1. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for your reply. I managed to remove the trim. Is there any wiring that I have to disconnect before removing four bolts?

0 0 0

2. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Remove the wiring that is too short and not allowing the rack to be brought lower. Make sure battery is disconnected and air bag yellow wire.

0 0 0

3. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi I know this is an old thread but I think it is still relative to my problem, It seems the Passat B7 also suffers from this problem, I have a 2011 Passat and the first symptoms I noticed is when I put the key in the ignition position sometimes there is a few seconds delay until the lights show up on the dashboard. Today I got the steering lock defective message and warning sounds, I turned the ignition off and on and it started right up. Sometimes it works flawlessly. So I'm sure the switches are going bad.

I've seen a few videos about how to remove the steering lock, and how you should disable the tampering mechanism when removing the plastic housing. I even saw a video where the guy opens the microswitch and cleans the insides. I've got all that covered. What I can't find for the life of me is pictures of the removal of the steering column.

I read Andy's instructions about removing the column but without pictures it's harder to follow. Could someone please kindly post pictures and step-by-step guides for the removal? Also are all the screws torx, allen, or hex? Are there any triple square screws involved?

I would really like to do this myself and save some money. I'm electronically inclined and I feel confident in repairing the lock itself, I'm more concerned about removing the column to reach it. Thanks.
    Last edited by t0nito; 17-09-2019 at 12:22 AM.

0 0 0

4. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    This forum is really dead isn't it?

0 0 0

5. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t0nito View Post
    This forum is really dead isn't it?
    Depends, perhaps the people that have repaired the steering column and ignition mechanisms in the past are presently on holiday...in Portugal perhaps? Patience is a virtue and all that mallarchy.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

6. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Mine has come up with the same problem ��*♂️ damn and blast these wretched cars!!!!

0 0 0

7. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabz1310 View Post
    Mine has come up with the same problem ��*♂️ damn and blast these wretched cars!!!!
    What model year is your Passat? Mine's a 2011 B7 I've searched everywhere and I've never heard of anyone with a B7 with this issue apart from mine, on B6's

0 0 0

8. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    What model year is your Passat? Mine's a 2011 B7 I've searched everywhere and I've never heard of anyone with a B7 with this issue apart from mine, on B6's
    Mines 2007 buddy and yes even tho I've DIY it myself it still comes up with the fault when i take the key out but I'm not bothered lol it drives 😂 that's good for me

0 0 0

9. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Also it's a b6 bud

0 0 0

10. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I fixed it today, ordered a pair of micro switches. Took me about 3 hours total to do the job start to finish. I'm guessing it's exactly the same procedure as the B6 but here are the steps just in case anyone else needs the info for the B7's, I'll try to be as detailed as possible.

1. Pull the lever under the column and adjust it pulling toward you and pushing it down. Turn the wheel 90º to one side, on the seam between the top and bottom half of the steering cowl insert a thin flat blade tool and twist to release the clip holding the halves together. Turn the wheel the opposite way and do the same procedure, you will find a torx screw securing the bottom half on each side, remove them. Under the cowl you will find another torx screw remove that one too. On the adjuster handle you will find another bigger torx screw securing the handle, remove that too. After that lift the top half of the cowl toward the gauges you will see it is hinged to the bottom half, pull it out a bit to come free from the bottom half and fold it up toward the gauges to keep it out of the way. The bottom half should be able to come out now.

IMG_20200208_134621.jpgIMG_20200208_134735.jpgIMG_20200208_134746.jpgIMG_20200208_135033.jpgIMG_20200208_135322.jpgIMG_20200208_135357.jpg

2. Remove the bottom plastic cover behind the pedals to gain access to the universal joint by removing the two plastic flat blade screws, you will find that the right one will be easier to remove if you press the gas pedal to keep out of the way.

IMG_20200208_135951.jpgIMG_20200208_140105.jpg

3. Unscrew the three torx screws holding the plastic panel below the steering column, (the plastic cover where the OBD plug is attached to) it has a clip right next to the middle screw holding it up, pull it down to release, you don't have to remove it completly just let it drop on top of the pedals.

IMG_20200208_140526.jpgIMG_20200208_140531.jpgIMG_20200208_140645.jpg

4. Remove the ventilation duct by removing one torx screw on the left and pull it to the left to remove it. (on LHD vehicles)

IMG_20200208_140823.jpgIMG_20200208_140858.jpg

READ NEXT POST TO CONTINUE
    Attached Images
    Last edited by t0nito; 12-02-2020 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Additional photos

0 0 0

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast