1. 99 tdi no dash lights turns over wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi folks hope someone can help with this sudden problem. I have a 99 110 tdi, 109,000 miles never had a problem with the car. Pulled up in the driveway this evening and turned car off, Realised drivers window was down and turned key to switch ignition on and nothing, no dash lights at all. Turned on and off a couple of times but no ignition lights. Tried to start the car and it is turning over but will not start. Things that are working are radio. milometre, interior lights, headlights, remote locking and alarm. Any ideas what has caused this? any help much appreciated.

0 0 0

2. Re: 99 tdi no dash lights turns over wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Check fuses but it's probably terminal 30 relay in engine bay. Give it a push and wiggle plus gentle tap. You may have to replace it to be sure. That's if I'm right. Good luck

0 0 0

3. Re: 99 tdi no dash lights turns over wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that, fuses are ok. Is this relay beside the ECU? If so there is none marked 121 or 30. There is a black relay marked 219 or am i looking in the wrong place.

0 0 0

4. Re: 99 tdi no dash lights turns over wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I can't remember the number on it, but that one is in the right place.
    Try push, pull, wiggle, bash and see what happens.

0 0 0

5. Re: 99 tdi no dash lights turns over wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Martin, I swapped the 3 relays, one by one, next to the ECU from sons passat ( same year ) but no joy. Still no dash lights but if i try to start it will crank strongly but does not appear to be getting any fuel, makes no attempt to start. Anyone experienced this or have any idea what the problem is. Only option left to me is vw call out which i am reluctant to do. As i said all other electrics except for windows seem to be working.

0 0 0

6. Re: 99 tdi no dash lights turns over wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Squirt some easy start into the intake from air filter. If it starts you know the problem is lack of fuel. If that's the case you look at the fuel pump.

0 0 0

7. Re: 99 tdi no dash lights turns over wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Problem eventually solved, turned out to be the GLOW PLUG RELAY 202 under the dash. After advice about giving the relays a shake i did this with those in the engine bay next to ecu first then moved on to the relays under the dash below the steering wheel. I could just reach them by removing the fuse panel cover (small hands) without having to remove the trim. The nearest one is a blue relay 202 gave this a judder switched on ignition and dash lights on and car started first turn. I pulled the relay almost out and pushed back in again and car is starting fine now. Think i will need to remove the lower trim to replace it as it is difficult to see the pin connectors. I am assuming that this relay has been replaced previously as it is an audi part with audi part number, or maybe they are all the same anyway i have ordered a new one from vw.
    Had no idea a glow plug relay would have this effect but i have learned something and hopefully this will help anyone with the same problem.

0 0 0

8. Re: 99 tdi no dash lights turns over wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I can't see how a glow plug relay fault can do that. Strange fault. It was 202 in position 4, bottom row counting from the left, I assume.

0 0 0

9. Re: 99 tdi no dash lights turns over wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes Martin, furthest on that row to the right. There is a strip running below the relays identifying them, definitely under this blue one, 202, is glow plugs.

0 0 0

10. Re: 99 tdi no dash lights turns over wont start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Have the same problem exactly. Checked relay 202 after prizing the cap off and can't find a problem with the internals. I also checked 219 and can also find no problem so have assumed that it is a problem with the ignition barrel unless someone can think of anything else.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast