PDA

View Full Version : Touran - Towbar Electrics Problem

Googlewack
05-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi,

Car: Touran SE 2.0 TDI 140ps - 54 Plate

Car purchased second hand from main dealer with towbar fitted. It has two sockets (12n & 12s PCT).

I have had to replace the sockets due to one being damaged. During change, two cables accidentaly touched causing a small spark :Blush2:. After completing job the sockets no longer work. I checked the owners manual for fuses, however the stated fuses for towbar (2,40,41 under dash) are not fitted.

Any suggestions as to where fuse(s) may be as a starting point to trouble shooting?

Thanks,
GW

martin1810
07-06-2010, 09:35 AM
If it is an aftermarkey towbar it may have a bypass relay fitted. If you have lost all electrics, the bypass relay has probably lost it's power feed. Check your battery to see if an extra 12v "+" wire with a fuse has been added. Have you got a rear cigarette lighter/power socket and has this stopped working. Sometimes fitters take the feed from that. You may have to start removing trim to follow the wires. You could try testing every fuse you have in the hope of finding a blown one. Search under the dash for any wire that looks like an addition and follow it. Hope some of this helps.

Googlewack
08-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Martin1810,

Thanks for the info & assistance.

I found two blade type fuses tucked away behind the rear boot trim adjacent to the boot latch area, both these were OK.

After a quick explanation of my work & troubleshooting, a very helpful expert from a local company found the power supply was tapped off the 12V accessory power socket on the R/H/S of the boot & that the fuse to this had blown ( 15A fuse #42 on fuse box under dash). 5 mins & Hey presto all now working!

Thanks to VWAF &

www.tanfieldtowing.co.uk (http://www.tanfieldtowing.co.uk)

Cheers!! :beerchug:

ross1962
19-08-2010, 02:17 AM
I was in a similar situation with a newly bought 2nd hand Octavia. The sockets were rusted out & weren't working even after I replaced them.
Same situation with fuses referenced for the oem towbar - not there.

Thought I was going to have to pay for it to be repaired but thanks to google & your post I checked the rear accessory socket fuse - blown!