Notices

User Tag List

Thread: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    ally0000 Guest
    Hi All,

I have just had new front brake pads fitted by my local (non-Audi) garage, I've used them quite a few times and them seem OK. This was last week and I noticed on Sunday when I was driving over cobbles with the window down that there is a loud rattling noise coming from the front end.

I called the garage and it was back in there on Thursday and they said the pads have not worn into the disks yet and I need to drive the car for a couple of weeks and to brake harder. I asked them what was actually rattling and he said that it was the brake pad rattling in the caliper (I think he said the caliper, can't remember exactly). To be honest this sounds a little dodgy, can't imagine why pads that are not 'bedded in' should rattle.

I mentioned this issue to a guy at work who tinkers with cars and he said that pad should NOT rattle and should no be loose in there, he said that if it was loose then the clips that hold the pads are worn and are not 'springy' enough. He said that if the disks are worn then they should have had them replaced too.

Not being mechanically minded I wanted to ask you guys what your take on this is, I think the people at the garage are not telling me everything. I am considering going to Kwik-fit this weekend and just asking them to have a look at my 'new rattle at the front end'.

Thanks a lot,

Ally

0 0 0

2. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check the spring clip on the calliper is clipped in (or even there)

Check the brake splash shield thingummy bob isn't rattling against the dics/wheel - if it is, bend it back a bit.

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

3. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    ally0000 Guest
    Thanks for the picture, Ihave printed it and will check after work, I forgot to mention that when I press the brakes the rattling stops.

0 0 0

4. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like the clip to me - it's a fairly common issue.

Could be the calliper pins, could be that they didn't use any anti-squeak, etc

Considering selling my VCDS KEY-USB interface. If you're interested please contact me via PM or email.

0 0 0

5. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    ally0000 Guest
    Thanks Sam, is the anti-squeak an Audi only thing or is that common accross most makes?

0 0 0

6. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's a common product, usually supplied with new pads.

Anti-Squeal, Anti-Squeak, brake paste, etc

0 0 0

7. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    ally0000 Guest
    can understand the need for anti-squeek but my pads are rattling, surely some grease can't stop the rattle, is this right, sorry for needing clarity.

cheers

0 0 0

8. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've always applied it and I've yet to have a (brake) rattle.

The pad moves around in the calliper which causes squeals and sometimes rattles (altho as above, the rattle is usually the spring clips) - using grease stops this.

0 0 0

9. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    ally0000 Guest
    Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply, I'll ask them if they applied the grease, in your opinion does their suggestion of "you need to drive the car for a couple of weeks and to brake harder" make any sense, not sure I understand that part. They were talking about champhers on the pads.

0 0 0

10. Re: New front pads fitted, now there is a rattle 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    also depends on what pad was fitted
    crap pads = rattle

1 0 0