1. 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have recently acquired a new Golf Plus 1.6 TDI Bluemotion, it is a nice car but I must admit that I'm disappointed at the fuel economy. After two complete tankfuls I'm getting 48-49 mpg. I would say that the sort of driving I do is pretty average, not much start/stop and my drive to work is 12 miles on reasonably clear roads.

Obviously I wouldn't expect to match the quoted 65 mpg, but is it normal for it to be that much difference? I'd be interested in other people's experiences.

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Plusowner, I have the same vehicle which is now 6-months old. If I reset (i.e. zero) the average mpg on the computer before I start a trip on the motorway I can record in the region of 69 mpg @ 65 mph or 65 mph at 70mph. When this then includes travelling around town the average mpg sits at about 45 – 50 mpg; although I do live in an area best described as the “roundabout” capital of the world with an awful lot of stop-starting.

1 0 0

3. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The car is new, and only two tanks used that's what, 1200 miles on the clock? Everything is still tight and running in. You won't ever get the manufacturers claims from a brand new car. As the car gets older and the miles pile on, you will notice your average getting higher and higher.
    2010 Focus ST-3

1 0 0

4. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you both for the replies. Yes, 1200 miles pretty much on the button. I'll give it a few more tankfuls and hopefully it'll improve - it's got some way to go yet as I'm getting low 40's at 70mph.

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update: with the third tankful I got 543 miles at a paltry (for this model) 46 mpg. I'm getting more convinced that there's something wrong with the car, I'll see what VW says.

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is this your first diesel? We really need more detail with regards to your driving. Yes you say a 12 mile commute (which isn't really enough time for a car to properly warm up btw), but what's the terrain like? Hillly? Constant speed changes? I'd put money on there being nothing wrong with the car, and it being the type of driving you're doing that is not allowing you to get the most from the car. Also, when I said more miles on the clock earlier, I meant a little more than 500. I was really thinking tens of thousands.
    2010 Focus ST-3

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Put it like this, the car I replaced (a 2.2 L Diesel Toyota Verso) was doing the same journeys at an average of just under 44 mpg - compared to the manufacturer's "combined" figure of just under 45mpg. This figure varied little over time (obviously it did between tankfuls) -though admittedly it already had around 4,000 mile on the clock when I got it - but over the four-year period I had it the average consumption hardly changed.

It's actually my fourth diesel - the car before that was a 2.0 litre Citroen (from new) - that did improve by 1 or 2 mpg over the period I had it (around 3 years/42,000 miles from around 39 mpg to 41 mpg). I'm a very sad person, I actually record this stuff.

As for my journey to work (not the only driving I do) it consists of about 5 miles of driving on more-or-less free flowing town roads and 7 miles of motorway, again usually free-flowing (between 55-70 mph), and it is not hilly. Even at constand speed, the MFD displays unimpressive mpg. As I say, it is the same driving (actually more-free flowing, as I've only had the Golf this summer) as I did in the Verso.

I'm not after your money but I do feel this isn't right :-)

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes I would agree, something not right, especially as you got to within a whisker of the official figs on your previous car.
    That rules out driving style and terrain/uneconomical speeds and conditions.

Mine isn't a plus, just a plain Bluemotion non SE and have a 6 mile uncongested drive on main roads and 2 miles on side roads but hilly. Combined official figs are 74mpg, and I'm getting 55mpg over a tankfull.
    If the journeys get any longer than about 12 miles on main roads, it zooms well into 60s and close to 70. The most economical it has been has been M25 and north circular stop start close to rush hour at around 70mpg.

Good luck

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Cornwallman, thanks for your reply. As a matter of interest, how many miles has your car done? I did take it up with VW, they couldn't find anything obviously wrong with the car (I think they ran the basic diagnostics rather than any specific tests for performance/economy) but they also repeated SC03OTT's advice that it will improve with increased mileage, but were a bit cagey about the expected size of improvement.

0 0 0

10. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's done 7000 miles.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast