by this as I thought I would get a VW gurantee and not a dealership gurantee.
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

3. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well, this is an update to my original posting and my thanks to Kevster140, VWcabriolet1971 and Crasher for getting back. Not surprisingly after email conversations with the paintshop it has now all gone quiet after they blamed the VW Customer Service team for being the ones stopping them doing the work and vice-versa. I am now left with either pursuing the cost of replacing the wings OR using that money as a deposit on a replacement second hand car which has been in the back of my mind anyway. The sad fact is that after this experience I am more likely to go back to Vauxhalls although generally speaking the VW has always seemed a better build with the reassuring 'clunk' rather than 'clank' sound as humorously portrayed in the old adverts. I have a feeling that any pursuit of the warranty given that the car is 10 years old is just going to be delayed and will be just too much hassle.

The other option is to buy a couple of wings and remove/fit the new ones myself and then invest in a paint job.
    Anyone got any good sites for parts and how-to videos?

Thanks.

0 0 0

4. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    This months Car Mechanics magazine covers the job https://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/car...kaAoTVEALw_wcB
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    My daughter had 2 front bubbling wings replaced about a year ago with no problems. It seems a little crazy to me that a wing replacement due to rust can reduce the VW body guarantee from 12 years to 2 years !
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator

0 0 0

6. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    I would take them to the small claims court (easy to do - google "small claims court" . I'm fairly sure that they will cave in eventually. good luck. Our local well respected bodyshop (non-VW) gives a better guarantee than all the VW dealers. When my VW body guarantee runs out I will revert to tis bodyshop.

0 0 0

7. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Really nice to see this thread still alive and well, going strong.

Quite simply there is just good sound solid advice contained, that if / when followed should result in a successful claim. I joined this thread back at post #114 some 300,00 views and a million likes ago.

It really helped me and I like to think I added to the thread and kept it going for another 30 or so pages encouraging others to follow suit.

Here's hoping it helps hundreds more....

Edit - I'm back with the Passat that I posted about here some 7 years ago. We now have her back in the family and are trying to resurrect her after being unloved for several years

Jim

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign
    LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
    MY2007 Audi A6 2.0 Tdi SE (BRE)
    176bhpStratos Blue.Front & Rear park assist,Comms Pack High,19" RS4 alloys,Rear tints,Dipped bulbs 80W,Mainbeams & Foglights 100W,Number plate LED's,Interior LED's

0 1 0

8. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Jim - could you maybe guide me to the post that summarises the best approach to claiming. I have a 2012 VW golf TDI, and VW have agreed to complete Cill work for Ł600 as a goodwill gesture, and I want to pursue them for a greater contribution.
    What do you advise? Many thanks

0 0 0

9. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all
    I know this thread will go on forever with VW so simply question
    If I replace new vw OE right front wing would it solve problem by not putting foam back on
    My 2005 was repaired by me and a month latter returned
    I have a 2007 now and same problem with only 97,000 on the clock
    Plus usual corrosion/rust on rear as was 2005 model both estates
    Sidepike

0 0 0

10. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi. Does this thread apply if its the rear wheel arches that are rusting rather than the front? We have a 2013 sharan showing a bit of rust there and also the edge of the adjoining panel. I rang our local vw repair centre today and they told me it's not covered by the 12 year warranty only the 3 year one. He asked if it had ever been painted before, I replied 'no'.

They said they had never heard of anyone claiming under 12 year anti corrosion warranty successfully. I had mentioned there were thousands of reports of it online. He advised me to take the car to the repair centre for them to look at and they could give me advice...what should I do in this case?

0 0 0

Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2464727374