Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the metal bit i showed in picture is actualy from the first plastic cover you remove under the steering. dont know how come i end up that bit with black box parts. i think i was a bit stressed. much relax now. car us starting like my old b5. let see how it goes.

0 0 0

2. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    forgot to mention that maplin contact cleaner does not damage the green plastic of switch.i teared it listtle bit with my nail and sprayed the contact cleaner inside.

0 0 0

3. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glad you have sorted the problem i didnt find where to buy the switch mardquart make them but wont sell them to anyone, only to vw themselves, though mine are still ok so haven't bothered with them since, all the best Andy.

0 0 0

4. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd just like to add my thanks here. We bought a 2006 Passat at the weekend and at first thought the hit-and-miss ignition was just us being stupid. We've not had a car with this kind of fob to start before. By Monday we'd decided it was a problem though and the first Google results talked of new steering columns at about £1k. Not what we wanted !

Then I found this thread. Pulled the car apart yesterday. I didn't have any contact cleaner so just did the extra bit of plastic mod on the basis that now ive taken the security bolts out i can get the lock out quite easily if I need to. It took me two hours including a test drive afterwards and appears to have worked . Only slight concern was that the steering lock & traction control lights were on after I'd put it all back together. Fortunately they went off within a few hundred yards when I test drove the car and all seems well.

So thank you ! Saved me a lot of money and got me serious brownie points with the wife as its her car !

0 0 0

5. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    @andy good @martin1810
    I also had the steering lock problem.
    I followed your tutorials and it worked for me

A very big THANK YOU for figuring this out, it saved me a lot of time and money.

Best regards from cologne / germany

Martin

0 0 0

6. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    This is another thread that's over four years old. In case the Steering Lock problem happened to me I put together some notes in a handy .doc. PM me an e-mail address and I can send it to you by return attach. Or about £350 from dealer, £70 for the bits
    **SOLD** '06 B6 Passat 2L tFSI SEL 3c5, 232 bhp, Geba metal water pump, GlowShift boost & oil pressure gauges, paddles, powder-coated black Chicago rims yellow calipers, JVC KW NX7000/E sat nav DAB BT Ripspeed sub reverse cam, hi-line MFD, MFSW, Skyline tails, Laminex fogs, LEDs, indicator DRLs, Philips X-tremeVision heads, PowerFlow chrome exhaust, tints to rear, vanity VRM, TPMS, power-fold dimming mirrors, brolly

0 0 0

7. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    we can repair all Passat steering lock issues and get your car sorted ,we are based in Bradford west Yorkshire

0 0 0

8. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just beginning the adventure of investigating the steering problem and came across this post but the pictures are not visible - any chance of reposting them?

0 0 0

9. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My Passat 2007 starts to have this problem and I’m trying to see if I can repair it instead of going to dealer. I tried turning the wheel left at 90 degrees but I can’t seem to locate the screws to remove the plastic covers.. not sure if I miss anything. Do I have to remove the steering column? I am trying to see what’s the minimum to remove the steering lock PCB so I can replace the micro-switches. Thanks.

0 0 0

10. Re: Steering Lock See Workshop and dealer problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Minimum removal is plastic that's behind the steering stalks, trim that is around the steering and the four bolts that hold the steering in place. Then you'll have to cut the top half of the main trim that goes around the steering wheel or you can remove the column by removing the steering wheel and then detach the rack from the bolt that hold it at the bottom. The micro switch is positioned at the top of the column, what you are trying to do is lower the steering rack to get to it. The micro switch has two security bolts that require a dremel to cut it so you can use a flat head screwdriver.

0 1 0

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast