PDA

View Full Version : Hids too bright!

Puresilk
04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Just installed some 6000K HIDS with 50W ballasts onto my Audi A4 and at night when I turned them on they were just simply way too bright!

My car has the H7 relector lenses and maybe this has something to do with it, but the lights were so bright it loooked like my full beam was on, and I know im going to get flashed by other road users left right and centre.

Im not sure if this is good problem or bad i have seen new Range Rovers and some other new cars with reflector lenses and I have flashed them before as their lights were way too bright.

Anyone else fitter HIDS to their reflector lenses and had this problem?

RickT
04-06-2010, 02:38 PM
As its the reflector lense, what does the beam pattern look like when you park around 8 metres from a wall / garage door ?

Any chance of a photo so i can see if it looks ok ?

The H7 bulbs have a cap at the end to prevent direct light out put, the aftermarket HID will not have this.

Rick

Puresilk
04-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Rick

The beam pattern is all over the place TBH and a metre off the ground when parked 8 metres from the wall.

I rang the HID company and im gonna exchange them for them for the 35w slimline kit which should not be as bright and also get the H7R bulbs which if i am correct have the ends tinted which prevents glare?

I wont put a pic up as ill pop them out before the evening and send them back when i get home.

Flakmunky
05-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Rick

The beam pattern is all over the place TBH and a metre off the ground when parked 8 metres from the wall.

Exactly why you shouldn't fit HIDs to reflectors! :)

Puresilk
06-06-2010, 12:00 PM
unless you for the H7R bulbs which i now have done! ill see if they make a difference!

sooty
11-06-2010, 08:35 PM
unless you for the H7R bulbs which i now have done! ill see if they make a difference!

So what's the difference between the H7 and the H7R's?

Puresilk
14-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Well the first kit I got was 6k with 50w ballsts and H7 bulbs and when they were in the were super bright and the beam pattern was all over the place, but even if I had got that sorted I still felt they were way too bright.

The second kit I got was 6k with 35W ballasts and H7R bulbs which were bright but you can tell the beam pattern is more controlled when driving.

The difference between the H7 and H7R bulb is that the H7R was slightly shorter making it easier to fit and it had a black insert inside the bulb glass which probably stops the light going all over the place.

bez101
14-06-2010, 05:34 PM
who did you get the hids from ?
as theres some shocking quality ones around
iv run H7 6k 8k an 10k and never a prob with them to bright or pattern

Puresilk
14-06-2010, 08:45 PM
I got both sets from Hids Direct

But I think the 50w ballasts on a refelctor headlamp is too bright (well it was on my car anyhow)