PDA

View Full Version : New owner of a '98 A3 1.8T says Hi!

Cornrow
04-06-2010, 03:07 PM
As the title suggests... Hi!

Bought an A3 1.8T today. Unusually for me, without doing a huge amount of research on them before hand. Unless you count test driving a Golf GTI Turbo and a Leon Cupra before deciding I liked the Audi the best!

Bodywork is in great conditon, interior is tidy, book is fully stamped, cambelt changed 10k ago and its only done 73k - pretty good for a '98, I thought...

Got it for a reasonable price, but it isn't free from a few niggles - it's only now on the forum that I'm trying to work out what the causes are!

Most annoying is that it feels hesistant under aceleration. Don't know if its because the previous owner fitted a crap-o dump valve (I bought it from a garage and they were suitably clueless), or if it's a dirty MAF. I've just ordered a replacement airflow sensor today, so we'll see!
If that doesn't get rid of the strangled feel when accelerating, should my next port of call be coil packs, plugs, then fuel filter?

Other jobs on the list include :

A replacement ash tray lid (if you pardon the expression, mine is floppy and won't close)
A replacement parcel shelf for the cracked one in back of mine
Finding out the cause why my trip computer and mpg calculator don't seem to work
A new aerial, because mine has been robbed
Replacing the tired discs and pads (garage put a year ticket on it yesterday and I mentioned the brakes were soft - funny how it still passed!)
Polishing the hell out of it!

Once I have done the last on the list I will post some pictures!

Sorry for the rambling and the deluge of questions - first thing I do when I get a new car is to join an owners club, so I hope I find a good home here!

tazmania4580
04-06-2010, 08:47 PM
hi m8