PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Woes

tull48
02-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I needed a new windscreen after a stone caused a 12 inch crack whilst I was travelling on the M6.
My insurance company uses AutoWindscreens and after a lengthy conversation about the Mk 6 screen having an additional layer within the laminated screen they decided to order from VW to keep me happy.
The technician arrived today and I inspected the screen.No VW markings just Pilkington.He went to great lengths to convince me it was the correct one and he had fitted one earlier today to a Mk 6. Still unsure and while he was preparing my car I checked the damaged screen of the Mk 6 {in the back of his van} he said he replaced earlier and it had a dealer sticker on it with MOT due Jan 2011: alarm bells start to ring.
I tackled him about it and to cut a long story short he said if I was not happy a new windscreen would be ordered. I was not happy,so off he went,no work carried out.
The penny dropped: he had fitted my replacement screen to a Mk 5 and was about to fit the replacement Mk 5 screen to mine. This was confirmed by the main depot when they rang me.
New screen ordered and to be fitted next Wednesday. fingers crossed.

John.

markus_bms
02-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Confusion over ur text : are you saying that you had your windscreen replaced once before with an Mk5 one and this resulted in the crack..

tull48
02-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Confusion over ur text : are you saying that you had your windscreen replaced once before with an Mk5 one and this resulted in the crack..

No, the damage was to the OE screen.

SC03OTT
02-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Ah I get it. Someone with a mk5 got your mk6 screen and you got their mk5 screen in your mk6?

tull48
02-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Ah I get it. Someone with a mk5 got your mk6 screen and you got their mk5 screen in your mk6?

Yes but was unhappy with the screen so it wasn't actually fitted.

Felixhy
03-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Well spotted John.
How is it that these "experts" who "know their trade" get it so wrong.
You have got to be on the ball all the time.

dataconn
03-06-2010, 12:50 PM
so there is someone running around in a mk5 wondering why its all so quiet all of a sudden!

HHGTTG
03-06-2010, 06:30 PM
I did not think that the screens were the same size on the MK5 and MK6!!

dataconn
03-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I got my MK6 Yesterday, disappointing thing was that there was no dark blue tinted section to the upper most part of the windscreen. It makes a real difference on a sunny day.

Pictures and buying experience to follow, but I thought I'd post about the windscreen here as its vaguley topical.

tull48
09-06-2010, 02:20 PM
After the problems of last week AutoWindsceens arrived with my replacement screen. I checked through the protective plastic and could see VW stamped on the screen so I was happy this time they had brought the correct screen.The damaged screen was removed and on unpacking the new screen it was found to be cracked on one corner.:zx11:
The car sits in my garage,without screen,waiting for yet another replacement.:1zhelp:

John.