Notices

• VW Audi Forum - The # 1 Volkswagen (VW) Group Forum

VW Audi Forum - The #1 Volkswagen (VW) Forum Dedicated to the whole Volkswagen (VW) Group

VW Audi Forum - The #1 Volkswagen (VW) Forum Dedicated to the whole Volkswagen (VW) Group of vehicles including Volkswagen (VW), Audi, Seat, Skoda, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini and Porsche

Topics covered include Volkswagen (VW) Group news & reviews, owners gallery, advice and general information on everything related to the Volkswagen group of vehicles

Including owners and enthusiats of Volkswagen (VW), Audi, Seat, Skoda, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti and Porsche

• Is the A5 2.0TFSI a Better Choice Than the RS5?

ďI want the fastest possible, new RS/AMG/M car!Ē Thatís something that I, and probably lots of you, have thought when considering which new model to go for. For enthusiasts like us, itís the natural way to think about your next purchase. So, when I was testing, not the second most powerful, but third down the list of quickest Audi A5 based models, the 2.0l TFSI, I was surprised to start thinking that it might be the pick of the bunch.

Youíre probably already thinking that I should hand in my V-Power card, but bear with me.

Audiís latest A5 is a striking bit of design from a company that has been ultra-conservative over the last 10 years. Plum for the RS5 or S5 variety and they do look more purposeful, but the difference is nowhere near as large as it was on say they B5 RS4 compared to a rep spec model.

Letís start by looking at the stats for three of the petrol models:
    A5 2.0 TFSI, 252 PS, 370Nm 1,390 kg, 181PS/ton (remap to 300PS = 215PS/ton)
    S5, 354PS, 500Nm, 1,660 kg, 213PS/ton
    RS5, 450PS, 600Nm, 1,665 kg, 270Ps/ton

Thereís no denying how much of a monster the RS5 is, however with a simple £500 remap the 2.0 TFSI can achieve a higher PS/ton then the S5.

Stats are all well and interesting but itís how the cars feel on the road that counts, and this is where the 2.0l impresses most. While Iíve not driven the current RS5, what the smaller engined A5 has going for it is weight, or lack thereof. Get yourself onto a twisty bit of country road and it actually feels a lot more nimble than you might expect.

I managed to get myself out for a few spirited runs but didnít find time for taking the car on my goto challenge road, the B743 Strathaven to Muirkirk.

While many people will be used to this engine in the Golf/Leon/Octavia, the A5 feels much like a true sports car with its coupe styling and lower driving position. Itís easy to forget just how much more enjoyable this setup is when going for a fun drive as opposed to the normal daily grind.

Power wise, the car feels quick enough that youíll be having fun. Itís not going to pin you to the seat back and the noise is good, rather than shouty and exciting. Mash the throttle when exiting a corner or go for an overtake and thereís enough grunt to make this feel like a genuine, junior sports car.

Traction, as you would expect from the Quattro system, is brilliant and I was surprised at just how sharp the steering felt. Take the A5 through a series of corners at speed and it handled very well, with very little pitch. The brakes also seemed more than up to the job Ė although, as I mentioned before, this wasnít as full a workout as Iíd hoped to give the car.

Inside the A5 is very much what you would expect from Audi. The seats are comfortable, the controls are well laid out and the paddle shifters are nicely placed. The A5 is undoubtedly a pleasant and quiet place to spend time.

Practicality wise, the A5 is exactly what you would expect from a small coupe. I used the car for a family trip (wife, two year old and new born) and while it managed ok, and the boot did a pretty good job of swallowing everything, this isnít something Iíd like to do on a regular basis.

Summing up the A5 is difficult. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed driving it but I kept wondering if the TT, with the same engine, would have been more fun and if Iíd rather have the practicality of the A4. The current Audi range really does have something to suit every circumstance. Given a free choice, and without budget constraints, Iíd probably still plum for the monstrous RS5....or RS4 or RS6.....
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Is the A5 2.0TFSI a Better Choice Than the RS5? started by Andrew[MG] View original post
    Comments 1 Comment
      french_audi -
      Certainly the choice of which A5 can be considered based on power but the S5 and RS5 are going to offer a better handling package that will offer the driver more fun.
      Saying that I think the 2.0TFSi is an excellent engine and I've ordered a A4 Allroad with this engine.
      Who offers the best engine upgrade though?
  • AutoComSoft VIS Info System

VW Audi Forum - UK Sole Distributor for the AutoComSoft Vis Info System

The IDEAL companion for the VCDS user

• PayPal Donation

If you like this website, and would like to give something in return, you can make a donation. Your donation will be used to help pay for hosting service, and on improving the website and facilities for members. If you would like to make a donation, please enter your amount and follow the PayPal link.

• Recent Forum Posts

andyhud007

Brake Pad Warning - Costs?

Urgh.. 25K on the clock and brake pad warning has come on

Dealer has quoted me £360 for fronts (inc fitting/parts/vat) and £335 for rears

andyhud007 Today, 05:01 PM Go to last post
    andyhud007

Re: Time to say Goodbye

Dave, sorry that it seems you may be moving on to another car... its all personal choice at the end of the day and I'm sure we all respect that regardless

andyhud007 Today, 04:58 PM Go to last post
    Gazwould

Re: Hankook 22" tyres with rim protection

Pics with pound coins on protector .

Gazwould Today, 04:41 PM Go to last post
    jameshop2017

Water in Audi A4 Convertable

I have an issue with a water leak on my Audi A4 Convertible 2005. This has water appearing in the drivers footwell. The drain grommets under the battery

jameshop2017 Today, 03:45 PM Go to last post
    fronty

Hankook 22" tyres with rim protection

I have massive rim protection "ridges" on my 22" tyres, I was a little sceptical at first, but I kerbed both nearside wheels yesterday,

fronty Today, 03:43 PM Go to last post
    fronty

Re: Fingerprint sensors?

Ah good point, I don't have mangled fingers, I can see that yes, it could be a massive problem for some people.

fronty Today, 03:30 PM Go to last post
    Clownfist

Re: Obd eleven and Carista

Ok buddy thanks , thatís what I was starting to think .
    Carista works well but canít do the video in motion conversion that OBDeleven can .

Clownfist Today, 01:53 PM Go to last post
    carbonman

Re: No ignition, Please remove load off steering wheel error.

Pretty much - it was about £398 all in fairly even split i think £220 ish for the fix on the module - rest labour to remove and refit...

carbonman Today, 01:50 PM Go to last post
    carbonman

Re: Poor performance and reduced MPG

Yes the whole column was out as it got sent away for repair - that was my initial thought that something wasnt put back in which has allowed the noise

carbonman Today, 01:46 PM Go to last post
    AlyM

Re: New to the C7

Hi all, today I fitted the new Fan jet spray nozzles that are on the facelift model! 5 minutes and £20 very cheap and effective mod...

Part

AlyM Today, 01:43 PM Go to last post
    AlyM

Re: Obd eleven and Carista

Carista can work with some ELM 327 dongles but not all. OBD Eleven as it can do long coding is specific to their own dongle so that has to be purchased

AlyM Today, 01:42 PM Go to last post
    swwalker

Re: Poor performance and reduced MPG

odd the way i would tackle this is - sounds (pun) like you have a grommet out on the bulk head to allow noise in, did the workshop have the whole column

swwalker Today, 01:24 PM Go to last post
    tapster

Buying an A6 c6 S-line special edition 2.0tdi

Hi all

I've bought a 2011 2.0tdi S-Line Special Edition Avant which will be arriving next week after a couple if minor things are getting

tapster Today, 01:19 PM Go to last post
    Clownfist

Dash cam wiring

Where abouts are you guys wiring in your dash cams ? I have an amazon cheapy which I have mounted to the screen ok but I obviously want to hide the wire

Clownfist Today, 01:09 PM Go to last post
    JPK Q7

Re: Help! Damaged pipe when taking off oil filter housing

Hi 786sam I suppose your well sorted by now but I believe I might have had the same problem as you, I believe its in the line from the extra water pump

JPK Q7 Today, 12:35 PM Go to last post

• Recent Blog Posts

PFJones

Most recent towbar fitting locations

Some the areas we have fitted towbars last couple of months.

Ashford...

PFJones 06-12-2017 03:39 PM

Disclaimer: VW Audi Forum is an "independant enthusiast website", administered in line with guidelines supplied by VAG in the UK, and is in no way related to any of the Worldwide Volkswagen,Audi,Seat,Skoda,Bentley,Bugatti,Porsche or Lamborghini group of Companies. For official up to date information on any of there vehicles, please visit the official websites. Any comments made throughout this website, are the views of the respective poster, and in no way represent the views of the VW Audi Forum Administration, or the worldwide Volkswagen & Audi Group of companies.

VW Audi Forum do not vet and are not responsible for any information which is posted in this forum. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and we do not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information.

Copyright: Certain "words", "phrases" and "Images" used on this website by the Administration are "Copyright" of Volkswagen GB, Volkswagen AG (Germany), Audi GB, Audi AG (Germany), Volkswagen Motorsport GB, Volkswagen Motorsport AG (Germany), Audi Motorsport AG (Germany), Volkswagen Racing GB, Bentley, Bugatti, Porsche and Lamborghini. No image can be replicated by anyone WITHOUT the relevant Companies written permission.

All trademarks and copyrights remain property of their respective owners.

No part of the VW Audi Forum website or forum may be reproduced without written permission from the site administration

PLEASE NOTE - PERSONAL ABUSE, ABUSE AGAINST THIS OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE OR ANY COMPANY WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. OFFENDERS WILL BE MODERATED OR EVEN BANNED.

This website and forum are best viewed at a minimum resolution of 1024 by 768.

- VW AUDI Forum - The #1 Volkswagen (VW) Group Forum - Volkswagen (VW) - Audi - Seat - Skoda - Bentley - Bugatti - Lamborghini - Porsche - VW Audi Forum -

- www.vwaudiforum.co.uk - www.vwaudiforum.co.uk -