1. Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a problem with a Passat 2.0 TDI Sport (55 plate) which I purchased 4 weeks ago from a dealer. The main problem started within 24 hrs of purchasing the car. It has started to display the dreaded “Steering Lock See Workshop” in the driver information system on the dash and the Steering Wheel warning light illuminates in either Red or Orange. Recently this problem had been getting worse and sometimes the car will not start and the yellow coil light appears and flashes then a warning "engine fault" also appears in the driver information screen. When this happens the car can take up to 4 or 5 attempts to start.

I have done some investigating on this problem and found it is quite common on early B6 Passats. The problem seems to be the motor in the steering lock winds just short of fully depressing the micro switch that sends the signal to the system confirming the lock has been disengaged, if switch is not fully depressed then no signal so vehicle will not start and simply trying dozens of times tends to do the trick because eventually the motor winds on far enough to activate the switch.
    To repair this problem the steering column and convenience control module has to be replaced. (Both coincide with each other and cannot be fitted separately) as the keys, abs etc have to be re-programmed. No independent garage at the moment can fix it so it’s a main VW service centre only repair.

Anyway, I have been speaking to the dealer who I purchased the car off and faxed over the diagnostic report that has been done showing the faults. His conclusion is for me to drive 130 miles (5 hr round trip) back to Dewsbury (I live in B-ham) so he can get his garage to repair the problem. I have told him that it’s a VW only fix but he seems not to take any notice of that.

My concerns are:
    1. The dealer will only try to clear the faults and not repair the problem and the fault re-appearing later – could this be done without me knowing?
    2. The dealer gets a steering column and Con unit from a car that has been in an accident and replaces the faulty one with this. (As you would expect, I would not be happy to have a steering column from a car that’s been in an accident).
    3. I waste my time by driving all that distance, them having the car for weeks, only to find the car has to be sent in to a VW garage after all, Which could have been done locally to me)
    You may think I don’t have any confidence regarding the dealer but I’m sure the car was sold to me with them knowing about these faults. So no, I don’t have any confidence that the problem will be sorted correctly and either the car will be dangerous to drive after a bodged up repair by them or I’m going to be left without a car for weeks while it sits in their garage while they find a way of getting it done on the cheap.
    Please, any input and suggestions regarding this would be appreciated
    Mark

0 0 0

2. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Go to a VW dealer, ask them if your non-VW dealer can fix it. If they confirm 'no', then ask them to speak to your dealer with a view to them (VW) fixing it.

Using a vital part from a wreck sounds criminal to me.

If you reported the fault after 24 hours I would think you are entitled to your money back (not fit for purpose).
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

3. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Having suffered from this particular fault on my 55-plate Passat, I would agree with Quatrelle and go to your local VW dealer for advice.

I'm 99.99999% sure it's a main-dealer fix only as the control module need replacing and I'm pretty sure new keys need programming too. If the car has covered less than 60,000 miles, it should be covered by VW without charge. Between 60,000 and 100,000, VW will make a goodwill payment if you push them hard enough (even though this fault should be part of a recall but that's another story!).

-Mikee-

0 0 0

4. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatrelle View Post
    If you reported the fault after 24 hours I would think you are entitled to your money back (not fit for purpose).
    Useful stuff on rejecting cars at www.honestjohn.co.uk
    Passat Estate GT 16 190/295 DSG Sand Gold/Espresso, Premium LEDs, Area View, DA Pack Plus, Park Assist, XDS, Boot divider, Olive Ash.
    TDI history, all saloons: CC 59 140/236 GT, Passat 06 140/236 Sport, A6 SE 2000 110/173, A4 SE 1995 90/149, 80 1992 90/134, plus SWMBO's 2000 A3 SE 90/155 hatch.
    1979 Alfasud 4 door 1.5 in Verde Pino. 105 bhp Green Cloverleaf engine .

0 0 0

5. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the same problem which i havent solved but why you have to have a new column i dont know perhaps its so they can charge more as the lock is only bolted to the column with security bolts mine is a 2006 passat has anyone found any usefull info or can anyone give me some help please as the car is stuck on the drive now and im using my bike vorprung dork teknik i think is over complicated technology vw used to go on and on but not so much these days without costing a fortune it seems sorry to moan from a very dissapointed passat owner .Thanks Andy

0 0 0

6. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    You can fit all the parts your self but it will still have to be taken to a dealer to be programmed. No one else can do this at the moment.

0 0 0

7. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Martin i took the steering lock apart and suspected the 2 pressure switches in there i UN soldered them and checked them but they were OK so i re soldered them in and noticed the pins from the connector block were not soldered in so i soldered these in and am going to try this wish me luck i think i definitely need it or a lottery win.Thanks Andy

0 0 0

8. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Good luck. I would always recommend a DIY approach if you are up for it. By trying to repair yours, you are not having to fit new parts, so no recoding is required.

0 0 0

9. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Martin i think ive found the problem the pressure switch is not being pushed enough to activate it when the steering lock is unlocked so the ignition lights etc arent coming on it works with a little push so either needs a bit of packing to take up some wear or some repositioning of the printed circuit to activate it,Ill let you know but im confident its this that is the problem.Thanks Andy

0 0 0

10. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    DSG4ME Guest
    Shame VW can't devote some time to fixing this instead of hammering ppl £1000 a time for a shody designed, shody produced part, that they should replace FOC regardless up to 7 years old and 150k

Appollogies if I've not understood it's function in the car fully, but as far as I'm aware this thing that fails is there mainly as part of the anti theft gear?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast