Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I'm looking for a new daily driver for work and have been considering an A4 (B6) with any of the 1.9TDI engines (and either saloon or avant models). Hopefully someone on here will be able to help me answer a number of queries I have about them:

1) I see the 1.9TDI engines come in 100, 115 and 130bhp variants. The 100bhp model is a bit cheaper to tax which is an obvious attraction, but is this particular engine a bit too weak for the size/weight of the car?

2) What are the serving intervals and major service mileages for them (ie when is the cambelt supposed to be replaced)?. I'm sure i've read before that the Golf tdi's must be run on a particular type of oil - is this the case with the 1.9TDI's in the A4s? Should I be looking for one with a FASH or will an independant service history be ok?

3) What are the servicing costs like? (both main dealer and independant)

4) Do high miles pose any significant problems with these cars? I'd like to buy one with as little miles as possible, but my low budget looks to be pointing towards ones with upwards of 120K on them.

5) What sort of real world MPG are people getting with them - the book figures are around 50MPG (combined), but are these accurate?

6) Are there any common problems I should be looking out for when viewing them?

7) Do the rear seats on the saloon models fold forward to allow access to the boot?

Thanks,

Agar

VW Golf GTI Anniversary - No. 1268 - 44K Minter.

0 0 0

2. Re: A4 (B6) 1.9TDI Buying Advice & Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    The A4 B6 is an excellent motor,mine is the 100 bhp,nothing underpowered about it,anyway if you wanted more power a remap is all it takes,servicing is best at 10k,although in its earlier life it would probably been on longlife,serviced by a VAG garage,good indie servicing is also ok provided they put the correct oil in like your mate said pump deuse oil is essential.High miles are not a problem(do a search and you will find 200ks plus.)mines done 115k,just run in.cam belt & tensioner should be done about 60kish,check water pumps been done at the same time,so a 120k miler should have had 2 belt changes.Mpg wise it'll do about 45-50,service history is essential,regular oil changes are vital to longevity.

0 0 0

3. Re: A4 (B6) 1.9TDI Buying Advice & Questions 
    tony-1977 Guest
    Had mine for a couple of weeks now. It's the 1.9TDI 130 SPORT. It has nearly 147k on it now. Changed the front pads this morning. Old ones came out no probs and new ones straight on. No stiffness in caliper slides. It's given no problems at all and it used daily. Drives like it is new. It's returning about 48-50 to the gallon. Even more on the motorway. Use PD oil every 9 - 10k miles and it'll last years :-)

Servicing costs are realistic for DIY servicing. Use Euro Car Parts or similar. Oil and filter approx £30. Air filter approx £5. Front pads £20. Better than main dealer prices!

The rear seats do fold forward to allow boot access :-)

0 0 0

4. Re: A4 (B6) 1.9TDI Buying Advice & Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony-1977 View Post
    Had mine for a couple of weeks now. It's the 1.9TDI 130 SPORT. It has nearly 147k on it now. Changed the front pads this morning. Old ones came out no probs and new ones straight on. No stiffness in caliper slides. It's given no problems at all and it used daily. Drives like it is new. It's returning about 48-50 to the gallon. Even more on the motorway. Use PD oil every 9 - 10k miles and it'll last years :-)

Servicing costs are realistic for DIY servicing. Use Euro Car Parts or similar. Oil and filter approx £30. Air filter approx £5. Front pads £20. Better than main dealer prices!

The rear seats do fold forward to allow boot access :-)
    Cheers guys for the helpful replies.

With regards to the PD oil, is there a specific type/manufacturer of oil which is prefered? I.e. is there a code/manufacturer I should look for on the service history printout?

VW Golf GTI Anniversary - No. 1268 - 44K Minter.

0 0 0

5. Re: A4 (B6) 1.9TDI Buying Advice & Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    The VW spec is 505.01 for older vehicles,make sure its got .01 at the end not.00,doubt it will say that on service history though, most of the leading makers have oil which will meet or exceed that spec.

0 0 0

6. Re: A4 (B6) 1.9TDI Buying Advice & Questions 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    folding rear seats were an optional extra

0 0 0