PDA

View Full Version : A3 Tdi Battery drain mystery!

moreski
05-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi Guys,
I'm wandering if anyone can help a poor 1999 1.9Tdi (100,000 miles) A3 owner who has to carry a spare battery in his boot and jump leads, because I've maxed out my AA membership call-out with this problem!

I bought the car a year ago and have allways noticed poor starting. This became worse into the winter until one day, the car was too flat to start.

The car had a new battery last summer
The glow plugs were replaced at christmasOnce a fully charged, healthy battery is put in the car (Specific gravities where they should be) unless the car is run every day, it goes flat in about 5-7 days!

Car been to auto-electrician twice now, and they have never seen an appreciable drain (0.08A), alternator fine (they cahnged the relay on it just in case it was that), battery DEFINITELY fine as I now carry a second new one and it happens with that!

This problem has got the auto-electricians baffled and me close to tears, as the car is beautiful, my pride and joy, yet is proving more expensive than a second wife, and all the money is being spent in vain!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys