Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Swirl flaps - are they worth it?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Swirl flaps - are they worth it? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah I see... Look out for HPFP inlet metering valve sticking. Leads to car stalling at idle.. and fuel pressure warnings. Unfortunately I haven't managed to source the valve on it's own yet so that required the whole pump to fix it. I think frequent diesel filter changes and diesel treatment will help reduce the likelihood of this failure.

0 0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    And the consumption in my sig is the real thing showing all fill ups from day 1 I got my car four years ago.
    If yours is from the trip computer then it's +20% more the actual one. That's what I get anyway... when the trip computer shows 8 lit/100km then the real one after a fill up is 9.6 lit/100km.
    2006 Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 TDI Tiptronic

0 0 0

3. Re: Swirl flaps - are they worth it? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I check trip comp and actual.. It's almost perfect.. Like maybe 0.1 out.. That's about the only perfect thing on it... Although the motor is sweet now :-) fast as bejeezus. My current running total from Day 1 is 8.3 actual... and that included 4 months with an air duct full of leaves (it was doing 10 ltr/100 at that point) which Audi totally failed to spot during their exceptional full service history :-|

0 0 0

4. Re: Swirl flaps - are they worth it? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    My trip computer is very optimistic then! I don't do that much motorway driving really, it's like 60/40 town/motorway. Usually on a long run with a tank I get about 900-950kms, that's driving in EU with the good stuff! LOL
    2006 Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 TDI Tiptronic

0 0 0

5. Re: Swirl flaps - are they worth it? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wjam View Post
    dropping towards 8 now after remap... which i can highly recommend (superchips)
    WJAM
    Yeah - I looked at that but insurance went bananas! Plus 200quid a year and excess up to £800. Wiped out the fuel saving. If I could find somewhere sensible I'd love it...

0 0 0

6. Re: Swirl flaps - are they worth it? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    In connection with my posts on the other swirl flap page, my 3.0 tdi manual Allroad computer shows fuel consumption of 7.2 l/100k to 8.3 l/100k but checking it manually full tank to full tank it has never done better than 9.1 l/100k and as high as 9.4 l/100k, and that is driving normally below 100kmh mostly country with occasional town driving. I wonder what difference there would be if I paid 1905 Euros to Audi Poitiers to change the manifolds and if there was a saving, how many years I would have to drive it to pay off that cost?

Michael

0 0 0

7. Re: Swirl flaps - are they worth it? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You'd be driving for years to regain the cost.

I definitely get better than that mileage wise. About 8lt/100 average but I do spend 70% on autoroutes. Also superchips helped ;-) in every way.

I have just bought some ball end joints from RS and will fit them next week to my dodgy swirl flap motor. I am willing to put a small wager that it never throw a code again. After I get the linkage length right. Total cost.. 15 euros - but you need to do a bit of drilling and get the 5mm tap set out . I bought a used inlet flap manifold for 50 euros to play with. I can confirm there is nothing in there to cause a MIL. Only the linkage, the motor, or if the flaps did not make full movement due to coking,,, which is much cheaper to clean than replace. There are absolutely no sensors of any kind in there to tell the electronics whats going on. It all happens at the motor end or the linkage is worn.

I have made a temp fix with copper tape to take up the slack in the upper joint, but it still occasionally throws a MIL. about once a month. I can see from VCDS that i'm right on the edge of tolerance, so that's not a surprise.

cheers

WJAM

0 0 0

8. Re: Swirl flaps - are they worth it? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    by the way.. If there is no perceptible play in the linkage then it might be bent. That will give a similar problem because now the length is incorrect.

There are some hints on VCDS .. Depending on the duty cycle at the fault code gives an indication of the failure.. mechanical; electrical or whatever.

Oh and if you are interested the BMW drivers actually remove the flaps and throw them in the nearest poubelle :-) Althouhg to be fair their's were faliing off in the engine.. YIKES!

WJAM

0 0 0

9. Re: Swirl flaps - are they worth it? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Many many years! Its not worth it. The thing that drove me to get the work done was the MIL light - I just couldn't live with the thing on the whole time. Best thing would be to find someone who can reset the range limits on the VDO positioner for you...

0 0 0

10. Re: Swirl flaps - are they worth it? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    There is no play in the linkage and the shafts are definitely not bent, the cranks appear to travel their full range and there appears to be noticeable play in the bearings of the shafts that come out of the manifolds. I asked my local VW garage if they could reset the motor ranges but they said their equipment could not do it. Having the MIL light on gives me the willies but the other thing is, that if a different fault were to arrive which would have lit the MIL, I wouldn't know about it because it was on already.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast