1. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Andy. Can you see any distinguishing marks or numbers on the switch. If we could find a way of sourcing a replacement switch it would be handy. You are the first person to confirm the rumour that the switch cases the problem. Well done man.

0 0 0

2. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Martin sorry for the delay I didnt want to jump the gun like last time, I realised that the switch was partly working because it stopped the motor when it reached the switch and broke the connection like it should the problem was it didnt make the other connection properly like it should thats why it worked when i pushed it,sorry if im going on a bit but just trying to help people understand ,the 2 switches are the same basically one for when the lock opens and one for when it closes, they have 3 soldered legs on them that join to the printed circuit board as far as i can make out one has a live feed to it and when the switch is pushed or released it alternates the live feed to terminal 2 or 3 so only one is alive at a time so what im thinking when the motor runs to operate the lock it hits the switch and stops the motor and then passes the current to the other terminal which activates the ignition lights etc on the dash board .The problem being i think and im no electronics expert is that the contacts over time burn and dont make a clean contact hence new switches needed.This is the problem because MARQUARDT make the steering lock and sell switches but not the exact ones they fit in the locks these are special I dont think they are allowed to sell them but NEXUSCOMPONENTS supply themso ill try that avenue anyway the switches are type 1055/58 and they also have T36 marked on them which arent in there catalog but im sure they have very similar ones that will do.Anyway i soaked the switches in petrol for a while which ruined the silicone dust cover on them but i dont think that matters then re soldered them in and everythings working a ok. now i still want new switches but will leave them on standby until it goes wrong again hopefully never.Hope this helps stop people getting hit with a massive bill .If anybody wants any more help If I can i will give it bearing in mind im not an expert.All the best from a displeased vw owner

2 0 0

3. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My thoughts are with you on that one at least **** turpin wore a mask yes it is an anti theft device but it seems its not needed for part of its life as it wont start anyway.Not only that robbers want a reliable get away car so they wont bother with a vw anyway.

0 0 0

4. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Does anything here look familiar ?
    http://shop.conrad-uk.com/components...microswitches/

Martin

0 0 0

5. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    so in laymans terms, are you saying that it's the solders to the PCB that wear away under the switch? If you get a chance some photos would be excellent, and for those of us who arent expert in electronics, if we had enough information then a good auto-electrician should be able to help us out for far less than what VW want!

Great work andy, this looks really helpful.
    A3 8V S-Line Cabriolet 2.0 TDI
    -------------------------------------------
    Passat B6 FSI • Passat TDI 105 • BMW E90 318d • BMW F30 320d Lux

0 0 0

6. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No sorry if ive misled you you its not the solder its the contacts inside the switches that burn over time and make a bad connection they are very tiny and i dont think you can take them apart thats why i soaked them in petrol to try and clean the contacts before i re soldered them in which has worked on my car.as i said i will be trying to get new switches to replace them if and when it starts playing up again but this confirm it to me that it is the switches hope this helps as for photos sorry its all back together now.

0 0 0

7. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes very similar look the same as switch 7031528A and 7031538A almost identical looking but the plastic locating pins on the front need to be on the back and the wire legs that you solder onto the board look like the ones on 7022708Abut im wondering as to weather 1065 series switches would do as they have the locators on both sideshope this helps if so less than £10 for two switches = lots of saving. all the best Andy

0 0 0

8. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Any tips on what bit to take out and how to access the switches, i have the cowl off and can see a black boxunder the colum but i cant get it off.

0 0 0

9. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont know what box you are talking about if its the one up by the steering wheel its not the one. Ill run through the process from the beginning, unlock the steering wheel turn it to the left and right untill you see the two screws holding the plastic cover on undo these and the one underneath,you should be able to prise the top and bottom apart and take them off turn the steering untill the wheel is in the straight ahead position then take the key out,then down the bottom of the column next to the clutch pedal the plastic cover has to come off two plastic screws i think then the plastic foot rest pushes up and off this gives access to the steering column connection clamp right at the very bottom you have to undo this bolt then disconnect the two wire connector blocks that go just below the steering wheel pull out the red part then push up the black part and they should pull out the wiring should come down away from the column undo the little earth lead brown wire connected to the column with a small nut then you can undo the four bolts connecting the column to the car then carefully either take the plastic trunking off the column that holds the wires by levering out the clips from the rear and pulling it down or unclipping it to seperate it then take the connector out of the steering lock again by pulling on the red clip then pushing the black bit in then removing it the steering column should now come out.Now you have to undo the security bolts that hold the steering lock onto the column by tapping them round with a chissel or screwdriver and hammer ,I hacksawed a slot in mine when i got them off to re use them or you can buy new bolts if you like,at the end of this box there is a metal slide and spring watch this when you take the plastic cover off as you can lose it easily , though i didnt re use it you can if you like it activates if a thief takes the cover off the steering lock so you still cant drive it .once the covers off its the two switches that have green on them, i un soldered these soaked them in petrol and agitated them then put it all back and mine has been perfect so far, Perhaps you could use something else to clean them like a spray perhaps but the petrol perished the green silicon which allowed the petrol in better i think so maybe cut this off if your using a cleaner i didnt want to get the circuit board wet thats the only reason i un soldered the switches first.Hope this helps it sounds a really big job but you could do it in a day easily its really not that bad ,this is from memory so i might have gone wrong a bit but i hope not too much.All the best if you need a Andy

1 0 0

10. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Andy

Very well done finding the source of this problem and fixing it. A man after my own heart!

Petrol may have worked for you as a cleaner, but I think it would be wiser to use a proper electrical contact cleaner, which isn't flammable, doesn't leave any deposits, and doesn't attack plastics and rubber. The one I use is made by Servisol, but there are other makes which probably work just as well. They generally come in spray cans with extension tubes, and they're cheap to buy. I got mine from Maplin Electronics.

Mike

0 0 0

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast