Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help.

My A4 2.0Tdi advant was running ok till this morning when it just stopped in a car park and the red ABS warning light came on in the dash and was telling me to check the brake fluid level.
    The brake fluid level is ok but the car wont even turn over all I'm getting is a click when I try to start the car.
    I also try to jump start the car with a booster and tried to jump it with a tow but nothing so that would make me think that the battery and starter are not the problem.
    Got the car towed home and did a VCDS scan on it and the scan is coming back with no faults.

So I'm hoping that someone out there might have so idea what is after happening cause when it comes to the world of electrics it could be anything.

Thanks in advance for any help

0 0 0

2. Re: 2005 A4 2.0Tdi not starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Take the battery off the car and charge it.
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

3. Re: 2005 A4 2.0Tdi not starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Was thinking off doing that, was just looking at one or two other threads + one or two people have come across problems with the ABS warning light coming on and it been caused by a weak battery.
    But I'm if it was just a weak battery wouldn't jump starting it still start it.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2005 A4 2.0Tdi not starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    jump starts don't always work when your battery is knackered.
    A4 2.5 tdi QS (mapped)

0 0 0

5. Re: 2005 A4 2.0Tdi not starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Kite is spot on, even trying to charge a faulty battery wont work.
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper ŁŁŁ

1 0 0

6. Re: 2005 A4 2.0Tdi not starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to let anyone who is watching this post.

The problem started Tues morning so I had the car to the local audi workshop by midday on Wed cause after having a look at it myself tues I knew that the crankshaft was locked up.
    They started off thinking that it first could be the flywheel/clutch... It wasn't
    Then they checked the timing belt and the valves on the head.... Wasn't these either
    So I'm just off the phone with them and it turns out that the cause of the sudden stop was the chain that drives the oil pump from the crankshaft broke and wrapped itself around the crankshaft locking it up causing the car to stop.

This is were the fun starts.

Audi don't do the chains anymore for the oil pump so the workshop are saying that I'll have to get a new oil pump with a gear on it along with 2 new gears that will allow it to connect to the crankshaft and also buy a new sump that will allow for the new gear set up to fit into AND they want me to pay for it as they wont cover it as the car is 5 years old.
    Also obviously i'll have to pay for a new head gasket etc for the other bits + pieces to go back on to.....

Thats the story so far so I'll ley ye know how it goes on Monday

0 0 0

7. Re: 2005 A4 2.0Tdi not starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Oh dear! sorry to hear the news, shame it wasnt just a battery problem.
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper ŁŁŁ

0 0 0

8. Re: 2005 A4 2.0Tdi not starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could you give us some details of the history of the car. As in dealer service history, when and where it was purchased from. Although audi deny it, there is strong evidence that the oil pump drive train has a design flaw. That's why they have replaced it with gears and not chain. If the car has been serviced to audi's warrenty standards then you could take it to a small claims court. But don't just take my word for it, do your research for this problem.
    Audi A4 saloon, 2.0L tdi s-line. Retrofitted cruise control, DIS and MFSW. VCDS user.

0 0 0

9. Re: 2005 A4 2.0Tdi not starting 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Same thing happened to my car and the mechanic said that the oil pan gasket set should be replaced. I will consult other mechanics first because the first one was quite unconvincing.
    Last edited by mikeross; 23-06-2010 at 02:58 AM.

0 0 0