1. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Driving for a few weeks and braking harder rings true if the pads aren't bedded in, but a non-bedded in pad doesn't rattle. Or rather rattling isn't a sign of non-bedded-in pad.

Check the calliper spring

Cheap pads rattle too, do you know what brand they fitted?

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

2. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Non genuine pads rattle quite a bit but genuine audi pads seem to be a better fit so dont rattle as much.
    Audi A4 saloon, 2.0L tdi s-line. Retrofitted cruise control, DIS and MFSW. VCDS user.

0 0 0

3. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    ally0000 Guest
    the clips seem OK, I took that garages advice and went out this weekend and spent time essentially doing emergency stops, to be honest the noise seems to be getting better but I can't imagine this is a suitable fix, my wife wouldn't be doing this if it was her car.

Will keep going this week with more hard braking.

Does this all sound OK to have the garage tell me to do this, is there not something they could have done?

Thanks
    Ally

0 0 0

4. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have exactly the same rattle and symptoms with my A4. This is due to one of the 4 arms on the back of the pads, which go into the piston being missing (broke off).

So I am going to have to replace the pads (practically un-worn) and this time replace the discs.

I am struugling getting discs which incorporate the grub screw that the originals have. Any Ideas where to look?

0 0 0

5. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    iv had rattles b4 but only from non gen chepos
    take it back to the garage that fitted them again and demand they sort it
    unless you agreed to non gen pads
    theres no garage that i know that would say brake hard to wear them in and stop rattles

0 0 0

6. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    ally0000 Guest
    Hi all.

Yup, I think it's time to call the garage again and see what they can so, it's so embarressing driving around with that rattle.

Smallholdertoo - no idea where to get those, sorry.

Thanks very much for all the replies, very useful.

Ally

0 0 0

7. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    ally0000 Guest
    Got the car booked in for next Wednesday, they said they will order new spring clips from Audi, will keep this updated after I get the car back.

Cheers

0 0 0

8. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    ally0000 Guest
    Hi All,

So the garage took the car back in and replaced the spring clips and that made no difference. They then put some shims behind the pads and their mechanic said the car was fine now, so I picked it up and drove 20 yardds and the rattle was still there. I took it right back and took the garage owner out and he heard it first hand. He said he would call me to determine the nest step, that was last Thursday.

He just called me today (Monday) and he said he found out that there are 3 different kinds of pads for the A4 and they are all very similar in size, he's going to order all 3 types and take the car back in on Thursday.

Time will tell....can't say I'm optimistic.

Cheers,
    Ally

0 0 0

9. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    ally0000 Guest
    Hi,

The car is back in today (Saturday 10th July) and they have the 3 kinds of pads in stock to try. I have already paid £93 for the fitting of the original pads. When I picjed the car up the last time it was meant to be fixed the guy said he would only charge me for the parts, which is going to include the Audi springs which didn't help this issue.

I am wondering what is fair to be charged for this repair? I feel that being charged for the pads and one set of fitting is OK but to pay for the spring clips and shims would be unfair as they were not the problem. Surely the garage would use my cars reg number to determine the type of pad and if the wrong ones are delivered then that is not my fault. The clips and shims were the garages idea and if that didn't work and more pads were ordered then I feel to pay for pads and fitting only is the only real fair option....what do you guys think?

Cheers,
    Ally

0 0 0

10. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd pay for the original job. If there are 3 different sizes of pad then all the problems stem from their inability to order the correct ones (that's why you pay a "professional" to do a job). All work/parts involved through the fault finding process should be met by them. As it's their mistake, not yours.
    Get educated or get ripped off!

0 0 0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast