Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

I have a 51 plate A4 130 tdi the problem is intermitent binding brakes, its always the N/S/F and the O/S/R that are the problem. If you strip the calipers they are nice and free and after having them to bits the problem usually goes away for a while. I am starting to think it may be the dreaded master cylinder/ servo problem but before i put my money in audis till i was wondering if anyone has had the same probems ?? any help would be excellent.

0 0 0

2. Re: Binding brakes ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Sounds like a corroded servo to me, when I have seen this it is always the left front that binds first.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Binding brakes ?? 
    tony-1977 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Sounds like a corroded servo to me, when I have seen this it is always the left front that binds first.
    I agree with this one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure the brake circuits are still diagonal, hence the ones you have binding...

0 0 0

4. Re: Binding brakes ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes your correct on that one there are two pipes comming out of the master cylinder then it is split diagonal at the abs unit. I think i will get on the phone to audi tomorrow and price both the servo and the master cylinder . Thanks for all your help guys !!

0 0 0

5. Re: Binding brakes ?? 
    tony-1977 Guest
    Try Euro Car Parts first. They will be cheaper and equal quality

0 0 0

6. Re: Binding brakes ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what are the symptoms of your problem.
    i did have something very similar happen to me a while back and it seems to have gone away all of it's own.
    however i do think that the front wheels seem to be hotter then they probably should, however no brake smell.
    when i had the problem i could feel as if the brakes were very gently applied all them time, and the next day had serious vibrations once i hit 60mph.

0 0 0

7. Re: Binding brakes ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This binding brake is an intermittent problem. It may not necessarily be the master cylinder but could be the servo. However how would a servo get damaged?

When you start your engine after a long stop, the brake works fine, then after 15 mins or so, brakes start to bind and seem as if brakes were very gently applied. In serious cases, it seems they are applied harder and car has difficulty to pull away.

When you have very serious vibrations is when you have driven the car, the pads have heaten up together with the brake disc, or your disc may have become slightly warped with the heat.

Let me know if you sort out the problem by changing the servo, as I changed the master cylinder and it was fine for 2 weeks but had the same problem coming over again.
    A4 1.9TDI 130Bhp 2001

0 0 0

8. Re: Binding brakes ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The can servo suffer from internal corrosion; it is a very much discussed problem on here. Water gets into the servo when it is sitting in a bath of water caused by blocked plenum chamber drain, also a much discussed topic. The seal between the two halves of the servo is not perfect and as the servo is under a vacuum, it slowly draws in water, which causes the internals of the servo to corrode.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

9. Re: Binding brakes ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can say that since i commented on the problem happening, it hasn't come back agaain.
    Apart from yesterday after driving about 5 miles at the end of the day.
    i reached my destination parked up and switch off engine, 2 hours later drove away problem didn't happen.

It's the strangest thing!
    Very very intermitant, nobody can find a problem that has had a look at it, especially as the problem doesn't rear it's head when taking it to a garage!

I wait for someone to come up with a definitave answer.

0 0 0

10. Re: Binding brakes ?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Definitive answer…how do you think that is going to appear then?

It will be the servo but they only way to find out for sure is to remove the master cylinder and see if it looks like this,

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast