Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_S View Post
    Radiccio,

Are you getting your figures from the trip computer or are they based on the old fashioned way of mileage divided by gallons put in the tank when filling to the brim?
    I'm relying on the trip computer. The last few months have been a lot of very short trips around London and I'm still very impressed at how quickly the average mpg figure rises.

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, I filled up today and here are the fiigures:-

Mileage = 588.7
    Litres = 52.01 (gallons = 11.44)

MPG = 51.46

The trip computer showed 50.3mpg as the average for this tankful.

So an improvement of 4.16mpg over the earlier tankful.

Fuel was from Tesco.

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    Up to 15,000 miles now and over the winter the economy seems to have come down to 50-53.
    Still same 8 mile open road drive to work plus some longer motorway driving at 80mph.

Nice car, but feel a bit unhappy as on 5 other VW TDis we have had (and on current Touran) we have always managed within 10% of the combined figure (ie should be able to manage mid 60s).

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Another fill up for me:-

586.0 miles
    54.33 litres 11.95 gallons

MFD2 = 50.1mpg
    Measured = 49.04mpg
    2010 Golf Plus 1.6TDi SE Bluemotion

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I took it in for its 10,000 mile service today, and mentioned the poor performance togther with a spreadsheet showing the mpg's from my tank fillups (all within the 46 to 51 range, averaging 48) - not that I'm obsessive about this, or anything . I am getting very very simlar figures to you, Bob_S.

They ran some test (the electronic tests) and confirmed that there weren't any reported problems, and that the software was up to date etc. Corrected the tyre pressures (it is a little while since I checked myself, to be honest, but when I did last check they were OK).

They did say that they would take a more in-depth look if the performance contnues to be poor, so let's see what happens.

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree Plusowner. The official figures are a long way from what I am achieving in real conditions. I don't expect to match them, but I expect to get within a reasonable distance of them. The only saving grace is that the Golf is much more economical than my old Meriva 1,7CDTi and I am getting very close to the 600 mile tank range in winter when the Meriva would only get 450-470.

I willwait and see how it does between now and the next service (at 17000 miles) and see if it does loosen up and get closer to the figures. With summer looming (in theory) it should improve.

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    An update!

The current tank I thought I had it nailed. Filled up on the 4th June and put about 310 miles on the clock over the next few weeks. Mixed running including a cross country journey of 150 miles return to visit my parents. MFD2 was showing 57.0mpg and the range was coming in at 720 miles! The wife has driven the last 180 miles for over a variety of journeys and getting in the car today I noticed MFD2 was now down to 52.6mpg and the range was down to 620 miles!!!

She has used aircon and swears she has been sticking to speed limits and not thrashing the car! But how has she trashed the economy of the first 310 miles in a mere 180 miles???

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Bob_S!

I always find the MFD predictions rather optimistic - after about half a tankful mine always overestimates how far it will go. So don't blame your wife too much

But ... is my engine actually "loosening up" as they would have it? I've noticed a definite improvement recently, and I am regularly getting (just) over 600 miles from a full tank, and getting full-to-empty mpg's of around 52 mpg. I don't think it's just down the the warm weather either - this time last year I was getting around 47 mpg (I know, I need to get out more). And it generally "feels" as if it's improving.

If so, it's good news - even if it has taken nearly 14,000 miles to do it - and I'm hopeful the trend will continue. It's still got a long way to go though ...

Cheers,
    plusowner

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plusowner View Post
    Hi Bob_S!

I always find the MFD predictions rather optimistic - after about half a tankful mine always overestimates how far it will go. So don't blame your wife too much
    You didn't see the MFD1 for the last 60 miles she did, it showed an average of 43.8!!!

Quote Originally Posted by plusowner
    But ... is my engine actually "loosening up" as they would have it? I've noticed a definite improvement recently, and I am regularly getting (just) over 600 miles from a full tank, and getting full-to-empty mpg's of around 52 mpg. I don't think it's just down the the warm weather either - this time last year I was getting around 47 mpg (I know, I need to get out more). And it generally "feels" as if it's improving.
    Mine has just passed the 12000 mile mark and I have had a number of tanks where I have got close to the magic 600. I thought I had cracked it good and proper with this latest tank. I must remember to remove the lead from the wife's shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by plusowner
    If so, it's good news - even if it has taken nearly 14,000 miles to do it - and I'm hopeful the trend will continue. It's still got a long way to go though ...

Cheers,
    plusowner

I hope it is the case, just needed some miles to loosen up. The Golf is using 14% less fuel than my old 1.7CDTi Meriva though, so it is an improvement in that respect.

0 0 0

10. Re: 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Fuel Economy 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK, the latest fill up, and the best return since I got the car

581.6 miles
    50.04 litres 11.01 gallons
    52.8mpg

MFD 2 was showing 52.6 for the tankful.

So it would have cracked the 600 mile tank easily, with 5 litres left in the tank and a consumption of 11.6 miles per litre, giving a potential to empty of 640 miles.

It is a long way from what some of the guys in the mk 6 Golf section are getting though. It must be the price paid for a less aerodynamic car which is also heavier than a mk 6.

0 0 0

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast