1. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you mike its great to share your ideas ill bear that in mind if there is another time hopefully there wont be but it would definitely save others from un soldering them to clean them if as you say its a good cleaner.Thanks Andy

0 0 0

2. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Andy
    Mant thanks for pointing me in the right direction, going away for a couple of weeks then i will give it try and post my results.
    Cheers

0 0 0

3. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    mel@tinystaxis. Guest
    GOOD NEWS Volkswagen have finally brought out a much cheaper fix for this faulty unit “JUST like I have been saying they should” (well it’s better than nearly a Grand anyway) Part number 3C0 905 861 H, this is a new Steering lock unit, you will also need some new bolts, the unit cost £52.23 plus vat plus the bolts and about 2 hours labour so the whole job should now cost less than £350 including vat at a Main dealer or if you decide to do it yourself or take it elsewhere it will still have to visit a main agent after to have the new lock coded to the vehicle but you can leave the old lock plugged into the system to avoid having to have it towed there.
    BUT I RECON if you have good service history and not mega high mileage it should be still be worth while challenging Volkswagen Customer Services as they may be more willing to assist now they have a much cheaper fix.

Wishing everybody the best of Luck, Melvyn.
    Last edited by mel@tinystaxis.; 13-12-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: COST KEEPS GOING UP

4 0 0

4. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    DSG4ME Guest
    It's a step in the right direction, now if they would reduce the injectors as well, I could confidently own the car for longer than I plan to.

1 0 0

5. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DSG4ME View Post
    It's a step in the right direction, now if they would reduce the injectors as well, I could confidently own the car for longer than I plan to.
    X2

0 0 0

6. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok got a chance to have a look today, found the removal of the steering colum pretty easy following Andy's instructions, sprayed the limit switches with cleaner and also added a 1mm piece of plastic to the "ignition on" switch activator just incase it was not pushing the switch fully in and reasembled, when i inserted the to my horror there was a clicking noise and no dash lights, to cut a very long story there is a anti tamper on the steering lock which had locked the seetering lock on, once i removed it all ok, hope this makes sence just opened my second bottle of wine, if anyone wants anything explaining in more detail just ask.
    PJ

0 0 0

7. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andy good View Post
    Thank you mike its great to share your ideas ill bear that in mind if there is another time hopefully there wont be but it would definitely save others from un soldering them to clean them if as you say its a good cleaner.Thanks Andy
    If I fitted and new steering column Lock unit myself (Which is now available to purchase, as pointed out by mal@tinystaxis) could I recode the Lock unit to the vehicle using my ross-tech diagnostic software? or is it a special piece of kit which only VW dealers have?

0 0 0

8. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    mel@tinystaxis. Guest
    Hi Mark,
    I also started a thread on this a while back and posted quite a lot on other Forums anyway I think my last post copied below gives you all the answers you need.

Best regards mel@tinystaxis.co.uk

GOOD NEWS Volkswagen have finally brought out a much cheaper fix for this faulty unit“JUST like I have been saying they should” Part number 3C0 905 861 H, this is a new lock unit, you will also need some new bolts, the unit cost £52.13 plus vat plus bolts and about 2 hours labour so the whole job should now cost less than £350 including vat at a Main dealer or should you do it yourself or take it elsewhere it will still have to visit a main agent after to have the new lock coded to the vehicle but you can leave the old lock plugged into the system to avoid having to have it towed there.

BUT I RECON if you have good service history and not mega high mileage it should be still be worth while challenging Volkswagen Customer Services as they may be more willing to assist now they have a much cheaper fix.

Ps Don't worry about the use of second-hand parts because as far as I know you CANNOT reprogram used units to another vehicle PLUS vehicle will still have to go to a Main Dealer to have the new lock reprogrammed (NOW NO NEED FOR NEW COLUMN OR CONVEINCE UNIT JUST THE NEW STEERING LOCK WHICH MUST BE REPROGRAMED BY A VW MAIN DEALER)

Wishing everybody the best of Luck, Melvyn
    Last edited by mel@tinystaxis.; 04-11-2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Cost to to the fix creeping up.

0 0 0

9. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi for everyone!went to vw garage with steerring column problem,told them a story about that problem and what they told me was that if i have full vw service history then they replace locking mechanism for free otherwise it would cost me 340.

0 0 0

10. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Wow - a result!

Good for you.
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast