Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Front Bumper Minor Damage Advice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Front Bumper Minor Damage Advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi,

Was at a wedding yesterday and some idiot reversed into my car in full view of several witnesses. I say idiot because they were apparently showing off by trying to reverse into the very large space quickly, didn't have their mirror folded out, had parking sensor(!) and didn't have the courtesy to come and apologise at the very least.

Now luckily there is only a small dent (and minor paint scuff) on the front bumper, some small scratches and chips (possibly from their previously damaged rear bumber) and some markings on the registration plate. The hotel contacted me with the name and phone number of the person but they went before I could discuss the matter with them, luckily 2 hotel employees witnessed the bump.

Now in all honesty the damage appears to be minor and cosmetic (I'll just get the local VW dealer to check that it is nothing more) and if I was responsible for damage, I probably wouldn't progress replacing the bumper, reg plate, and pay a £400 insurenace excess.

Out of interest however, does anyone know the rough cost of just a Mk6 front bumper (GT model) in graphite blue. Also any opinions on whether you would progress this. The lack of aology is anoying but when you have gone to great efforts to look after your vehicle, it is frustrating that others are less careful. Needless to say, I haven't yet been able to get hold of the person on the phone number they have given, although my insurance company have confirmed it is insured.

Many thanks for any opinions on this,

Damian

0 0 0

2. Re: Front Bumper Minor Damage Advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by damian33 View Post
    Now in all honesty the damage appears to be minor and cosmetic

Out of interest however, does anyone know the rough cost of just a Mk6 front bumper
    Well a new front bumper cover primed is £280 then you need to get it painted.

Without seeing any photos its hard to say how bad it is, can you post some?
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

0 0 0

3. Re: Front Bumper Minor Damage Advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be going through insurance personally. A lot of hassle and cost down the line for what is a relatively small and cheap repair. However, seeing as the other person has essentially done a runner, are they likely to pay for work you get done privately. Probably not.

With regards to the repair, have a look for a second hand bumper and cost up a respray at a reputable body shop. They will be cheaper than a main dealer, and the quality of the work should not be any less just because they are independent.
    2010 Focus ST-3

0 0 0

4. Re: Front Bumper Minor Damage Advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Damian

Don't see the problem here ?

1, You have witnesses
    2, you are clearly not at fault
    3, your ins company has confirmed the other car is insured.

Why do you think you are going to have to pay an insurance excess ?

If it was the other way around, would the other driver "let you off" ?

Take this to your broker/insurance company, & also a third party legal expenses company if you have one (usually called legal expenses)

If you are not at fault & your insurance co has somebody to claim against you should not be involved in any cost & should be able to claim for expenses etc..

Very interested to know how this goes

1.6 DTI Blue Motion Technology, DSG, Pacific Blue Metallic.

0 0 0

5. Re: Front Bumper Minor Damage Advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    The more these kind of people get away with this kind of thing the more they think it's acceptable behaviour . If it happened to me I'd call the police. They would track down owner and his address and insurance details. You could then claim on his/her insurance. With your witnesses it would be and open & shut case case with no impact to your no claims bonus or insurance cost. These people need to be made accountable for their actions.
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

6. Re: Front Bumper Minor Damage Advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Damian, maybe you should present your car to a Smart Repairer ? less hassle all round.
    TSI 1.4 SE DSG

0 0 0

7. Re: Front Bumper Minor Damage Advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vwcabriolet1971 View Post
    The more these kind of people get away with this kind of thing the more they think it's acceptable behaviour . If it happened to me I'd call the police. They would track down owner and his address and insurance details. You could then claim on his/her insurance. With your witnesses it would be and open & shut case case with no impact to your no claims bonus or insurance cost. These people need to be made accountable for their actions.
    agree entirely that the moron shouldn't get away with it, but reckon the chances of the police taking an interest are in the region of zero
    Mk 6 Steel Grey Match 1.4 TSi DSG
    (formerly Mk6 Steel Grey SE TDI 140 DSG)

0 0 0

8. Re: Front Bumper Minor Damage Advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilDon View Post
    agree entirely that the moron shouldn't get away with it, but reckon the chances of the police taking an interest are in the region of zero
    I agree that the police are unlikely to volunteer to get involved but they would have to assign an incident number which would be useful for any insurance claim and of the insurance company would say "why didn't you report it to the police".
    MK6 Golf SE 1.6TDI 105bhp winter pack ,sunroof , full size alloy spare wheel, flat tyre indicator
    Skoda Octavia II SE 1.9PD TDI
    VW 1302LS Beetle Karmann Cabriolet 1971 1584cc

0 0 0

9. Re: Front Bumper Minor Damage Advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vwcabriolet1971 View Post
    I agree that the police are unlikely to volunteer to get involved but they would have to assign an incident number which would be useful for any insurance claim and of the insurance company would say "why didn't you report it to the police".
    fair point - I'd overlooked that aspect
    Mk 6 Steel Grey Match 1.4 TSi DSG
    (formerly Mk6 Steel Grey SE TDI 140 DSG)

0 0 0

10. Re: Front Bumper Minor Damage Advice? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try Chipsaway, standard price is £160 for bumper repair.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast