1. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    That is very comprehensive, thank you. I am sure this will be referenced time and time again - possibly go into the How To section also? One for the moderators.

Write up would have been off the scale with some photos but I appreciate the time and effort involved in just doing the job, let alone writing it up for others. Top job.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

2. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks! I wish I had taken the photos, but I was so concentrated on having the work done that I forgot! :P I did take a few photos but they don't include each step, but I'll try to include them here.

0 0 0

3. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    5. At this point you want to DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY TERMINAL as you will now start removing plugs, there are three plugs attached to the steering column. There are two at the front and one at the back attached to the steering lock, there is a small red tab on each plug that you pull out to unlock the plug and detach it. The back plug is a bit more challenging as it far behind in a tight space, open the storage compartment on the left side (on LHD vehicles) push the plastic stopper up so you can pull the door all the way down and pull outwards to remove it for easier access to the plug. There is also an 8 mm ground nut you have to remove to remove the ground wire from it.

Attachment 36634Attachment 36635Attachment 36636Attachment 36637Attachment 36638Attachment 36639

6. You must release the wire harness from the steering column to be able to remove it. You will notice that the harness goes through a plastic housing on the bottom half of the column and a clip on the upper half. To remove the housing there are two plastic tabs on the bottom side, push them in and pull the housing off of the column. Pull the clip on the upper half of the column. At this point we are ready to remove the column itself.

Attachment 36640Attachment 36641

7. There are five 13 mm bolts you have to remove, one is on the universal joint at the bottom and four are holding the column itself, I kept it safe and I made a line with a thin marker on the universal joint and where it is connected to so that later you can align it exactly as it was. Unscrew the two bottom bolts holding the column, you will see that both those screws also holds a metal bar on each side, remove them. Pull the universal joint upward to detach it, if you are not able to remove it at this point leave it there for now. Now, I recommend pulling the driver's seat forward at this point, remove the two upper bolts carefully, I recommend loosening them first so you can unscrew them by hand so you can hold the steering wheel while unscrewing them so it won't fall on you suddenly. The reason I said to pull the seat forward is so you can now rest the steering wheel/column on your seat once it is free. If you were not able to remove the U joint before you can do it now that the wheel is resting on the seat.

Attachment 36642Attachment 36643Attachment 36644Attachment 36645

8. Finally you can pull the whole thing out of the car. Put the column on a soft surface in order to not scratch/damage the steering wheel. You will find the steering lock at the bottom, held with two security screws. I used a dremel to cut a slot on each screw to be easy to remove and also you can reuse the screws again.

9. Finally you have the thing that brought all that trouble in your hands. A word of caution, be very careful and delicate when opening it, don't shove anything in there carelessly because if you damage the PCB inside you will need a brand new lock and have it reprogrammed to your car, it is part of the immobiliser system and if it is damaged you won't be able to start your car. The lock's plastic cover has melted plastic "revets" on the bottom side, break them, there is a small tab on each side on the screw side, push them in while CAREFULLY prying the cover out, you will notice a snap noise, don't worry it is just the anti-tamper spring locking the lock pin out. After the housing is removed first thing you do, on the side where it was screwed to the column there is a black plastic piece and a spring that slides back and forth, that is part of the anti-tamper device, REMOVE THEM COMPLETELY and don't put them back. If you don't the lock won't work, you don't want to find out that steering won't unlock and the car won't start after putting it all back together. Again, REMOVE THE ANTI-TAMPER device.

Attachment 36646Attachment 36647

10. After having the thing open, you will see that the PCB is held in with three small torx screws, remove them, then pull the PCB out by wiggling gently while pulling out, there are two blades that connect from the PCB to the motor that's why there is some resistance while pulling it out. after you have the PCB in your hands, unsolder the two micro switches and replace with new ones.

Attachment 36648Attachment 36649

11. From here on you just have to reverse the entire process. After putting the plastic cover back, melt the plastic pins on the back again to keep it secure, in my case just to make sure it won't pop open again on its own I put a drop of superglue on each rivet. Don't forget to put the spring that pushes the locking pin out. After reassembly make sure the locking pin springs freely in and out before putting it back on the column.

I hope I didn't leave anything out. Feel free to make any questions. If you have VCDS or OBDeleven you can clear the faults, there will be at least one on the engine module because of the immobiliser cutoff and another on the steering module because of the implausible signals from the lock.

Good luck!

There's a very good video about the steering lock and the problem itself and how the anti-tamper device works on youtube from LM Auto Repair's channel check it out!:

<font color="#1A1B1C">
    Last edited by t0nito; 12-02-2020 at 09:56 PM.

0 0 0

4. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Added photos as stupid me had to redo everything because I forgot to put back the 3 torx screws on the PCB and I coudn't rest until I made it right, so I thought might as well take some photos to help someone out in the future.

0 0 0

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213