Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ayup all,
    I got a thorn in the sidewall of my front tyre the other day - bad news in itself, but as i was changing it, my thumb rubbed over a tiny bubble of the wheel arch. upon closer inspection, yes it's the beggining of rust, It's an 05 plate estate with only 50k on the clock.
    so, i did a bit of googling and came across all of the stories about VW wriggling out of it, it's a common fault possibly caused by the sponge they glued to the inside of the wing.
    so - i took it into the ******* and his grin was ear to ear.
    he said it was common and mentioned the sponge but was surprised and how new the car was and the low mileage.
    he said he would put the claim in, but it would probably be turned down, and i would'nt get a good will claim either b'cause i had been it serviced elsewhere.
    Anyone got any good news to tell me they got agood result or any tips on how to handle VAG customer services if i need to...???

Cheers

0 0 0

2. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, just found your thread. I have a 52 Plate Passat with the same issue - how did you get on with VW customer services?

Thanks

0 0 0

3. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not heard back from them yet.

will post when i do.

0 0 0

4. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I've just had my claim for the same issue 'rejected'. Did you ever get anywhere with your claim?

Many thanks

0 0 0

5. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think it is scandalous that VW refuse to pay for this type of repair - if it is caused by the wing corroding from the inside out it should be covered by the anti-perforation warranty. There is nothing that would be done on the bodywork inspection by a dealer that would prevent this from occurring. Are they suggesting the dealer would remove the wing liner and treat this area? I worked at a Saab / Hyundai main dealer for 14 years as the warranty manager and both of these franchises would have paid out for this type of repair had it ever occurred, as for the annual body inspection which is 'allegedly' done by main dealers it is nothing more than a visual inspection if you are lucky. Most technicians will just stamp the service book that it has been done anyway!

0 0 0

6. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    gents,
    the first claim 'got lost' so when i followed up, they took all my details again,
    VW rejected it, but then i took it to head office and their claims resolution offered me 30% discount on the repair if i paid for it.
    so i rang back the body shop to discuss and he said 'is it under warranty ? ' yes i said, why i said. oh becasue we have a different hourly rate for warranty claims. it's nearly double. so that 30% off is on a 100% marked up price. robbin' bleeders. i then asked for two quotes, one as a warranty job, one as a joe bloggs off the street. the warranty price was just over 500 notes, i never got the off the street price.
    i also clarified with the paint shop, that if i did pay to get the warranty work done, would they pay out if it went again ?
    no sir...

So i put it to the paint shop man - so you want me to pay over the odds for something that should be covered under warranty, b ut you wriggle out of and i wouldnt be able to claim again if it went again ? yes sir he said... i do see you point...

as i work in the aerospace industry as an engineer, i explained this to the girl and that i would fully understand any technially challenging documents and asked the head office girl for the reports that were carried out to prove it wasnt warranty rust. she declined to provide the report

Bunch of cowboys. so i'm going to get it looked at when i get my bumper scuff looked at in a local body shop. i cant invalidate the warranty as there really isnt one.

0 0 0

7. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have found the dreaded bubbles on the n/s wing on my 54 plate passat. Not referred to dealey yet. Perhaps, fearing the likely rejection, it's time for an FOI request to see the extent of the problem!

0 0 0

8. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Chipped2 Guest
    Claimants who have persisted have received contributions of between 50%-100% ! You are only limited by your own efforts ! Just wade in there.

It's not necessary to have a FVWSH, nor any 'Annual Inspections'. Your claim is under the 12year Bodywork warranty and is against the body rusting from the inside out NOT vice/ versa. It has nothing to do with the mechanical warranty NOR is it caused in a mechanical way.

Read the posts that have been on the Forum for some time and print relevant VW Worldwide documents off and use them to your advantage. Insist on having a VW Reference Number AND name of person you spoke too and quote it on each contact with VW. Don't expect VW to give in easily..... it is not in their interests to do so BUT .....neither is it in their interests for the gereral public to know that their cars are RUSTING through in just a few years and the VW Warranty appears totally WORTHLESS.

0 0 0

9. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I took preventative measures on mine.

My dad has an old transporter which when 4 years old, started rusting on the inner wings. He took ut to VW who basically told him to **** off. Since then, I've just taken any manufactureres corrosion warrantees to be worthless.

Last summer I took the arch liner out of my 04 passat, and took the sponges out. When I looked at where it rested on the metal of the wing, I saw grit and the beginnings of rust. I thought if we have the winter we had in 2009 again (which we did, but worse!), the grit on the roads would speed up the rusting.

Took the sponges out, and painted the areas affected with rust proofing paint (ronseal if I remember correctly). Fingers crossed!

0 0 0

10. Re: front wing corrosion 
    Chipped2 Guest
    Hi ddave05,

You did what you thought best at the time, saw the problem of the dirt dust and grit etc that causes the galvanized coat to be abraded by the foam sound deadening..... which subsequently corrodes following the missing galvanized coat.

You have no doubt saved your wings from further corrosion but in doing so have prevented any claims under your Warranty. On a more positive note you haven't had any dealings with an OBSTINATE VW which can be very frustrating.

VW Worldwide bulletin sheet to dealers sent to all in 2009 advises either repair or replacement and giving Dealers details of how to claim their costs back and the correct procedures to repair or replace the corroded parts....paint codes, cutting back the foam to by 10mm to prevent further abrasion and a flexible sealant to be applied to the area.

It is strange that they drag their feet when they have identified the problem and issued the instructions to repair/replace and how to claim. Beggars belief that they prefer to taint their otherwise good name with existing loyal customers rather than act responsibly. They have chosen the long term, more expensive option bearing in mind that in time, there will be some pretty rusty wings, tailgates etc on Golfs and Passats.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast